Skip to main content

Pen Aid

Submitted by Immortal on
Forum

Hello all. First off i just wanna say thanks heaps to all of u guys, i have only been here under a week, but sumea is the best place to just come and get quick, helpful information, and you all seem like really cool people. I hope i can be as helpful to all of you and just drop me a line if i can do you a favour.

I just bought a new graphics tablet, and i was wondering, what are some good ways to use it? Atm its hard to get use to and not much better than a mouse...i guess once im familiar with it it will b ok...but wat are some good techniques to use with a pen and tablet? Can you set the sensitivity of the nib in photoshop? i have to press like 100/520 b4 it starts making a line. Post any site if u have them...THANKS!

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 05/09/03 - 11:18 PM Permalink

- Can you set the sensitivity of the nib in photoshop?
Not that I know of. But in Painter you can.

- I have to press like 100/520 b4 it starts making a line.
You probably need to set the pressure sensitivety in the tablets config software, I did with my Wacom.

As for any techniques for using it, its just a matter of using it regulary, soon you won't even look at the pad and it will feel perfectly natural.

Also maybe try sitting it on your lap if your having trouble with it on your desk.

Submitted by Immortal on Sat, 06/09/03 - 12:54 AM Permalink

Thanks mal. Yeh i guess it is a matter of intuition. Tried it on my lap...its different but not sure if better or worse....hehe. So far the best use i am getting is ussing the lassoo tool-its less jumpy than the mouse and alot more receptive. havnt quite got the knack of sketching with it yet, but it IS better than mouse!! prob is i hav a reaaaly good mouse....which discourages me from pen use. But im sure ill get used to it thx.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 06/09/03 - 6:20 AM Permalink

When I first got my tablet, I kept going back to the mouse. But soon I got used to the pen I didnt need the mouse. Nowdays, I cant even imagine using the mouse over a tablet!! :)

Posted by Immortal on
Forum

Hello all. First off i just wanna say thanks heaps to all of u guys, i have only been here under a week, but sumea is the best place to just come and get quick, helpful information, and you all seem like really cool people. I hope i can be as helpful to all of you and just drop me a line if i can do you a favour.

I just bought a new graphics tablet, and i was wondering, what are some good ways to use it? Atm its hard to get use to and not much better than a mouse...i guess once im familiar with it it will b ok...but wat are some good techniques to use with a pen and tablet? Can you set the sensitivity of the nib in photoshop? i have to press like 100/520 b4 it starts making a line. Post any site if u have them...THANKS!

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 05/09/03 - 11:18 PM Permalink

- Can you set the sensitivity of the nib in photoshop?
Not that I know of. But in Painter you can.

- I have to press like 100/520 b4 it starts making a line.
You probably need to set the pressure sensitivety in the tablets config software, I did with my Wacom.

As for any techniques for using it, its just a matter of using it regulary, soon you won't even look at the pad and it will feel perfectly natural.

Also maybe try sitting it on your lap if your having trouble with it on your desk.

Submitted by Immortal on Sat, 06/09/03 - 12:54 AM Permalink

Thanks mal. Yeh i guess it is a matter of intuition. Tried it on my lap...its different but not sure if better or worse....hehe. So far the best use i am getting is ussing the lassoo tool-its less jumpy than the mouse and alot more receptive. havnt quite got the knack of sketching with it yet, but it IS better than mouse!! prob is i hav a reaaaly good mouse....which discourages me from pen use. But im sure ill get used to it thx.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 06/09/03 - 6:20 AM Permalink

When I first got my tablet, I kept going back to the mouse. But soon I got used to the pen I didnt need the mouse. Nowdays, I cant even imagine using the mouse over a tablet!! :)