Skip to main content

Are Foreigner Talent Welcome in Aus Game Industry?

Submitted by low on

greeting for all,

hi, I would like to know is it very hard for foreigner talent (concept/ 3D artist) to work in Australia game industry? I'm a Malaysian chinese and I have just complete computer graphic course in NZ last year. I have interest to work in Australia game industry and I wish to get some information from you guys professional point of view. Thank you very much.Cheers!

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 07/01/05 - 6:14 AM Permalink

think the problem would be more so that the australian development comunity, compaired to most other places in the world, simply is not very big (getting bigger, but i think it is nothing like USA or UK or Japan). think everyone is welcome, but just not that many companies....

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Fri, 07/01/05 - 8:19 PM Permalink

Pretty much where ever you are around the globe, if you have talent and there is an opening you will get in. Get some work togeather on a webpage or something and then send it around to the companies here. If they like your work I'm sure they will let you know and move onto the next stage.

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 14/01/05 - 6:02 PM Permalink

It really depends on the company, some are willing to go through the rigors of relocation, but some developers prefer locals since they are already established in the country, which means they can get them in the office working ASAP. Especially helpful when there are deadlines to meet.

Submitted by groovyone on Fri, 14/01/05 - 8:49 PM Permalink

It may be hard to get in right out of university. To sponsor someone costs money, and companies will not want to fork out unless they are assured you are top notch in your field.

If you are say, an expert at facial animation and a company wants to produce games with high facial content, then you have a good chance of getting a sponsored work visa.

As a student, there are so many students coming out of places like Computer Graphics College here that there is no reason to look overseas for junior positions.

Don't loose hope of what you want, get your experience and keep applying, you never know unless you try.

Best of luck.

Posted by low on

greeting for all,

hi, I would like to know is it very hard for foreigner talent (concept/ 3D artist) to work in Australia game industry? I'm a Malaysian chinese and I have just complete computer graphic course in NZ last year. I have interest to work in Australia game industry and I wish to get some information from you guys professional point of view. Thank you very much.Cheers!

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 07/01/05 - 6:14 AM Permalink

think the problem would be more so that the australian development comunity, compaired to most other places in the world, simply is not very big (getting bigger, but i think it is nothing like USA or UK or Japan). think everyone is welcome, but just not that many companies....

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Fri, 07/01/05 - 8:19 PM Permalink

Pretty much where ever you are around the globe, if you have talent and there is an opening you will get in. Get some work togeather on a webpage or something and then send it around to the companies here. If they like your work I'm sure they will let you know and move onto the next stage.

Submitted by Jason on Fri, 14/01/05 - 6:02 PM Permalink

It really depends on the company, some are willing to go through the rigors of relocation, but some developers prefer locals since they are already established in the country, which means they can get them in the office working ASAP. Especially helpful when there are deadlines to meet.

Submitted by groovyone on Fri, 14/01/05 - 8:49 PM Permalink

It may be hard to get in right out of university. To sponsor someone costs money, and companies will not want to fork out unless they are assured you are top notch in your field.

If you are say, an expert at facial animation and a company wants to produce games with high facial content, then you have a good chance of getting a sponsored work visa.

As a student, there are so many students coming out of places like Computer Graphics College here that there is no reason to look overseas for junior positions.

Don't loose hope of what you want, get your experience and keep applying, you never know unless you try.

Best of luck.