Skip to main content

Infinite Dolo. What game would you make?

Submitted by sho nuff on
Forum

If you had to sell a game to a board of investors who were willing to pour there billions into your project, so long as there was profit to be made, what type of game would you create? Would it be an Fps? Rts? Sport? Adventure? or a mixture of genres. What 'edge' would you give to your game to raise it above all others?

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 05/07/03 - 4:00 AM Permalink

I'd like to create an FPS/RPG combo. Instead of going through level after level, you would be able to venture anywhere you want mostly anytime in the game, so it would be similar to a MMOPRG. Of course it wouldn't be entirely dynamic, but I would like it to have quite a bit of freedom to it.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 05/07/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

MMORPG twitch shooter with vehicles and all that funky shit, able to handle thousands of people in the same place at the same time so you could have truly massive warfare battles. And there would be as much emphasis on co-operation as possible, vehicles able to hold many people (like big gunboat sorta things) weapons (like artillery) that required multiple people to operate etc.
Or something like that :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/07/03 - 3:00 AM Permalink

My dream game to make would be a 3d platformer with an online multiplayer mode.. single player would be a mix of MANY different playing styles, and would have a great story to back it up too [:)]... multiplayer would be a little similar to Enemy Territory (you'd have player classes and mission objectives), but it'll be in third person view, and instead of shooting at your opponents, you'd be trapping/delaying them while trying to get further on your objectives. Would be nice if it was 56k modem friendly too. I'd release the multiplayer part for free with only 5 missions, with the retail having much more... retail version would also be needed to play mods and whatnot though.. I reckon platformers on the PC can still make it good! [:)] It certainly wouldn't cost billions of dollars to make though.. could probably do it with the Quake 1 engine..

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 07/07/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

I'd probably make a allegory soaked, story/character driven 3D FP game with no guns in sight.

But then I'd do that with zero bucks as well :)

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 07/07/03 - 8:59 AM Permalink

A big one...

That's what you usually do with a lot of free money.

Submitted by lava monkey on Mon, 07/07/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Well for starters I think the type of game I would make if I was given that chance wouldn?t be the type of game that a publisher would want to publish, cause its too weird or its not exactly the same as every other game on the market.

I would make an adventure game in part, but I would make it as no-linier as possible, the characters would all be AI (chatter-boxes) and would react differently based on hundreds of different reasons. You could play the game however you wanted you could be the bad guy if you wanted. But there would be other AI characters with conflicting goals to you all the time, and characters that you could work with and help. The sound + music would also we AI based, it would change and alter the score to suit the type of situations you get yourself in. Likewise with the camera system, it would position it self to create drama or whatever based on the situation, like a ?Director AI?. Basically it would be a game without the limits of a script, but then you would still free like your doing something useful because of how the AI interacts with your character. A self-scripting game, a smart-game..
But I wouldn?t want to make it too smart or it would put me out of the job.

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 07/07/03 - 11:57 AM Permalink

would make something that could be finished in 6 months, (ie, a small project) and after taking a year to finish it, then try to make a big project..... so start with a 2d fighter, then the rpg...

Submitted by Ionized on Mon, 07/07/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Something similar to what theif 3 was initially going to be. A giant living, breathing city where you have a house, car, bank account. Set sometime in the future, you play a private eye. You can basically walk around this city doing your day to day things and people come to you with cases for you to work on. You can be a good guy or a bad guy. You can buy, steal or rent everything from clothes to cars. You have to do things like eat food, pay your bills and meet your contacts at the right time and the right place. I guess it's a cross detween dues ex, the sims and shem mue. I feel pretty confident that one day someone will make a game like that... it just wont be me...hehe.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 07/07/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

redwyre: I was going to say that!! Why make anything other than another reality with infinite boundries.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 08/07/03 - 3:25 AM Permalink

What if humans were only limited by their creativity? Think of what we could achieve...

Think about how Half-Life 2 is different from every other game, it is fully interactive. But imagine, as lava_monkey says, if there was no pre-writen story? What if the game evolved around you?

And what if we were not limited by pathetic devices such as a mouse and keyboard?

I'll tell you, that would be one *awesome* RPG.

