Skip to main content

hmm how to...?

Submitted by rivit on
Forum

Hi I have spent last year and a half studying the uted3 /unreal editor for ut2003/4 ...Im a level designer/mapper
I believe im at a love to get a good job ..how would I go about it as im not having much luck ?here is 2 of my web pages ..btw im self educated in 3d?smax 5 and photo shop 7,uted3
-----------
http://groups.msn.com/acidDrean/shoebox.msnw?Page=1 [page 1 to 7]
i need to re make this as is mix of even my beginning work :)
--------------
this was ONS level i have not finished as yet
http://www.unrealed.orcon.net.nz/index.htm
----------------------------
and a pic on some thing im working on now ..
[img]http://ilikelinux.geek.nz/~rivit/ok.jpg[/img]

------------
I?m really in need of a job and I?m very good at what I do?

Submitted by rivit on Thu, 01/07/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

love?? level [:I]

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 02/07/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Welcome to Sumea.

I think you just need a little more study, the levels you have posted are a little on the uninteresting side, reminds me of some of the levels I made when I was starting out.

There are people here which can help you out and many level design places on the internet.

Also you have only posted pic of the levels, from what I have worked out from my work in the industry is that how a level looks isn't a job for a level designer there job is to make the level fun to play. And I think because of the amount of art in game nowadays developers are starting to have the level designer make the level (block it out) and have artist add detail and make the level look good, this way the level designers and spend all there time making the level fun, which in turn makes are better game.

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 7:57 AM Permalink

You are quite right in what you say ? using the uted 3 and unreal tournament 2004
I have learned the game play and try make the surroundings have a point , not just some thing to be arty or be a space filler .

As well as I design and make my levels by my self.. I do not have the pleasure of my work been refined to a desired point?I can only get so far by my self
I tend to design out of my head then run around feeling map then continue mapping
Due to my high level of experience with the eds bsp brush operations im able to make very complex brushes and shape worlds more easier..3ds max helps in many aspects
:P

if put in a healthy team environment my multy skills could reach potential?..

Feel free to to test my skills out , I know what im doing and you be surprised at what I can pull of in uted3 ..having got my red set in ut2003?s ed
any way thanks for your input

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 8:17 AM Permalink

some more pic?s that are not up really ...the cylindrical room is all 1 bsp brush except walkways ,walkway platform, door jams and cut in roof ..so very complex brush work..
[img]http://ilikelinux.geek.nz/~rivit/Shot00004.jpg[/img]
ill be working on this more and hopefully have a level finish soon
that is arty as well as reeks of game play :)

Sorry to take up so many slots but I intend to get some were as I have the potential to be a grate map per [;)][:)]

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 8:29 AM Permalink

I just read above post and it may lead to confusion? so
Room and 4 passage ways are 1 brush just... to clarify what I seed in above post

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 03/07/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

That first pic of the level in your first post reminds of a Doom III screenshot i've seen...

Nice work though, considered joining a mod team?

Submitted by rivit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Yes I have thought about it but in reality I have turned down a few offers as people do not know what they are doing and I have a high expectation of any team im on ..but even I higher expectation of my self and my work

I have my own mod in mind that screen is from the start of level 1
Im just sharpening up my gun modeling skills as im preparing to make a few weapons
So I can carry on mapping?.
I hope in time people will join ad work for free until at the end when it comes time to approach some 1 for a mod license ?

But why im here is a need a job and don?t look forward to getting a dish washing job when I could be doing what im good at .
[:D]

Posted by rivit on
Forum

Hi I have spent last year and a half studying the uted3 /unreal editor for ut2003/4 ...Im a level designer/mapper
I believe im at a love to get a good job ..how would I go about it as im not having much luck ?here is 2 of my web pages ..btw im self educated in 3d?smax 5 and photo shop 7,uted3
-----------
http://groups.msn.com/acidDrean/shoebox.msnw?Page=1 [page 1 to 7]
i need to re make this as is mix of even my beginning work :)
--------------
this was ONS level i have not finished as yet
http://www.unrealed.orcon.net.nz/index.htm
----------------------------
and a pic on some thing im working on now ..
[img]http://ilikelinux.geek.nz/~rivit/ok.jpg[/img]

------------
I?m really in need of a job and I?m very good at what I do?

Submitted by rivit on Thu, 01/07/04 - 10:39 PM Permalink

love?? level [:I]

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 02/07/04 - 12:20 AM Permalink

Welcome to Sumea.

I think you just need a little more study, the levels you have posted are a little on the uninteresting side, reminds me of some of the levels I made when I was starting out.

There are people here which can help you out and many level design places on the internet.

Also you have only posted pic of the levels, from what I have worked out from my work in the industry is that how a level looks isn't a job for a level designer there job is to make the level fun to play. And I think because of the amount of art in game nowadays developers are starting to have the level designer make the level (block it out) and have artist add detail and make the level look good, this way the level designers and spend all there time making the level fun, which in turn makes are better game.

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 7:57 AM Permalink

You are quite right in what you say ? using the uted 3 and unreal tournament 2004
I have learned the game play and try make the surroundings have a point , not just some thing to be arty or be a space filler .

As well as I design and make my levels by my self.. I do not have the pleasure of my work been refined to a desired point?I can only get so far by my self
I tend to design out of my head then run around feeling map then continue mapping
Due to my high level of experience with the eds bsp brush operations im able to make very complex brushes and shape worlds more easier..3ds max helps in many aspects
:P

if put in a healthy team environment my multy skills could reach potential?..

Feel free to to test my skills out , I know what im doing and you be surprised at what I can pull of in uted3 ..having got my red set in ut2003?s ed
any way thanks for your input

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 8:17 AM Permalink

some more pic?s that are not up really ...the cylindrical room is all 1 bsp brush except walkways ,walkway platform, door jams and cut in roof ..so very complex brush work..
[img]http://ilikelinux.geek.nz/~rivit/Shot00004.jpg[/img]
ill be working on this more and hopefully have a level finish soon
that is arty as well as reeks of game play :)

Sorry to take up so many slots but I intend to get some were as I have the potential to be a grate map per [;)][:)]

Submitted by rivit on Fri, 02/07/04 - 8:29 AM Permalink

I just read above post and it may lead to confusion? so
Room and 4 passage ways are 1 brush just... to clarify what I seed in above post

Submitted by tbag on Sat, 03/07/04 - 8:37 AM Permalink

That first pic of the level in your first post reminds of a Doom III screenshot i've seen...

Nice work though, considered joining a mod team?

Submitted by rivit on Sun, 04/07/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Yes I have thought about it but in reality I have turned down a few offers as people do not know what they are doing and I have a high expectation of any team im on ..but even I higher expectation of my self and my work

I have my own mod in mind that screen is from the start of level 1
Im just sharpening up my gun modeling skills as im preparing to make a few weapons
So I can carry on mapping?.
I hope in time people will join ad work for free until at the end when it comes time to approach some 1 for a mod license ?

But why im here is a need a job and don?t look forward to getting a dish washing job when I could be doing what im good at .
[:D]