Skip to main content

Rider of Rohan

Yeah yeah.. a fanboy model. Decided to do this pretty much straight after watching return of the king. Watching them charge down the hapless orcs, well, it gave the nerd in me a major hard-on.

Plus, I've always wanted to make a viking.. Vikings are just cool.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/ror.jpg[/img]

Brief is him and a horse, 6k polies.. Normal map love + how ever much texture space I decide to dedicate to it.
No idea how many polies it is now.. Don't care either.. Want to get it looking like my concept first.(http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/rorconcept.jpg)
Err, had to take a few liberties with some of the design elements, just to get it working in a low poly environment.

More to come later.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 03/02/04 - 3:00 AM Permalink

very nice, I have yet to see ROTK but i think vikings r kool as well
Good Work.

Can we see it with out edgefaces

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 03/02/04 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Looks cool :) Cant wait to see the horse.
The hands could use some more work and I think his head/helmet is a bit small.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 03/02/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Looking good so far, but if my memory serves me correctly, shouldn't the top of the helmet be just a little higher?

It should look pretty sweet once it is done.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 03/02/04 - 12:27 PM Permalink

bullet - go see it!! satan commands you!!

makk - hands are what I'm currently working on, the head is actually proportionally correct.. remember that these guys have the armour that really inflates their upper body.

matt - yup and no. There are different kinds of helmets that team rohan wears, the conical appears to be the one that most are familiar with, so I think I may have to adjust things. Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback! Will have more tomorrow.. Maybe.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

*updated*
He's sitting at about 3350 polies.. Which is a no no.. Gotta try cut that down.. Shouldn't be too hard, I'll soon triangulate the bastard a bit more.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Well, wishing won't make it happen.. Go download yourself a copy of Gmax and practice practice practice!! :D
Taken me about 3 years to get to this level (with probably a year of slackness thrown in for measure), and I've got a LONG way to go in terms of learning and stuff.
So yeah.. you gotta start somewhere!

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:17 AM Permalink

I spose I spose.....God I wish I wasnt Lazy...:P

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:53 AM Permalink

aye, motivation can be an issue. Just gotta find a project that'll get you motivated, and then stick with it..

This guy, is something that is very 'out' of my box. In the past I've tended to avoid fan-art, sticking to sometimes overly original ideas. But this is something I'm passionate, and very motivated about getting done.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:11 AM Permalink

problem with fanart is that you cant just change as you please, youve got specific guidlines

away from that looks very nice atm, coming along well.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Brief is him and a horse, 6k polies.. Normal map love + how ever much texture space I decide to dedicate to it.

Did you say that your going to be making a normal map off this?
If so, you may want to add loads more detial to the geomatry, as 3k doesnt seem to be alot for a normal map base.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Well, in doom3, I believe the base meshes are about 2 - 3k polies.. Probably less because by looking at the silhoutte, they look pretty crappy.

Unless you're talking about the mesh the normal map is sourced from.. In which case, this isn't it. Plan is to do the base - low poly mesh, then build a high poly one over the top..

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Yeah, I was talking about the mesh the normal map is sourced from.
Gotcha now :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

Cool :) Yeah you're the second person to mention that, I think I should have been a little clearer with that at the start. :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 10/02/04 - 1:48 PM Permalink

*update above*

'Finished' the model. Sitting at 3394 tri's. Thats a little bit more than what I wanted to spend :), but I'm fairly happy with it.
I went through and cleaned him up a fair bit since the last render, got rid of some of the detail that wasn't really adding to the silhoutte, but leaving enough to keep the shape. I'll still go through and clean up, so who knows, I may get that under 3k triangles.

Going to do a few tests soon, see how parts will work with the normal mapping. Then it's onto the horse, and the rest of the weapons. Going to give him a spear, and bow and arrow.. Should be a challenge to animate.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 15/02/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

*update on first post*

The model is at a 'finished' point.
Probably a few things I've forgotten about, but will add.. Going to start unwrapping him.

Submitted by matias on Sun, 15/02/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

looks pretty cool, I'm supposedly starting to learn 3d, but I get bogged down real easy, I have a hard time thinking in those terms. So yeah, after you give it a go you really respect those who can! Look forward to seeing the final product!

