Skip to main content

pixel shader support in opengl?

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

you know, i was under the impression the gforce4 said it could use pixel shaders... and yes it can, but i can only seem to find pixel shader support in dx8/dx9.

in opengl the only pixel shader that i can find is the extension GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER or its similar NV ATI and other precursors... how are you supposed to use ps1.x in opengl if the only cards that support it aren't even in wide circulation yet!?

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 06/06/03 - 10:03 AM Permalink

afaik, it supports "register combiners", which I think is the same as the DX8/9 Sampler and Texture stages

Submitted by AndrewM on Tue, 17/06/03 - 1:44 AM Permalink

Kezza: you need to use NV_register_combiners and NV_texture_shader1/2/3, which gives you more flexibility than DX 1.1-3 "shaders".

You need to use these vendor specific extensions to access the functionailty of these chips. Same for ATI's..
ARB_fragment_program is only for Geforce FX or 9500-9800 etc.

Cheers, Burga

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 18/06/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

*praying for imminent release of OGL 2*

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 19/06/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

wishful thinking imho

Submitted by awf on Thu, 19/06/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

I thought OpenGL2 is going to be released at Siggraph in a month or two.

Submitted by awf on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

The OpenGL Shading Language specification was approved on June 11th 2003 as official ARB extensions. Note: this isn't OpenGL2 but I think thats on the way.

Submitted by Gaffer on Thu, 03/07/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

try using Cg with the OpenGL target.

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

you know, i was under the impression the gforce4 said it could use pixel shaders... and yes it can, but i can only seem to find pixel shader support in dx8/dx9.

in opengl the only pixel shader that i can find is the extension GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_SHADER or its similar NV ATI and other precursors... how are you supposed to use ps1.x in opengl if the only cards that support it aren't even in wide circulation yet!?

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 06/06/03 - 10:03 AM Permalink

afaik, it supports "register combiners", which I think is the same as the DX8/9 Sampler and Texture stages

Submitted by AndrewM on Tue, 17/06/03 - 1:44 AM Permalink

Kezza: you need to use NV_register_combiners and NV_texture_shader1/2/3, which gives you more flexibility than DX 1.1-3 "shaders".

You need to use these vendor specific extensions to access the functionailty of these chips. Same for ATI's..
ARB_fragment_program is only for Geforce FX or 9500-9800 etc.

Cheers, Burga

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 18/06/03 - 12:50 AM Permalink

*praying for imminent release of OGL 2*

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 19/06/03 - 12:07 AM Permalink

wishful thinking imho

Submitted by awf on Thu, 19/06/03 - 1:09 AM Permalink

I thought OpenGL2 is going to be released at Siggraph in a month or two.

Submitted by awf on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

The OpenGL Shading Language specification was approved on June 11th 2003 as official ARB extensions. Note: this isn't OpenGL2 but I think thats on the way.

Submitted by Gaffer on Thu, 03/07/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

try using Cg with the OpenGL target.