I can't wait for the future.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 4:15 AM Permalink

I would make a MMORPG, with a base around do what you wish with a world which was as dynamic as possblie right down to things like grass growing and hair growing over time. It would be sci-if based but with cool personally/and group spells (which would be something to do with programs that you could load into yourself.) add to this vehicles (and muitperson vehicles) house or places to live in for your character (were poeple are unable to get into if the door is lock so you can have your character sleep, and if you did get back before you log-off you have to find a save place to sleep, if not you can sleep anyway but people can help themself to you.)

Shit i could go on and on, best stop i think you all get the idea.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:15 AM Permalink

I don't think HL:2 is going to be 'fully interactive', it's just got more interactivity than the first one (which is to say, almost none), and secondly, it's not different to every other game out there....but it does move the bar a bit higher in some areas.

Personally, I hope the future isn't a world limited only by our creativity :)

For starters, we aren't exactly that restricted at the moment in terms of creativity, but we still make extremely derivative games, and secondly, when we are limited only by creativity, the effort and the journey of discovery is oh so crap.

But that's just me!!!

There's a fine line between making an alternate reality because we can't make our own reality enjoyable enough, and making games. If the future is the first part of that statement - then I'm going to go spare :)

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:58 AM Permalink

Silly Maitrek, you have your arms tied behind your back and you don't know it! :)

If what you see on the screen is not what you see in your mind, then you are being limited.

There will be a time when you can create anything you can think of, that is when it is US that is limiting creation.

I think that is worth every dollar.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Maitrek:

quote:There's a fine line between making an alternate reality because we can't make our own reality enjoyable enough, and making games.

Personally I'm enjoying my reality, and if an alternative reality was akin to the Matrix in complexitiy then I'm sure you could find something you would like, even if your game in that world is sitting in a field all by yourself.

Like Redwyre said, it would only be limited by your creativity, I could think of some cool games if we had our hands on the Matrix V1.0 engine. [:P]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

alternate reality from my point of view is so that you can do all them things you are unable to do here in the real world. Why do you thing that GTA 3 was a big hit. so many poeple have seen a nice car and wish they could drive it, but to do this you would end up in jail (or a big fine) and the rest of your life would be changed. with a game you could do this and get out of jail the next day, and if thing get to fucked up you can hit the reset button.

so petty much poeple (i think) don't want an alternate reality, they want a reset button.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 08/07/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

Oh how I hate having a differing opinion :)
I'm just a different person....the point of my message was, I'm not really interested in the 'object' that I create. Sure I have a lot of vision for what it is and what it could be, *but*, pretty much 90% of the pride comes from the effort and the ingenuity required to recreate the vision, using the tools that I have been granted. If there was no challenge in doing that, then I'd go find something better to do with my time!

Plus we'd all be out of jobs! Everyone in the world has their own imagination, they wouldn't need ours. Simulating dreams, hopes and desires would be exactly the same as if you were to just dream them... To me games fulfil a different need than purely imaginative espacism, although that (escapism) surely is one of them.

It's not the truth, and it's not the "right" or "wrong" way of thinking. It's just my way of thinking! Picture the world from my warped perspective for a second, then forget about it, and stick with your own! That's all these messages should be - an insight to another perspective...

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Yeah I see.

just a side note. I don't think that game desginer would ever be out of a job from a game or program that ables you to have full control of what you can do or use or think of. because this wouldn't be all that fun, one of the things I like about game so much is that you get to go inside someone eles head and see there way of thinking.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 11:40 PM Permalink

I thought the thread was what would you do with unlimited cashola, we all love the challenges and process of the development cycle, other wise why be in (or trying to get in) this industry, I can think of alot less stressful ones but I love the stress (freak).

quote:To me games fulfil a different need than purely imaginative espacism, although that (escapism) surely is one of them.

Want to finish this point, I was interested and also partially agree. What other roles?

Doord's pretty right saying game developers wouldn't bet out of a job, not everyone has a great imagination and they might want to still enjoy it, therefore games/worlds needs developing, coders would be fine and artists would need to conceive and design still.

