Skip to main content

Reputable drawing and painting lessons in Brisbane

Submitted by EtaCarinae on
Forum

Dear Friends,
Can anyone recommend a drawing and painting teacher available to the public for short courses?
I have been to a class with Carolyn Gardener from the Brisbane Institute of Art but found it a little simple and also far too artsy.
What I am seeking is serious classes that push the attendees to improve and offer really direction.

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 04/11/05 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Short Course offering good direction seems a little unlikely imo (just cause of the nature of short courses (short/straightforward), no offence intended).
If i were you i'd go to a life drawing group, then simply look at your work for a long time after class. Just sit and look, look at it upside down, in a mirror etc. To be able to analyze it yourself is what you really have to be able to develop imo (long-term).
Also if there are good artists there you can ask them for feedback and tips.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Fri, 04/11/05 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Dear Friend,
You are right. I also think short courses can attract ordinary teachers.
Self analysis is obviously the backbone to improvement. This thread linking to the concept art webpage...

http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3291

is a great example of that. In fact, it was looking at the studio where this guy is studying...

http://www.panturastudios.com/

that made me post this thread. There has to be a teacher somewhere in Brisbane that can offer the kind of direction that makes self-analysis more focused.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/11/05 - 9:38 PM Permalink

I'm also planning on looking for some short art courses in Brisbane (once uni is finished for the year). Unfortunately I don't really know where to look. I did one through TAFE earlier in the year, and while the life drawing segments were good, it was generally a fairly poor class.

I suppose I should just enquire at some art supply stores and see if they can recommend any classes.

Submitted by poppin fresh on Sun, 20/11/05 - 11:43 AM Permalink

The arts academy in balmoral offers a very comprehensive life drawing course in their fine arts program, it is all from a fairly traditional old masters perspective but with an updated approach to it I guess you could say.
More along the lines of a relaxed julian ashton.

I don't have any contact details at hand but could get some if you are interested, I think currently they offer classes on the tuesday and wednesday but also run short courses in certain specific techniques in the holiday period.
The main course would be the most helpful as far as the pure basics go.

Posted by EtaCarinae on
Forum

Dear Friends,
Can anyone recommend a drawing and painting teacher available to the public for short courses?
I have been to a class with Carolyn Gardener from the Brisbane Institute of Art but found it a little simple and also far too artsy.
What I am seeking is serious classes that push the attendees to improve and offer really direction.

Submitted by cutty on Fri, 04/11/05 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Short Course offering good direction seems a little unlikely imo (just cause of the nature of short courses (short/straightforward), no offence intended).
If i were you i'd go to a life drawing group, then simply look at your work for a long time after class. Just sit and look, look at it upside down, in a mirror etc. To be able to analyze it yourself is what you really have to be able to develop imo (long-term).
Also if there are good artists there you can ask them for feedback and tips.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Fri, 04/11/05 - 8:52 PM Permalink

Dear Friend,
You are right. I also think short courses can attract ordinary teachers.
Self analysis is obviously the backbone to improvement. This thread linking to the concept art webpage...

http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3291

is a great example of that. In fact, it was looking at the studio where this guy is studying...

http://www.panturastudios.com/

that made me post this thread. There has to be a teacher somewhere in Brisbane that can offer the kind of direction that makes self-analysis more focused.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/11/05 - 9:38 PM Permalink

I'm also planning on looking for some short art courses in Brisbane (once uni is finished for the year). Unfortunately I don't really know where to look. I did one through TAFE earlier in the year, and while the life drawing segments were good, it was generally a fairly poor class.

I suppose I should just enquire at some art supply stores and see if they can recommend any classes.

Submitted by poppin fresh on Sun, 20/11/05 - 11:43 AM Permalink

The arts academy in balmoral offers a very comprehensive life drawing course in their fine arts program, it is all from a fairly traditional old masters perspective but with an updated approach to it I guess you could say.
More along the lines of a relaxed julian ashton.

I don't have any contact details at hand but could get some if you are interested, I think currently they offer classes on the tuesday and wednesday but also run short courses in certain specific techniques in the holiday period.
The main course would be the most helpful as far as the pure basics go.