Skip to main content

World of Warcraft

Forum

Anyone playing this gem?

It can be argued that the gameplay is too simple.. But fuck it, blizzard to simple so well. They hide so much depth behind that simplicity..

Anyhow, I'm in the Deathwing Server

Character = Baldron

I'm still pretty new to the game, but if you play, and are new, jump onto the server and I'll help you out.

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 06/01/05 - 9:19 AM Permalink

On Proudmore myself. Brain, my lvl 28 Dwarven Warrior miner smithy is going rather well. Definitely taking up a fair portion of my time, though I'd not played it for a week and a bit whilst my girlfriend visited my family and myself in Canberra. She's a bit adverse to the whole thing. I'll sway her one day... or just get her hooked to Sims 2 @;-)

Also, it's been far too long between visits. *hugs all round* @:-D

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 07/01/05 - 5:38 AM Permalink

can anyone tell me how well WoW runs on dialup?

dismally i am guessing... [:(]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 08/01/05 - 1:34 AM Permalink

pretty shit I'd imagine..

I'm on 512 adsl, and it lags it up sometimes.

Generally I have a ping of about 300 - 400.. Which is nothing special, but the way the game is designed, it's not a huge issue.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 08/01/05 - 1:37 AM Permalink

I'm not sure about 56k but remember the ping is due to playing on American servers, I still have the same ping and occasional lag with a fast connection.

The game is awesome BTW.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 14/01/05 - 9:41 AM Permalink

The game rocks. Probably a little bit too much though, like most mog?s, it?s seriously addictive.

I like characters from the Horde mostly. Most people want to play as Alliance characters for some reason, but the Horde is just so much cooler.

Also, I like the naming restrictions. It?s so annoying in these games coming across characters like ?Aragorn934? or ?ImAnUrakHai? etc. Some people have no ability to be creative or original..

I?m playing on dial-up, and like most mog?s the lag is bearable. It?s certainly annoying, but it usually doesn?t cause major gameplay problems, unlike lag in a real time shooter. I can play for hours without any real problem. Of course that's coming from someone who rarely experiances a fast connection. People on dsl would no doubt go nuts trying to play @ 56K. Like Sorceror Bob said, because of the gameplay design, ping rate isn't really a big deal.

I?ve applied for DSL, but the infrastructure here doesn?t support it [:(] Apparently Telstra will finish upgrading here by June/July, so until then I must continue to suffer lag in my games.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 15/01/05 - 1:48 AM Permalink

Tis a bit shitty that the servers were more stable in the beta than they are here.

Damn 16 hour down-time

Submitted by Zaph on Tue, 18/01/05 - 5:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Anyone playing this gem?

It can be argued that the gameplay is too simple.. But fuck it, blizzard to simple so well. They hide so much depth behind that simplicity..

Totally addicted here :-)

server: DragonBlight
Alliance Characters: Arianwen, Bloodknock
Horde char: Griselda

Submitted by souri on Thu, 20/01/05 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Blizzard are advertising a new [url="http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/netops-manager.shtml"]Network operations manager[/url] for World of Warcraft.. quote:Are you experienced in managing IT personnel and projects? Is keeping gamers happily playing games a top priority for you? If so, then please see the Network Operations Manager posting for more information on how you can join Blizzard and help us support our players.

Did someone get fired? o_O

I've read a few messages everywhere on the ping/queuing/waiting period to play from many irate players. It's sounding pretty bad. Surprising though to hear that Blizzard have just launched Wow in Korea [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 20/01/05 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Bah, stop complaining... I used to play Ultima Online on 56k dialup :-P Then I didn't even get the full 56k either...

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 20/01/05 - 10:01 PM Permalink

Penny Arcade have revoked their GOTY award for it due to the instability problems. Personally I play on a low population server and I just haven't seen the issues everyone complains about.

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Wed, 26/01/05 - 11:44 PM Permalink

You will find most Aussies play on the BlackRock server.

Forum

Anyone playing this gem?

Anyhow, I'm in the Deathwing Server

Character = Baldron

I'm still pretty new to the game, but if you play, and are new, jump onto the server and I'll help you out.

Submitted by Brain on Thu, 06/01/05 - 9:19 AM Permalink

On Proudmore myself. Brain, my lvl 28 Dwarven Warrior miner smithy is going rather well. Definitely taking up a fair portion of my time, though I'd not played it for a week and a bit whilst my girlfriend visited my family and myself in Canberra. She's a bit adverse to the whole thing. I'll sway her one day... or just get her hooked to Sims 2 @;-)

Also, it's been far too long between visits. *hugs all round* @:-D

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 07/01/05 - 5:38 AM Permalink

can anyone tell me how well WoW runs on dialup?

dismally i am guessing... [:(]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 08/01/05 - 1:34 AM Permalink

pretty shit I'd imagine..

I'm on 512 adsl, and it lags it up sometimes.

Generally I have a ping of about 300 - 400.. Which is nothing special, but the way the game is designed, it's not a huge issue.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 08/01/05 - 1:37 AM Permalink

I'm not sure about 56k but remember the ping is due to playing on American servers, I still have the same ping and occasional lag with a fast connection.

The game is awesome BTW.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 14/01/05 - 9:41 AM Permalink

The game rocks. Probably a little bit too much though, like most mog?s, it?s seriously addictive.

I like characters from the Horde mostly. Most people want to play as Alliance characters for some reason, but the Horde is just so much cooler.

Also, I like the naming restrictions. It?s so annoying in these games coming across characters like ?Aragorn934? or ?ImAnUrakHai? etc. Some people have no ability to be creative or original..

I?m playing on dial-up, and like most mog?s the lag is bearable. It?s certainly annoying, but it usually doesn?t cause major gameplay problems, unlike lag in a real time shooter. I can play for hours without any real problem. Of course that's coming from someone who rarely experiances a fast connection. People on dsl would no doubt go nuts trying to play @ 56K. Like Sorceror Bob said, because of the gameplay design, ping rate isn't really a big deal.

I?ve applied for DSL, but the infrastructure here doesn?t support it [:(] Apparently Telstra will finish upgrading here by June/July, so until then I must continue to suffer lag in my games.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 15/01/05 - 1:48 AM Permalink

Tis a bit shitty that the servers were more stable in the beta than they are here.

Damn 16 hour down-time

Submitted by Zaph on Tue, 18/01/05 - 5:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Anyone playing this gem?

Totally addicted here :-)

server: DragonBlight
Alliance Characters: Arianwen, Bloodknock
Horde char: Griselda

Submitted by souri on Thu, 20/01/05 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Blizzard are advertising a new [url="http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/netops-manager.shtml"]Network operations manager[/url] for World of Warcraft.. quote:Are you experienced in managing IT personnel and projects? Is keeping gamers happily playing games a top priority for you? If so, then please see the Network Operations Manager posting for more information on how you can join Blizzard and help us support our players.

Did someone get fired? o_O

I've read a few messages everywhere on the ping/queuing/waiting period to play from many irate players. It's sounding pretty bad. Surprising though to hear that Blizzard have just launched Wow in Korea [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 20/01/05 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Bah, stop complaining... I used to play Ultima Online on 56k dialup :-P Then I didn't even get the full 56k either...

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 20/01/05 - 10:01 PM Permalink

Penny Arcade have revoked their GOTY award for it due to the instability problems. Personally I play on a low population server and I just haven't seen the issues everyone complains about.

Submitted by Anti Gremlin on Wed, 26/01/05 - 11:44 PM Permalink

You will find most Aussies play on the BlackRock server.