Maitrek: I'm glad you have a different opinion, differences breed new thought, world would be pretty short of creative ideas if we all agreed, hell sometimes I'm even proven wrong lol. [:)]

Doord: Ah the reset button, one of lifes most precious tools lol.
Does anyone else try and press CTRL-Z when they screw up a pencil sketch instead of reaching for the eraser? I did it the other day, I broke a glass at home, "ctrl-z", oops that won't work.

Scary.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

Back on topic, boy I get distracted easily here.

I'd make a game where everyone played as me, I'd have a cape and theme music but thats it, no special powers just me going about life ...with a cape... and theme music.

Any publishers out there interested lol.

BTW: reznor/lava monkey, God wants his jumper back. [:P]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 09/07/03 - 1:11 AM Permalink

Yes, i look for Ctrl-Z all the time. For just about anything. The last time it did it was pureing a grass of OJ this morning and miss the grass a little. I know this is petty sad, a only get like this when i have been modeling, texturing, drawing or animating all day on a computer. Which is most of the time these days.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 09/07/03 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Actually, one game I wouldn't mind seeing is an MMORPG based on something like feudal japan way back in the day - plenty of melee and easy women back then! Would also make for some interesting things like honour codes and allegiances etc etc, a easily exploitable setting that will probably get taken up long before I'd ever pitch it to a publisher. Plus you could do Kung Fu (yeah I know that's actually chinese, but who cares anyway, most people think it's all karate).

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/07/03 - 2:04 PM Permalink

I would like to make a killer VR game.. [:)] There's gotta be a game that'll bring back those Virtual Reality headsets in fashion.. I can see a lot of you want a game environment that's closer and closer to reality, but I think VR helmets are another way to get a player to feel immersed in a game - it just needs a good boot up the backside and a killer title. I don't think I've ever really felt immersed in a game - I'm always aware I'm looking at a square screen.
There's probably a million game design issues that have to be overcome (how do you move, jump, or shoot?), along with problems from wearing a headset for long periods of time causes, and I'm sure VR headsets are impractical for many types of games... but darnit, bring back Virtual Reality! [:)] It's been over a decade now since the VR hype (many showcased running on an Amiga 1000 no less) has died off..

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 09/07/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Yeah I remember those VR headsets. Very cool! But like you said, there are plenty of interface issues to overcome. I imagine that they (the headsets) would be pretty small nowadays, there's plenty of tech floating around that the headset would probably be tiny compared to those huge chunky things you had to wear back in the day!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

I think I must be the only person who doesn't want virtual reality. I want to see games evolved to a more social aspect. For me, nothing beats gaming with friends in the same room.

As a predominantly console gamer, I think developers would do well to work a large number of commands into fewer buttons - after all, games often turn people off due to their complexity. Any idiot can make something more complicated.

I think perhaps voice recognition, and as I remember hearing at AGDC2001 - a wristband that measured pulses and accomodated the gameplay accordingly would be a good start. Somehow,I think the next innovations are going to come when the hardware/peripherals allow it.

I think if I had infinite dolo - I'd like to use it to subsidise extra pieces of hardware that shipped with the game. ie - a FPS (don't groan yet) where a floorpad (like DDR) was used in conjunction with a lightgun. My main gripe with FPS's is that clicking a mouse button is nothing like pulling a trigger. The floorpad would be the 'WASD' and a button where your little finger is on the gun handle, a button could be pressed to activate the 'look' feature like a mouse (by moving the gun). If the button isnt pressed, then the screen stays stable - it'd be reasonably intuitive I think. As a twist, I'd have the game as an arcade format, with 8 player mode (like Daytona cabinets) and link ups to other arcades around the country/world.

As a side tangent - is anyone seeing massive potential in the PS2 Eyetoy? Does anyone think that this could come as standard for PS3?

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Thu, 10/07/03 - 3:28 AM Permalink

I am an anime nut so i would try to make a game with anime style GFX. But i would like to make an MMORPG like the one depicted in the series .hack//sign
total character control, so you can actually act and other players will be able to see all your emotions through the character.
I would like to make a game with essentailly real world like intereactions in a completely unreal world.

Submitted by Cloud on Sun, 07/09/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

I would make a game like final fantasy but you look through the eyes of the main character in a virual reality helmet, complete with gloves.

