Skip to main content

Hum Vee thing

Submitted by Pantmonger on
Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/03/03 - 11:06 AM Permalink

Cool model. will that radio antennae or whatever is in the back have transparencies? Texturing is very cool... the wheels look a little bit cartoony though.. maybe it's just me though [:)] I would've made them dark (almost black) with small glossy areas, but that's a personal thing too.. Good stuff..

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:33 PM Permalink

overall another nice model. but i think it would be wise to conserve polys on the axels (take out the axels, use a texture map instead) and use the polys to detail something else up.

yet it is interesting the way u currently have it > :>-

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:39 PM Permalink

i agree with tomcat i cant see how you would notice the axels unless it was flying over the top of you.
if you cant see it you dont need it.
i think the tyres are bit chunky personaly.
the texturing is great, i find it hard to get that worn look.
nice job

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:48 PM Permalink

The axle is visable from the front and rear if you are level with it, that is why it is there and it is only 14/16 poly per axle so...

Thanks for the texture comment, I'm lax with adding weathering but people have been on me about doing it so I have started doing it.

Pantmonger

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 27/03/03 - 3:55 PM Permalink

yeah that fair enough Pantmonger. yet, just another thought; in real life the axes wouldn,t be visible outside the base of the vehicle - i mean they are very unatural in the way that they just sit on on the bottom of the vehicle. whats holding them? sticky tape? ;)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:47 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tomcat

yeah that fair enough Pantmonger. yet, just another thought; in real life the axes wouldn,t be visible outside the base of the vehicle

On the model they are half sunk into the housing and there is nothing specificly visable holding them in. In real life on a Hum Vee the axle is visable, I think its a wish bone shape (Thats my guess I know zip about cars, Im just looking at a pic as I write this)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

I think that considering the ploycount, the axles are fine. You would only just see them and it helps add to the illusion that it has a full chassis, without them it wouldn't be as believable I think.
Nice job btw Pants, I like the texture.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 07/03/03 - 11:06 AM Permalink

Cool model. will that radio antennae or whatever is in the back have transparencies? Texturing is very cool... the wheels look a little bit cartoony though.. maybe it's just me though [:)] I would've made them dark (almost black) with small glossy areas, but that's a personal thing too.. Good stuff..

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:33 PM Permalink

overall another nice model. but i think it would be wise to conserve polys on the axels (take out the axels, use a texture map instead) and use the polys to detail something else up.

yet it is interesting the way u currently have it > :>-

Submitted by shiptu shaboo on Wed, 26/03/03 - 1:39 PM Permalink

i agree with tomcat i cant see how you would notice the axels unless it was flying over the top of you.
if you cant see it you dont need it.
i think the tyres are bit chunky personaly.
the texturing is great, i find it hard to get that worn look.
nice job

nannoo nannoo

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:48 PM Permalink

The axle is visable from the front and rear if you are level with it, that is why it is there and it is only 14/16 poly per axle so...

Thanks for the texture comment, I'm lax with adding weathering but people have been on me about doing it so I have started doing it.

Pantmonger

Submitted by tomcat on Thu, 27/03/03 - 3:55 PM Permalink

yeah that fair enough Pantmonger. yet, just another thought; in real life the axes wouldn,t be visible outside the base of the vehicle - i mean they are very unatural in the way that they just sit on on the bottom of the vehicle. whats holding them? sticky tape? ;)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 27/03/03 - 7:47 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by tomcat

yeah that fair enough Pantmonger. yet, just another thought; in real life the axes wouldn,t be visible outside the base of the vehicle

On the model they are half sunk into the housing and there is nothing specificly visable holding them in. In real life on a Hum Vee the axle is visable, I think its a wish bone shape (Thats my guess I know zip about cars, Im just looking at a pic as I write this)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 27/03/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

I think that considering the ploycount, the axles are fine. You would only just see them and it helps add to the illusion that it has a full chassis, without them it wouldn't be as believable I think.
Nice job btw Pants, I like the texture.