Skip to main content

scanning tips for 2d art

Submitted by Immortal on
Forum

hi all. i really need to know how to scan a sketch, then eliminate all the paper tone etc so the background is flat white. plz help. i want basically just plain black lines-no shades of grey, but without losing the look of the lines

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Curves in your scanning software, and decent scanner and paper that doesn't have to much texture all help.

Also try sketching using blue/red chromakey pencils and inking the final art before scanning.

Scan at higher resolutions too.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 03/09/03 - 7:49 PM Permalink

i would scan at 300 dpi if you want to print your work out.

Now if you want the lines ONLY on a layer this is how i do it.

1. Outline your image with a felt tip pen and erase the pencil marks.
2. scan your image.
3. once scanned, bump the brightness and contrast up. that will eliminate the any pencil marks / smudge.
4. go to channels section and press the button load channel selection. this will highlight all the white areas.
5.press delete. that will erase the white areas leaving you with the outline only on that layer.
6. Start painting [:)]

hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by Immortal on Wed, 03/09/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Thanks dudes. Im now a fully competant scanner!! My school has a kickass scanner it can do like 3000 dpi its so mad! i dunno thats prolly shit and i sound like a terd but hey i like it!. anyways thx again for da help.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

If you can afford it Adobe Streamline is great for getting good line art.

Posted by Immortal on
Forum

hi all. i really need to know how to scan a sketch, then eliminate all the paper tone etc so the background is flat white. plz help. i want basically just plain black lines-no shades of grey, but without losing the look of the lines

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Curves in your scanning software, and decent scanner and paper that doesn't have to much texture all help.

Also try sketching using blue/red chromakey pencils and inking the final art before scanning.

Scan at higher resolutions too.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 03/09/03 - 7:49 PM Permalink

i would scan at 300 dpi if you want to print your work out.

Now if you want the lines ONLY on a layer this is how i do it.

1. Outline your image with a felt tip pen and erase the pencil marks.
2. scan your image.
3. once scanned, bump the brightness and contrast up. that will eliminate the any pencil marks / smudge.
4. go to channels section and press the button load channel selection. this will highlight all the white areas.
5.press delete. that will erase the white areas leaving you with the outline only on that layer.
6. Start painting [:)]

hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by Immortal on Wed, 03/09/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

Thanks dudes. Im now a fully competant scanner!! My school has a kickass scanner it can do like 3000 dpi its so mad! i dunno thats prolly shit and i sound like a terd but hey i like it!. anyways thx again for da help.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/09/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

If you can afford it Adobe Streamline is great for getting good line art.