Posted by sho nuff on
Forum

If you had to sell a game to a board of investors who were willing to pour there billions into your project, so long as there was profit to be made, what type of game would you create? Would it be an Fps? Rts? Sport? Adventure? or a mixture of genres. What 'edge' would you give to your game to raise it above all others?

Submitted by Major Clod on Sat, 05/07/03 - 4:00 AM Permalink

I'd like to create an FPS/RPG combo. Instead of going through level after level, you would be able to venture anywhere you want mostly anytime in the game, so it would be similar to a MMOPRG. Of course it wouldn't be entirely dynamic, but I would like it to have quite a bit of freedom to it.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 05/07/03 - 9:25 AM Permalink

MMORPG twitch shooter with vehicles and all that funky shit, able to handle thousands of people in the same place at the same time so you could have truly massive warfare battles. And there would be as much emphasis on co-operation as possible, vehicles able to hold many people (like big gunboat sorta things) weapons (like artillery) that required multiple people to operate etc.
Or something like that :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Mon, 07/07/03 - 3:00 AM Permalink

My dream game to make would be a 3d platformer with an online multiplayer mode.. single player would be a mix of MANY different playing styles, and would have a great story to back it up too [:)]... multiplayer would be a little similar to Enemy Territory (you'd have player classes and mission objectives), but it'll be in third person view, and instead of shooting at your opponents, you'd be trapping/delaying them while trying to get further on your objectives. Would be nice if it was 56k modem friendly too. I'd release the multiplayer part for free with only 5 missions, with the retail having much more... retail version would also be needed to play mods and whatnot though.. I reckon platformers on the PC can still make it good! [:)] It certainly wouldn't cost billions of dollars to make though.. could probably do it with the Quake 1 engine..

Submitted by Maitrek on Mon, 07/07/03 - 7:27 AM Permalink

I'd probably make a allegory soaked, story/character driven 3D FP game with no guns in sight.

But then I'd do that with zero bucks as well :)

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 07/07/03 - 8:59 AM Permalink

A big one...

That's what you usually do with a lot of free money.

Submitted by lava monkey on Mon, 07/07/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Well for starters I think the type of game I would make if I was given that chance wouldn?t be the type of game that a publisher would want to publish, cause its too weird or its not exactly the same as every other game on the market.

I would make an adventure game in part, but I would make it as no-linier as possible, the characters would all be AI (chatter-boxes) and would react differently based on hundreds of different reasons. You could play the game however you wanted you could be the bad guy if you wanted. But there would be other AI characters with conflicting goals to you all the time, and characters that you could work with and help. The sound + music would also we AI based, it would change and alter the score to suit the type of situations you get yourself in. Likewise with the camera system, it would position it self to create drama or whatever based on the situation, like a ?Director AI?. Basically it would be a game without the limits of a script, but then you would still free like your doing something useful because of how the AI interacts with your character. A self-scripting game, a smart-game..
But I wouldn?t want to make it too smart or it would put me out of the job.

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 07/07/03 - 11:57 AM Permalink

would make something that could be finished in 6 months, (ie, a small project) and after taking a year to finish it, then try to make a big project..... so start with a 2d fighter, then the rpg...

Submitted by Ionized on Mon, 07/07/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Something similar to what theif 3 was initially going to be. A giant living, breathing city where you have a house, car, bank account. Set sometime in the future, you play a private eye. You can basically walk around this city doing your day to day things and people come to you with cases for you to work on. You can be a good guy or a bad guy. You can buy, steal or rent everything from clothes to cars. You have to do things like eat food, pay your bills and meet your contacts at the right time and the right place. I guess it's a cross detween dues ex, the sims and shem mue. I feel pretty confident that one day someone will make a game like that... it just wont be me...hehe.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 07/07/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

redwyre: I was going to say that!! Why make anything other than another reality with infinite boundries.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 08/07/03 - 3:25 AM Permalink

What if humans were only limited by their creativity? Think of what we could achieve...

Think about how Half-Life 2 is different from every other game, it is fully interactive. But imagine, as lava_monkey says, if there was no pre-writen story? What if the game evolved around you?

And what if we were not limited by pathetic devices such as a mouse and keyboard?

I'll tell you, that would be one *awesome* RPG.

