Skip to main content

girl with dagger

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

the most recent page from my sketchbook.

It started off as a exercise in faces (drawing faces from the local newspaper) but grew into a bit of a character study. I'm a little undecided as to if it is finished or not. Might be lacking in details just a little on the clothing and accessories...but I think I will call it finished anyway :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004103162142_character_gi…]

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 01/11/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Nice clean, sketchy technique :) My only crit is that the head seems slightly large for the body which gives it a slight cartoony feel. Anyway, cool pic keep posting!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

yeah thats the definite stand out. It looks like a charictature by a political cartoonist or something. Making sure to get the face an acurate portrayal of the person and then giving them some sort of costume (eg there was one the other day in the age of john howard in a doctors coat and so on).
it does look very good though and the shading in particular is great

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

Its a really nice piece JohnN - Agree with the above comments though. I noticed that that style of hatching is not your usual ? or it could be the fact that im so used to seeing your great markerwork that I havent come across the pencil stuff yet! It looks good nevertheless.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 08/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah, now that i come back to the image the head is too big- an efffect of drawing with my sketchbook at a fair angle away from me maybe! Nothing that i can fix in photoshop :P

Haz: It's sort of an extention of my 'normal' hatching. I don't think I have posted anything with this exact technique before and rarely refine my pencil sketches this much cause most are destine for the pen+marker or scan and colour treatment.

Posted by Johnn on

the most recent page from my sketchbook.

It started off as a exercise in faces (drawing faces from the local newspaper) but grew into a bit of a character study. I'm a little undecided as to if it is finished or not. Might be lacking in details just a little on the clothing and accessories...but I think I will call it finished anyway :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004103162142_character_gi…]

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 01/11/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Nice clean, sketchy technique :) My only crit is that the head seems slightly large for the body which gives it a slight cartoony feel. Anyway, cool pic keep posting!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

yeah thats the definite stand out. It looks like a charictature by a political cartoonist or something. Making sure to get the face an acurate portrayal of the person and then giving them some sort of costume (eg there was one the other day in the age of john howard in a doctors coat and so on).
it does look very good though and the shading in particular is great

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

Its a really nice piece JohnN - Agree with the above comments though. I noticed that that style of hatching is not your usual ? or it could be the fact that im so used to seeing your great markerwork that I havent come across the pencil stuff yet! It looks good nevertheless.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 08/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah, now that i come back to the image the head is too big- an efffect of drawing with my sketchbook at a fair angle away from me maybe! Nothing that i can fix in photoshop :P

Haz: It's sort of an extention of my 'normal' hatching. I don't think I have posted anything with this exact technique before and rarely refine my pencil sketches this much cause most are destine for the pen+marker or scan and colour treatment.