Yeah yeah.. a fanboy model. Decided to do this pretty much straight after watching return of the king. Watching them charge down the hapless orcs, well, it gave the nerd in me a major hard-on.

Plus, I've always wanted to make a viking.. Vikings are just cool.

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/ror.jpg[/img]

No idea how many polies it is now.. Don't care either.. Want to get it looking like my concept first.(http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/rorconcept.jpg)
Err, had to take a few liberties with some of the design elements, just to get it working in a low poly environment.

More to come later.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 03/02/04 - 3:00 AM Permalink

very nice, I have yet to see ROTK but i think vikings r kool as well
Good Work.

Can we see it with out edgefaces

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 03/02/04 - 8:21 AM Permalink

Looks cool :) Cant wait to see the horse.
The hands could use some more work and I think his head/helmet is a bit small.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 03/02/04 - 10:12 AM Permalink

Looking good so far, but if my memory serves me correctly, shouldn't the top of the helmet be just a little higher?

It should look pretty sweet once it is done.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 03/02/04 - 12:27 PM Permalink

bullet - go see it!! satan commands you!!

makk - hands are what I'm currently working on, the head is actually proportionally correct.. remember that these guys have the armour that really inflates their upper body.

matt - yup and no. There are different kinds of helmets that team rohan wears, the conical appears to be the one that most are familiar with, so I think I may have to adjust things. Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback! Will have more tomorrow.. Maybe.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

*updated*
He's sitting at about 3350 polies.. Which is a no no.. Gotta try cut that down.. Shouldn't be too hard, I'll soon triangulate the bastard a bit more.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Well, wishing won't make it happen.. Go download yourself a copy of Gmax and practice practice practice!! :D
Taken me about 3 years to get to this level (with probably a year of slackness thrown in for measure), and I've got a LONG way to go in terms of learning and stuff.
So yeah.. you gotta start somewhere!

Submitted by hobonation on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:17 AM Permalink

I spose I spose.....God I wish I wasnt Lazy...:P

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 07/02/04 - 4:53 AM Permalink

aye, motivation can be an issue. Just gotta find a project that'll get you motivated, and then stick with it..

This guy, is something that is very 'out' of my box. In the past I've tended to avoid fan-art, sticking to sometimes overly original ideas. But this is something I'm passionate, and very motivated about getting done.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 08/02/04 - 1:11 AM Permalink

problem with fanart is that you cant just change as you please, youve got specific guidlines

away from that looks very nice atm, coming along well.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 2:46 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

Did you say that your going to be making a normal map off this?
If so, you may want to add loads more detial to the geomatry, as 3k doesnt seem to be alot for a normal map base.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:45 AM Permalink

Well, in doom3, I believe the base meshes are about 2 - 3k polies.. Probably less because by looking at the silhoutte, they look pretty crappy.

Unless you're talking about the mesh the normal map is sourced from.. In which case, this isn't it. Plan is to do the base - low poly mesh, then build a high poly one over the top..

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:55 AM Permalink

Yeah, I was talking about the mesh the normal map is sourced from.
Gotcha now :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 08/02/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

Cool :) Yeah you're the second person to mention that, I think I should have been a little clearer with that at the start. :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 10/02/04 - 1:48 PM Permalink

*update above*

'Finished' the model. Sitting at 3394 tri's. Thats a little bit more than what I wanted to spend :), but I'm fairly happy with it.
I went through and cleaned him up a fair bit since the last render, got rid of some of the detail that wasn't really adding to the silhoutte, but leaving enough to keep the shape. I'll still go through and clean up, so who knows, I may get that under 3k triangles.

Going to do a few tests soon, see how parts will work with the normal mapping. Then it's onto the horse, and the rest of the weapons. Going to give him a spear, and bow and arrow.. Should be a challenge to animate.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 15/02/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

*update on first post*

The model is at a 'finished' point.
Probably a few things I've forgotten about, but will add.. Going to start unwrapping him.

Submitted by matias on Sun, 15/02/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

looks pretty cool, I'm supposedly starting to learn 3d, but I get bogged down real easy, I have a hard time thinking in those terms. So yeah, after you give it a go you really respect those who can! Look forward to seeing the final product!