Skip to main content

Sumea project revival?

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

Holy crap...
Nothing's changed since i took time off to finish my thesis?

Ok, I guess we need to find out who's still interested and has time to work on this thing. If we are going to continue this, I think we need to go from this point in a much more organized and planned way.

So i guess we could use this thread as a sound off for who's still interested from the current team members, and a place for suggestions as to how we're going to keep the ball rolling and avoid stalling again.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 04/08/05 - 1:39 PM Permalink

You could say I have lost a bit of motivation with the project. I think what you said really hit me lately, that it's just another sci-fi team based fps'er. And it is. And let's be honest, there's little chance that an UT2004 mod will get much real online playability by people out there, and I'd hate to see all our efforts put towards something that's simply not going to get played. And the effort to complete a polished sci-fi level is just too much for me, it's a bit too much to compete with todays expectations using such a small team.

I would suggest we rethink what we can do with a small team, and perhaps do a single player type of game. Something that doesn't need a tonne of assets and is something quite achievable. Maybe a Wind Waker type of platform game, or a Resident Evil 4 like zombie game that's just based in the woods with lots of fog or something (needs some trees/foliage assets and maybe some cabins [;)]. Or to take a leaf out of Saw's book (the recent movie written and directed by local Aussies on a budget), have the game in one fantastic looking location. [:)] Maybe a persons apartment? (shrug)

Anyway, what do you honestly want to create? I am all ears.

(yeh, I know, we did a darn sumea challenge for models etc)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 04/08/05 - 7:24 PM Permalink

I have nothing to give but excuses - and I know the exchange rate on them for actual results is pretty poor.

Remember how I said "as soon as I get my new computer" I can start some stuff. Erm. That kind of turned into an engagement ring so the computer's still pending [:)]

That said, I'd really like to keep working with the UT engine unless there's a good reason to change.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 05/08/05 - 5:57 AM Permalink

I like the idea of a coop or single player mod there aren't many of these and it could be done well. It would also be interesting to try and make it not based around weapons and the process of killing things, metaball is one example... but there are few others. One idea I had would like to try is where people play as some kind of half human, half flying fish thing flying around and completing either story or mission based objectives. We could also make a mulitplayer pinball game :D or various other things. A little zelda-style coop sort of game would also be quite fun.

Anyway, first of all we should take careful consideration about changing the entire project and take a good look at the benifits of starting a new one vs continuing the current (which should be a decision made by everyone involved). Secondly we need to really plan what we're going to try to achieve, and try and do it in a more organized way... this probably means a design doc and all the other nessicary evils. We'll probably also need to find more people and assign dedicated roles too.

Finally, I'm currently looking around for a job... and if I can impress these companies I may be getting one quite soon, which will take a rather large chunk out of my time. That said I'll still try to make as much time as possible for the project however I'm not sure it would be good idea for me to take a project management role for this as I may become unavailable due to other obligations at inopportune times.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 05/08/05 - 8:13 PM Permalink

i was never going to be hugely dedicated to it anyway, since i work full time and when i'm not at work either do my own work (which would then included work for the project) or something other than 3D.

that said i'm happy to keep working on it, though i think the following things should be considered:

1. we should consider a design that allows us to use the artwork already created for it (i.e. the modeller challenge) if possible

2. we should consider the depth and complexity of the project, as it is likly to be slow moving (since few people will be able to dedicate full time to it). I would recommend something small and simple, something achievable with a small team, with other commitments, and a broad range of skills - from beginner to profesional, perhaps something that can be expanded on if people find they have more time or more people join. and perhaps the ablility to add further levels or features through updates.

3. if we are realy serious about this then there should probably be a design doc written up and updated as progress is made. And someone should take up a management role to allot tasks and keep everything organised and on track.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 07/08/05 - 5:59 AM Permalink

yeah, my enthusiaum died out a little based on that it was kinda generic and not that original. Especially with that Dystopia(?) mod that had lots of glowy bits visually.

Though in the mean time my 3d skills have improved so Im willing to do some character models, I cant animate them however.

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 22/08/05 - 12:22 AM Permalink

Ok so i get the feeling everyone wants to try to do something simpler, that is both original and makes use of as much existing asset content as is physically possible.

I think we should start a new project ideas thread and recruitment thread at this stage to get the ball rolling and pick up a few more people. Though this time we should specify roles for people at the recruiting stage. That should allow us to allocate tasks to people more easliy and avoid the "what do i do now?" problem.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 24/08/05 - 7:17 AM Permalink

So is anyone still interested in this?

I liked Souri's suggestion of a RE4 type horror/mod, could be cool.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/08/05 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Yeh, I reckon the RE4 type of mod would be cool. We just have to remember to start out small scalled and expand on that. In its simplest form, the game could work (asset wise) with one main character, one zombie model, their animations, one simple level, and the required Unreal script editing. Then we can expand on that with more zombies, detailed environments, game design etc.

