Skip to main content

oh crud, here comes a rookie....

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

hi all im a newbie

just saying hello, ive been lurking a bit ever since inronikart showed me some artwork displayed on these forums but ive finally decided to sign up.
Thing is im a year 10 student who has little 3D knowledge but i came here in a hope to learn, online tutorials havent really been cutting it (you know how some can be) so i hope people dont mind if i ask a few questions now and then.
If you want to see some of my stuff head on to http://the-moon-unit.deviantart.com

Hello again :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 03/12/03 - 4:15 AM Permalink

Hello MoonUnit (Frank Zappa influence with the nick?), plenty here willing to help a newbie, just ask fire away :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 03/12/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

(on the subject of my name) a friend heard about the odd name choice by zappa and decided to start calling me Moon Unit, it just kinda stuck.

(on the subject of newbie help) well asking the vets here where they started out, i dont really know what im looking for specifically but atm im just looking to be a good basic polly modeller, all i can do atm is bevel, extrude, slice plane and cut though :P
(im working with 3DSMax R3, old and busted i know but its the only one i could get, you know how much these things cost)

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 05/12/03 - 1:13 AM Permalink

Hi MoonUnit
Bevel .......Extrude.......... man i wish i knew how to do that when i started off [:)]

if your looking for some very good video tutorials which cover everything and anything in 3ds max, head down to www.3dbuzz.com sign up for free and start downloading. www.3d-palace.com has some good video tutorials to but they ain?t as extensive as the ones at 3d buzz

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 05/12/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

hi moonunit.... and welcome to sumea [:)] u can download the Personal learning editions of different kinds of softwares, such as GMAX, MAYA PE etc... it's a good way to try different programs out... but if your seriously into low poly modelling use 3DS max cause most of the industry use it and its fast and efficient.... I preferably use maya for highpoly modelling and animating... Hope that helps.. But people have different choices... use a program your comfortable with... [:)]

chris... [:D]

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 05/12/03 - 4:17 AM Permalink

er Ninja. It's Maya PLE. Not PE :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/12/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Ninja

hi moonunit.... and welcome to sumea [:)] u can download the Personal learning editions of different kinds of softwares, such as GMAX, MAYA PE etc... it's a good way to try different programs out... but if your seriously into low poly modelling use 3DS max cause most of the industry use it and its fast and efficient.... I preferably use maya for highpoly modelling and animating... Hope that helps.. But people have different choices... use a program your comfortable with... [:)]

sounds ok but id have to take the initial steps (eg low poly modelling) before i even hit that status :P

thanks for that Doord ill have a look at that now EDIT: what unit of measurement do u have max setup in (like for parameters, cause mines in mm and 30 mm seems a bit small...)

and codyalday, im going with 3DS because i was lucky enough to get a copy of an old version of the the industrys more popular program, so i figure if its what i plan to work with for a job, may aswell give it a shot :D

EDIT: was going through your tutorial doord when 3DSmax just died when i was doing some headwork, stupid me hadnt saved at any point at all, im to cheesed to do anything more tonight but ill have a shot again perhaps tommorow or something

Submitted by MoonUnit (not verified) on Fri, 05/12/03 - 10:36 AM Permalink

With max if you have not saved, and been working for long periods, go into the max directory and find autoback folder, it will create backups every 15 mins or something similar.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 05/12/03 - 8:15 PM Permalink

MoonUnit: Afro is right on the money with the autoback thing.

unit of measurement isn't that improtant until you wish to get a model in game. I use Max units most of the time (the only time I don't is when I'm working on a game which has a different unit setup) and just have the mesh at a good size that is easy to work with inside the view port. I think when you are modeling this is the most important thing, to have the mesh a an easy to work with size, you can always scale the mesh before skining the model after you are done.

The tut is kind of old, I think after you go though it try your hand at edit poly, the tools are much faster and easyer to use.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 05/12/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

i have increment saving enabled....hitting ctrl+s makes a new save (001, 002, 003 etc)...lucky i have a large hd..i go a bit crazy and the average model has about 200 max files lol...

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

hi all im a newbie

just saying hello, ive been lurking a bit ever since inronikart showed me some artwork displayed on these forums but ive finally decided to sign up.
Thing is im a year 10 student who has little 3D knowledge but i came here in a hope to learn, online tutorials havent really been cutting it (you know how some can be) so i hope people dont mind if i ask a few questions now and then.
If you want to see some of my stuff head on to http://the-moon-unit.deviantart.com

Hello again :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 03/12/03 - 4:15 AM Permalink

Hello MoonUnit (Frank Zappa influence with the nick?), plenty here willing to help a newbie, just ask fire away :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 03/12/03 - 8:51 AM Permalink

(on the subject of my name) a friend heard about the odd name choice by zappa and decided to start calling me Moon Unit, it just kinda stuck.

(on the subject of newbie help) well asking the vets here where they started out, i dont really know what im looking for specifically but atm im just looking to be a good basic polly modeller, all i can do atm is bevel, extrude, slice plane and cut though :P
(im working with 3DSMax R3, old and busted i know but its the only one i could get, you know how much these things cost)

Submitted by Djenx on Fri, 05/12/03 - 1:13 AM Permalink

Hi MoonUnit
Bevel .......Extrude.......... man i wish i knew how to do that when i started off [:)]

if your looking for some very good video tutorials which cover everything and anything in 3ds max, head down to www.3dbuzz.com sign up for free and start downloading. www.3d-palace.com has some good video tutorials to but they ain?t as extensive as the ones at 3d buzz

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 05/12/03 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 05/12/03 - 4:17 AM Permalink

er Ninja. It's Maya PLE. Not PE :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/12/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Ninja

sounds ok but id have to take the initial steps (eg low poly modelling) before i even hit that status :P

thanks for that Doord ill have a look at that now EDIT: what unit of measurement do u have max setup in (like for parameters, cause mines in mm and 30 mm seems a bit small...)

and codyalday, im going with 3DS because i was lucky enough to get a copy of an old version of the the industrys more popular program, so i figure if its what i plan to work with for a job, may aswell give it a shot :D

EDIT: was going through your tutorial doord when 3DSmax just died when i was doing some headwork, stupid me hadnt saved at any point at all, im to cheesed to do anything more tonight but ill have a shot again perhaps tommorow or something

Submitted by MoonUnit (not verified) on Fri, 05/12/03 - 10:36 AM Permalink

With max if you have not saved, and been working for long periods, go into the max directory and find autoback folder, it will create backups every 15 mins or something similar.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 05/12/03 - 8:15 PM Permalink

MoonUnit: Afro is right on the money with the autoback thing.

unit of measurement isn't that improtant until you wish to get a model in game. I use Max units most of the time (the only time I don't is when I'm working on a game which has a different unit setup) and just have the mesh at a good size that is easy to work with inside the view port. I think when you are modeling this is the most important thing, to have the mesh a an easy to work with size, you can always scale the mesh before skining the model after you are done.

The tut is kind of old, I think after you go though it try your hand at edit poly, the tools are much faster and easyer to use.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 05/12/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

i have increment saving enabled....hitting ctrl+s makes a new save (001, 002, 003 etc)...lucky i have a large hd..i go a bit crazy and the average model has about 200 max files lol...