I can't wait for the future.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 4:15 AM Permalink

I would make a MMORPG, with a base around do what you wish with a world which was as dynamic as possblie right down to things like grass growing and hair growing over time. It would be sci-if based but with cool personally/and group spells (which would be something to do with programs that you could load into yourself.) add to this vehicles (and muitperson vehicles) house or places to live in for your character (were poeple are unable to get into if the door is lock so you can have your character sleep, and if you did get back before you log-off you have to find a save place to sleep, if not you can sleep anyway but people can help themself to you.)

Shit i could go on and on, best stop i think you all get the idea.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:15 AM Permalink

I don't think HL:2 is going to be 'fully interactive', it's just got more interactivity than the first one (which is to say, almost none), and secondly, it's not different to every other game out there....but it does move the bar a bit higher in some areas.

Personally, I hope the future isn't a world limited only by our creativity :)

For starters, we aren't exactly that restricted at the moment in terms of creativity, but we still make extremely derivative games, and secondly, when we are limited only by creativity, the effort and the journey of discovery is oh so crap.

But that's just me!!!

There's a fine line between making an alternate reality because we can't make our own reality enjoyable enough, and making games. If the future is the first part of that statement - then I'm going to go spare :)

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:58 AM Permalink

Silly Maitrek, you have your arms tied behind your back and you don't know it! :)

If what you see on the screen is not what you see in your mind, then you are being limited.

There will be a time when you can create anything you can think of, that is when it is US that is limiting creation.

I think that is worth every dollar.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Maitrek:

quote:There's a fine line between making an alternate reality because we can't make our own reality enjoyable enough, and making games.

Personally I'm enjoying my reality, and if an alternative reality was akin to the Matrix in complexitiy then I'm sure you could find something you would like, even if your game in that world is sitting in a field all by yourself.

Like Redwyre said, it would only be limited by your creativity, I could think of some cool games if we had our hands on the Matrix V1.0 engine. [:P]

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

alternate reality from my point of view is so that you can do all them things you are unable to do here in the real world. Why do you thing that GTA 3 was a big hit. so many poeple have seen a nice car and wish they could drive it, but to do this you would end up in jail (or a big fine) and the rest of your life would be changed. with a game you could do this and get out of jail the next day, and if thing get to fucked up you can hit the reset button.

so petty much poeple (i think) don't want an alternate reality, they want a reset button.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 08/07/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

Oh how I hate having a differing opinion :)
I'm just a different person....the point of my message was, I'm not really interested in the 'object' that I create. Sure I have a lot of vision for what it is and what it could be, *but*, pretty much 90% of the pride comes from the effort and the ingenuity required to recreate the vision, using the tools that I have been granted. If there was no challenge in doing that, then I'd go find something better to do with my time!

Plus we'd all be out of jobs! Everyone in the world has their own imagination, they wouldn't need ours. Simulating dreams, hopes and desires would be exactly the same as if you were to just dream them... To me games fulfil a different need than purely imaginative espacism, although that (escapism) surely is one of them.

It's not the truth, and it's not the "right" or "wrong" way of thinking. It's just my way of thinking! Picture the world from my warped perspective for a second, then forget about it, and stick with your own! That's all these messages should be - an insight to another perspective...

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 08/07/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Yeah I see.

just a side note. I don't think that game desginer would ever be out of a job from a game or program that ables you to have full control of what you can do or use or think of. because this wouldn't be all that fun, one of the things I like about game so much is that you get to go inside someone eles head and see there way of thinking.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 11:40 PM Permalink

I thought the thread was what would you do with unlimited cashola, we all love the challenges and process of the development cycle, other wise why be in (or trying to get in) this industry, I can think of alot less stressful ones but I love the stress (freak).

quote:To me games fulfil a different need than purely imaginative espacism, although that (escapism) surely is one of them.

Want to finish this point, I was interested and also partially agree. What other roles?

Doord's pretty right saying game developers wouldn't bet out of a job, not everyone has a great imagination and they might want to still enjoy it, therefore games/worlds needs developing, coders would be fine and artists would need to conceive and design still.