I also have another idea which I don't think I've seen a mod do is to do a Super Sprint kind of top view racing game. Use the Unreal Engines vehicle physics for a racing game. Using the small scaled idea, it requires at least one car model, a track, and the required Unreal script editing. It's possible to do with one artist and one programmer, but is open for a lot more people to join in on to do their own tracks and cars. The possibilities for the tracks and visuals would be tremendous with the Unreal engine. Deep canyons, maybe a Sumea town etc. I don't think there are any commercial games doing the Super Sprint kind of game for a long time. And I think it would be cool if everyone could do their own low polygon vehicle too.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their own ideas on what they want to do, so please do express them here. The last thing I want is for everyone to just go along with what I say and not really want to do it. [;)]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 25/08/05 - 3:14 AM Permalink

I just finished RE4 and so I'm feeling extra good about that idea.

Perhaps we just make a game like the minigame you get when you finish, ie: 'The Mercenaries'.
You get a time limit, and a bunch of increasingly difficult zombies to kill. Start with just a 1player game and plan to make it both co-op and competitive at some stage.

Requirements would be just as souri suggested - 1 player, 1 zombie, 1 level + scripting.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/09/05 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Anyone awake? [;)] Anyway, I think I will tackle the racer game on my own - it's something small that I can attempt on my own (apart from the scripting). My plan is to get 2 low-poly cars done and a track to race in. Pretty simple. If anyone is interested, you can pretty much do the same thing to contribute. Create 2 low-poly cars and a track yourself. It's probably best that I get mine finished first (bare in mind that I have a few new sections in the works on Sumea, and other stuff to do [:X])so people can get a jist of what's going on.

The zombie game would take a bit more effort from more people to get something reasonable but if anyone is interested in getting that off the ground, please go for it!

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 10/09/05 - 12:58 PM Permalink

Sounds pretty good, give me a yell when you need the coding to start.
Though given the amount of time I have free, I'll only be able to do stuff on weekends.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/09/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

I've just overhauled Sumea comments, and I'm currently trying to get a new section up asap, but as soon as that's done, I'm hoping to be going full ball into this. I think maybe we can consider doing it as a commercial title with the UE engine as a prototype. Maybe work on getting working on the Serenity engine for the PSP. Serenity already has code for handling vehicles etc, so it should be easy to get going for this kind of game.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 23/09/05 - 10:06 AM Permalink

To be honest souri, the coding involved in an engine migration is nearly as big a job as starting from scratch. Especially considering that unrealscript is an engine specific language.
A small scale modular project, like a mini-racing game is a good idea but i'd really strongly urge the idea to keep it as a mod. Mods are much easier and faster to develop than a game completely from scratch.
Also, for various reasons (mainly timewise and legal) people may be unable to work on the game if it becomes a commercial project.

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

Holy crap...
Nothing's changed since i took time off to finish my thesis?

Ok, I guess we need to find out who's still interested and has time to work on this thing. If we are going to continue this, I think we need to go from this point in a much more organized and planned way.

So i guess we could use this thread as a sound off for who's still interested from the current team members, and a place for suggestions as to how we're going to keep the ball rolling and avoid stalling again.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 04/08/05 - 1:39 PM Permalink

You could say I have lost a bit of motivation with the project. I think what you said really hit me lately, that it's just another sci-fi team based fps'er. And it is. And let's be honest, there's little chance that an UT2004 mod will get much real online playability by people out there, and I'd hate to see all our efforts put towards something that's simply not going to get played. And the effort to complete a polished sci-fi level is just too much for me, it's a bit too much to compete with todays expectations using such a small team.

I would suggest we rethink what we can do with a small team, and perhaps do a single player type of game. Something that doesn't need a tonne of assets and is something quite achievable. Maybe a Wind Waker type of platform game, or a Resident Evil 4 like zombie game that's just based in the woods with lots of fog or something (needs some trees/foliage assets and maybe some cabins [;)]. Or to take a leaf out of Saw's book (the recent movie written and directed by local Aussies on a budget), have the game in one fantastic looking location. [:)] Maybe a persons apartment? (shrug)

Anyway, what do you honestly want to create? I am all ears.

(yeh, I know, we did a darn sumea challenge for models etc)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 04/08/05 - 7:24 PM Permalink

I have nothing to give but excuses - and I know the exchange rate on them for actual results is pretty poor.

Remember how I said "as soon as I get my new computer" I can start some stuff. Erm. That kind of turned into an engagement ring so the computer's still pending [:)]

That said, I'd really like to keep working with the UT engine unless there's a good reason to change.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 05/08/05 - 5:57 AM Permalink

I like the idea of a coop or single player mod there aren't many of these and it could be done well. It would also be interesting to try and make it not based around weapons and the process of killing things, metaball is one example... but there are few others. One idea I had would like to try is where people play as some kind of half human, half flying fish thing flying around and completing either story or mission based objectives. We could also make a mulitplayer pinball game :D or various other things. A little zelda-style coop sort of game would also be quite fun.

Anyway, first of all we should take careful consideration about changing the entire project and take a good look at the benifits of starting a new one vs continuing the current (which should be a decision made by everyone involved). Secondly we need to really plan what we're going to try to achieve, and try and do it in a more organized way... this probably means a design doc and all the other nessicary evils. We'll probably also need to find more people and assign dedicated roles too.

