Skip to main content

3d magazines

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

I had a look at my newsagency for any 3d magazines but couldn't find any. The closest thing i found was some design magazine, it had a bit of 3d and everything, does anyone know any good 3d magazines.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 02/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

Don't buy 3D World. Well that's my opinion. It was never that great to begin with, and it seems to be getting worse :/

Computer Graphics World was a really good read, but I haven't seen that around for a year or so. Does anyone know if it still exsists?

What are you after specifically in the mag? A bit of everything? News? Reviews? Tutes? Artist Profiles? Unfortunately those things are pretty difficult to find in mags. The net is your best option. Pity you can't carry it around with you and read it on the can :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 02/03/04 - 6:32 AM Permalink

I am after a bit of everything.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

3D World? isn't that a clubbers newspaper? [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 02/03/04 - 10:00 AM Permalink

Can't offer too much help here, but I can add to what others are saying - 3d world seems to be way past its hey-day -- but, that's not to say it's not a worthwhile flip through still, especially for the hobbyist/beginner. Unfortunately the only real thing I get out of it personally nowadays is the industry news.

Other than that, I can also give a little bit of off-topic advice, if you're interested in game development professionaly, I'd recommend a subscription to EDGE (or another large reviews/previews/industry fluff mag) and the GDmag.

sorry for not being much of a help, but honestly I've yet to find any good mags for the garden variety 3d artist, and I've been looking for quite a while. Online resources (like insidecg.com, 3dtotal.com, cgchat.com etc) really do seem like the best places to get all this material and information.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 02/03/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

I find that Mags are about 3 months behind the net as far as this stuff goes, if you are like me and hate reading stuff on the computer print it out, it is just like a mag and it is petty much free.

I find Edge petty good, a good mix of stuff about the industry, as far as an 3D art mag goes it is a little to general.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

Edge and Game Developer are my fav's and every now and then I'll pick up a copy of PC Gamer.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 03/03/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Digital Media World is always an option, local mag, but nothing spectacular.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 03/03/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

ive never bought a 3d magazine so i cant comment..but whats wrong with the net? its all there for free :)

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 03/03/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Malus: would you like a copy of pc gamer, we were sent 960 copy because FF VS TTT is on the cover.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 03/03/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

brendan... is that nine hundred and sixty copies?!

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/03/04 - 6:56 AM Permalink

lol, I'm alright, but thanks for the offer. [:)]

Thats alot of magazines, have you guys thought of making wacky office furniture out of them?
I'm sure you could make a sofa with that many. [:P]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

I could not find any of the mentioned mags at my newsagent. where do you guys get edge and GDmag from

and doord recycle them image all the trees it would save :)

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:39 AM Permalink

EDGE is a great mag, and is generally available form most Canberran Newsagencies (yeah we can still get a few good mags down here). Otherwise EB stocks the latest versions, but they will cost you more.

GDmag I haven't seen for ages. There was only one Newsagency in Canberra that did stock it (at Manuka), but they stopped.

I recieved free copies of DMW for ages as I got a free subscription when I went to the AEAF. It was not the greatest mag and was fairly poorly written.

Iglis - The net is the best place for it, but once again, do you have a comp in your can? I dont have a laptop either, so it is difficult to read on the bus. Mags are great for that :)

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Well I actually like 3d World, except for the price, but Its had some rather good tutorials in it and articles and profiles. It has hardly any stuff on game development though

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

if you want GameDeveloper, sign up with IGDA (www.igda.org), otherwise expect to pay ~$20

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

I had a look at my newsagency for any 3d magazines but couldn't find any. The closest thing i found was some design magazine, it had a bit of 3d and everything, does anyone know any good 3d magazines.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 02/03/04 - 6:15 AM Permalink

Don't buy 3D World. Well that's my opinion. It was never that great to begin with, and it seems to be getting worse :/

Computer Graphics World was a really good read, but I haven't seen that around for a year or so. Does anyone know if it still exsists?

What are you after specifically in the mag? A bit of everything? News? Reviews? Tutes? Artist Profiles? Unfortunately those things are pretty difficult to find in mags. The net is your best option. Pity you can't carry it around with you and read it on the can :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 02/03/04 - 6:32 AM Permalink

I am after a bit of everything.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

3D World? isn't that a clubbers newspaper? [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 02/03/04 - 10:00 AM Permalink

Can't offer too much help here, but I can add to what others are saying - 3d world seems to be way past its hey-day -- but, that's not to say it's not a worthwhile flip through still, especially for the hobbyist/beginner. Unfortunately the only real thing I get out of it personally nowadays is the industry news.

Other than that, I can also give a little bit of off-topic advice, if you're interested in game development professionaly, I'd recommend a subscription to EDGE (or another large reviews/previews/industry fluff mag) and the GDmag.

sorry for not being much of a help, but honestly I've yet to find any good mags for the garden variety 3d artist, and I've been looking for quite a while. Online resources (like insidecg.com, 3dtotal.com, cgchat.com etc) really do seem like the best places to get all this material and information.

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 02/03/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

I find that Mags are about 3 months behind the net as far as this stuff goes, if you are like me and hate reading stuff on the computer print it out, it is just like a mag and it is petty much free.

I find Edge petty good, a good mix of stuff about the industry, as far as an 3D art mag goes it is a little to general.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 02/03/04 - 9:09 PM Permalink

Edge and Game Developer are my fav's and every now and then I'll pick up a copy of PC Gamer.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 03/03/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Digital Media World is always an option, local mag, but nothing spectacular.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 03/03/04 - 3:36 AM Permalink

ive never bought a 3d magazine so i cant comment..but whats wrong with the net? its all there for free :)

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 03/03/04 - 4:05 AM Permalink

Malus: would you like a copy of pc gamer, we were sent 960 copy because FF VS TTT is on the cover.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 03/03/04 - 5:21 AM Permalink

brendan... is that nine hundred and sixty copies?!

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 03/03/04 - 6:56 AM Permalink

lol, I'm alright, but thanks for the offer. [:)]

Thats alot of magazines, have you guys thought of making wacky office furniture out of them?
I'm sure you could make a sofa with that many. [:P]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 03/03/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

I could not find any of the mentioned mags at my newsagent. where do you guys get edge and GDmag from

and doord recycle them image all the trees it would save :)

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:39 AM Permalink

EDGE is a great mag, and is generally available form most Canberran Newsagencies (yeah we can still get a few good mags down here). Otherwise EB stocks the latest versions, but they will cost you more.

GDmag I haven't seen for ages. There was only one Newsagency in Canberra that did stock it (at Manuka), but they stopped.

I recieved free copies of DMW for ages as I got a free subscription when I went to the AEAF. It was not the greatest mag and was fairly poorly written.

Iglis - The net is the best place for it, but once again, do you have a comp in your can? I dont have a laptop either, so it is difficult to read on the bus. Mags are great for that :)

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Well I actually like 3d World, except for the price, but Its had some rather good tutorials in it and articles and profiles. It has hardly any stuff on game development though

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 04/03/04 - 10:21 AM Permalink

if you want GameDeveloper, sign up with IGDA (www.igda.org), otherwise expect to pay ~$20