Maitrek: I'm glad you have a different opinion, differences breed new thought, world would be pretty short of creative ideas if we all agreed, hell sometimes I'm even proven wrong lol. [:)]

Doord: Ah the reset button, one of lifes most precious tools lol.
Does anyone else try and press CTRL-Z when they screw up a pencil sketch instead of reaching for the eraser? I did it the other day, I broke a glass at home, "ctrl-z", oops that won't work.

Scary.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 08/07/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

Back on topic, boy I get distracted easily here.

I'd make a game where everyone played as me, I'd have a cape and theme music but thats it, no special powers just me going about life ...with a cape... and theme music.

Any publishers out there interested lol.

BTW: reznor/lava monkey, God wants his jumper back. [:P]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 09/07/03 - 1:11 AM Permalink

Yes, i look for Ctrl-Z all the time. For just about anything. The last time it did it was pureing a grass of OJ this morning and miss the grass a little. I know this is petty sad, a only get like this when i have been modeling, texturing, drawing or animating all day on a computer. Which is most of the time these days.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 09/07/03 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Actually, one game I wouldn't mind seeing is an MMORPG based on something like feudal japan way back in the day - plenty of melee and easy women back then! Would also make for some interesting things like honour codes and allegiances etc etc, a easily exploitable setting that will probably get taken up long before I'd ever pitch it to a publisher. Plus you could do Kung Fu (yeah I know that's actually chinese, but who cares anyway, most people think it's all karate).

Submitted by souri on Wed, 09/07/03 - 2:04 PM Permalink

I would like to make a killer VR game.. [:)] There's gotta be a game that'll bring back those Virtual Reality headsets in fashion.. I can see a lot of you want a game environment that's closer and closer to reality, but I think VR helmets are another way to get a player to feel immersed in a game - it just needs a good boot up the backside and a killer title. I don't think I've ever really felt immersed in a game - I'm always aware I'm looking at a square screen.
There's probably a million game design issues that have to be overcome (how do you move, jump, or shoot?), along with problems from wearing a headset for long periods of time causes, and I'm sure VR headsets are impractical for many types of games... but darnit, bring back Virtual Reality! [:)] It's been over a decade now since the VR hype (many showcased running on an Amiga 1000 no less) has died off..

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 09/07/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Yeah I remember those VR headsets. Very cool! But like you said, there are plenty of interface issues to overcome. I imagine that they (the headsets) would be pretty small nowadays, there's plenty of tech floating around that the headset would probably be tiny compared to those huge chunky things you had to wear back in the day!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 10/07/03 - 12:26 AM Permalink

I think I must be the only person who doesn't want virtual reality. I want to see games evolved to a more social aspect. For me, nothing beats gaming with friends in the same room.

As a predominantly console gamer, I think developers would do well to work a large number of commands into fewer buttons - after all, games often turn people off due to their complexity. Any idiot can make something more complicated.

I think perhaps voice recognition, and as I remember hearing at AGDC2001 - a wristband that measured pulses and accomodated the gameplay accordingly would be a good start. Somehow,I think the next innovations are going to come when the hardware/peripherals allow it.

I think if I had infinite dolo - I'd like to use it to subsidise extra pieces of hardware that shipped with the game. ie - a FPS (don't groan yet) where a floorpad (like DDR) was used in conjunction with a lightgun. My main gripe with FPS's is that clicking a mouse button is nothing like pulling a trigger. The floorpad would be the 'WASD' and a button where your little finger is on the gun handle, a button could be pressed to activate the 'look' feature like a mouse (by moving the gun). If the button isnt pressed, then the screen stays stable - it'd be reasonably intuitive I think. As a twist, I'd have the game as an arcade format, with 8 player mode (like Daytona cabinets) and link ups to other arcades around the country/world.

As a side tangent - is anyone seeing massive potential in the PS2 Eyetoy? Does anyone think that this could come as standard for PS3?

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Thu, 10/07/03 - 3:28 AM Permalink

I am an anime nut so i would try to make a game with anime style GFX. But i would like to make an MMORPG like the one depicted in the series .hack//sign
total character control, so you can actually act and other players will be able to see all your emotions through the character.
I would like to make a game with essentailly real world like intereactions in a completely unreal world.

Submitted by Cloud on Sun, 07/09/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

I would make a game like final fantasy but you look through the eyes of the main character in a virual reality helmet, complete with gloves.