Finally, I'm currently looking around for a job... and if I can impress these companies I may be getting one quite soon, which will take a rather large chunk out of my time. That said I'll still try to make as much time as possible for the project however I'm not sure it would be good idea for me to take a project management role for this as I may become unavailable due to other obligations at inopportune times.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 05/08/05 - 8:13 PM Permalink

i was never going to be hugely dedicated to it anyway, since i work full time and when i'm not at work either do my own work (which would then included work for the project) or something other than 3D.

that said i'm happy to keep working on it, though i think the following things should be considered:

1. we should consider a design that allows us to use the artwork already created for it (i.e. the modeller challenge) if possible

2. we should consider the depth and complexity of the project, as it is likly to be slow moving (since few people will be able to dedicate full time to it). I would recommend something small and simple, something achievable with a small team, with other commitments, and a broad range of skills - from beginner to profesional, perhaps something that can be expanded on if people find they have more time or more people join. and perhaps the ablility to add further levels or features through updates.

3. if we are realy serious about this then there should probably be a design doc written up and updated as progress is made. And someone should take up a management role to allot tasks and keep everything organised and on track.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 07/08/05 - 5:59 AM Permalink

yeah, my enthusiaum died out a little based on that it was kinda generic and not that original. Especially with that Dystopia(?) mod that had lots of glowy bits visually.

Though in the mean time my 3d skills have improved so Im willing to do some character models, I cant animate them however.

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 22/08/05 - 12:22 AM Permalink

Ok so i get the feeling everyone wants to try to do something simpler, that is both original and makes use of as much existing asset content as is physically possible.

I think we should start a new project ideas thread and recruitment thread at this stage to get the ball rolling and pick up a few more people. Though this time we should specify roles for people at the recruiting stage. That should allow us to allocate tasks to people more easliy and avoid the "what do i do now?" problem.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 24/08/05 - 7:17 AM Permalink

So is anyone still interested in this?

I liked Souri's suggestion of a RE4 type horror/mod, could be cool.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/08/05 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Yeh, I reckon the RE4 type of mod would be cool. We just have to remember to start out small scalled and expand on that. In its simplest form, the game could work (asset wise) with one main character, one zombie model, their animations, one simple level, and the required Unreal script editing. Then we can expand on that with more zombies, detailed environments, game design etc.

I also have another idea which I don't think I've seen a mod do is to do a Super Sprint kind of top view racing game. Use the Unreal Engines vehicle physics for a racing game. Using the small scaled idea, it requires at least one car model, a track, and the required Unreal script editing. It's possible to do with one artist and one programmer, but is open for a lot more people to join in on to do their own tracks and cars. The possibilities for the tracks and visuals would be tremendous with the Unreal engine. Deep canyons, maybe a Sumea town etc. I don't think there are any commercial games doing the Super Sprint kind of game for a long time. And I think it would be cool if everyone could do their own low polygon vehicle too.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has their own ideas on what they want to do, so please do express them here. The last thing I want is for everyone to just go along with what I say and not really want to do it. [;)]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 25/08/05 - 3:14 AM Permalink

I just finished RE4 and so I'm feeling extra good about that idea.

Perhaps we just make a game like the minigame you get when you finish, ie: 'The Mercenaries'.
You get a time limit, and a bunch of increasingly difficult zombies to kill. Start with just a 1player game and plan to make it both co-op and competitive at some stage.

Requirements would be just as souri suggested - 1 player, 1 zombie, 1 level + scripting.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/09/05 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Anyone awake? [;)] Anyway, I think I will tackle the racer game on my own - it's something small that I can attempt on my own (apart from the scripting). My plan is to get 2 low-poly cars done and a track to race in. Pretty simple. If anyone is interested, you can pretty much do the same thing to contribute. Create 2 low-poly cars and a track yourself. It's probably best that I get mine finished first (bare in mind that I have a few new sections in the works on Sumea, and other stuff to do [:X])so people can get a jist of what's going on.

The zombie game would take a bit more effort from more people to get something reasonable but if anyone is interested in getting that off the ground, please go for it!

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 10/09/05 - 12:58 PM Permalink

Sounds pretty good, give me a yell when you need the coding to start.
Though given the amount of time I have free, I'll only be able to do stuff on weekends.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/09/05 - 12:42 AM Permalink

I've just overhauled Sumea comments, and I'm currently trying to get a new section up asap, but as soon as that's done, I'm hoping to be going full ball into this. I think maybe we can consider doing it as a commercial title with the UE engine as a prototype. Maybe work on getting working on the Serenity engine for the PSP. Serenity already has code for handling vehicles etc, so it should be easy to get going for this kind of game.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 23/09/05 - 10:06 AM Permalink

To be honest souri, the coding involved in an engine migration is nearly as big a job as starting from scratch. Especially considering that unrealscript is an engine specific language.
A small scale modular project, like a mini-racing game is a good idea but i'd really strongly urge the idea to keep it as a mod. Mods are much easier and faster to develop than a game completely from scratch.
Also, for various reasons (mainly timewise and legal) people may be unable to work on the game if it becomes a commercial project.