Skip to main content

The detention centre game

Forum

Whats your opinion on the game. (In case you skipped the news page, go read it now)
I say its a good idea, its basically a statement, If they do a good job with it they may change peoples attitudes towards the refugee issues.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

Not a good idea to start this one FluffyCatFood. I smell smoke lol.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

i dont care. if it has good multiplayer its all good by me :)

having a railgun and some nice cars will also help. lol

Submitted by lava monkey on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

i wish it was that easy to get federal funding normally, maybe i'll pick a local political issue to make my next game out of.
How about a tycoon game based around Christopher Skase. :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:37 AM Permalink

Or a game about pale aliens invading a planet and killing its inhabitants in the name of their mother ship Britannia. You are the plucky alien starship Captain James Cook.

Hang on that sounds familiar.....

Submitted by souri on Sat, 03/05/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

I dunno.. when I first heard about it, I didn't immediately think "oh, I want to play this game!". My first response was "they're making a game out of this?!". And that's probably why it's making news.. (the $25,000 cost I wasn't shocked about). It's making entertainment of a pretty appalling situation and I think a computer game is the wrong medium to make a statement about the refugee problem. It's just bad taste, I think. Of course, that's not to say there aren't other games out there that also based in rather dubious scenarios. Just depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 03/05/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Well I don't think it's a particularly amazing/revolutionary concept - and as far as the moral implications go, I think the computer games industry already has a label attached to it that we can't get rid of and it's not worth getting worked up about. Personally though, I bet ten bucks the game is a stinker.

I wouldn't think it's a good direction for the developer though. You know what they say though, any publicity is good publicity.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 03/05/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

I heard an interview with two people that were making it this morning on TripleJ. It kinda sounds interesting that they're trying a new avenue for games - the political point one... They also mentioned Deus Ex as probably one of the more politically inclined games that they have come across.

But yeah, I don't think that it'll be fun to play, not for normal gamers though, I just can't see myself enjoying it. Maybe if I kept running the character into barbed wire, that might be fun for a few seconds.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 03/05/03 - 12:45 PM Permalink

Barbed wire is for sissies, try out the razor wire :)

Forum

Whats your opinion on the game. (In case you skipped the news page, go read it now)
I say its a good idea, its basically a statement, If they do a good job with it they may change peoples attitudes towards the refugee issues.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 1:58 AM Permalink

Not a good idea to start this one FluffyCatFood. I smell smoke lol.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/05/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

i dont care. if it has good multiplayer its all good by me :)

having a railgun and some nice cars will also help. lol

Submitted by lava monkey on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

i wish it was that easy to get federal funding normally, maybe i'll pick a local political issue to make my next game out of.
How about a tycoon game based around Christopher Skase. :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 02/05/03 - 4:37 AM Permalink

Or a game about pale aliens invading a planet and killing its inhabitants in the name of their mother ship Britannia. You are the plucky alien starship Captain James Cook.

Hang on that sounds familiar.....

Submitted by souri on Sat, 03/05/03 - 12:14 AM Permalink

I dunno.. when I first heard about it, I didn't immediately think "oh, I want to play this game!". My first response was "they're making a game out of this?!". And that's probably why it's making news.. (the $25,000 cost I wasn't shocked about). It's making entertainment of a pretty appalling situation and I think a computer game is the wrong medium to make a statement about the refugee problem. It's just bad taste, I think. Of course, that's not to say there aren't other games out there that also based in rather dubious scenarios. Just depends on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 03/05/03 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Well I don't think it's a particularly amazing/revolutionary concept - and as far as the moral implications go, I think the computer games industry already has a label attached to it that we can't get rid of and it's not worth getting worked up about. Personally though, I bet ten bucks the game is a stinker.

I wouldn't think it's a good direction for the developer though. You know what they say though, any publicity is good publicity.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 03/05/03 - 9:58 AM Permalink

I heard an interview with two people that were making it this morning on TripleJ. It kinda sounds interesting that they're trying a new avenue for games - the political point one... They also mentioned Deus Ex as probably one of the more politically inclined games that they have come across.

But yeah, I don't think that it'll be fun to play, not for normal gamers though, I just can't see myself enjoying it. Maybe if I kept running the character into barbed wire, that might be fun for a few seconds.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 03/05/03 - 12:45 PM Permalink

Barbed wire is for sissies, try out the razor wire :)