Skip to main content

character revisited - priestess

• I don't seem to keep my journal very up-to-date with what I am producing. So it's high time to do a bit of an update... and here it is!

some sketchbook environments in pen, a second GTA style illustration just to prove the first wasn't a…

• This piece has been created to display (and practice) alternate styles / techniques.. In the style of Rockstars game - Grand Theft Auto. Created using Photoshop and Freehand.

• whilst waiting for the next quick 2d activity I though I would 'doodle' a face in a few spare hours. Things got a little out of hand and a more or less finished painting have been the result.

Created in Painter with a little Photohshop and…

• Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! This little painting is a revisited character concept that I originally did as a model sheet excercise (it's was posted here some time back).

Created in Photoshop :)

• A revisited personal project. The original project was a set of different air/space craft finished to a pen and marker stage.

This piece was created entirely in photoshop.

• finally managed to get some thing done to post to the mod concept art thread!

• Refining the processes of creating a character concept and model sheet. all tone and colour added in Photoshop. Initial drawing were pencil on paper.

• I have finally invested in a tablet :) and this as the first more-or-less finished painting. Created with 'Corel Painter Essentials' and some minor photoshop work too.

• Finally recharged the markers and got around to doing some sketching again! These images are sketched by hand and coloured in P'shop.

• Well... this is my final painting for the current 'quick activity'. Painted in Photoshop. see thread for more details on process etc.

Submitted by Johnn on

Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! well over the last few days I did some quick figure studies. I was quite happy with the result so decided to progress one of the studies into a character painting. This character is a re-visit of one I posted some time ago in the form of a model sheet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_conceptL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Azazel on Fri, 19/08/05 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Hey, I remember this from a while back. When you say quick figure studies do you mean from life or reference or just from the top of your ninja shirted head? One thing I noticed straight away (because its the first thing I always look for) is that you seem to have avoided doing the hands and feet to the same level of detail as the rest of the figure. The rest of the figure looks spot on though, you've got a nice sense of weight going with the pose of the figure.

But yes, add feet. Unless she's re-enacting the end of T2, in which case your next drawing should have her on her knees screaming at the ceiling, about to explode.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 21/08/05 - 12:50 AM Permalink

the figure was from photo reference - much faster to get good natural pose. I left the hands and feet out simple because they aren't important to the concept. But just for you Azazel I have added some :P
Actually your comment made me think that it might be a good detail to include, especially as I want to use it in my on-line portfolio.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/images/illustration/concept_creat…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 28/08/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

neat quick paint, looking at the side profile, it looks like she's going to topple forward.

cheers.

Posted by Johnn on

Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! well over the last few days I did some quick figure studies. I was quite happy with the result so decided to progress one of the studies into a character painting. This character is a re-visit of one I posted some time ago in the form of a model sheet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_conceptL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Azazel on Fri, 19/08/05 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Hey, I remember this from a while back. When you say quick figure studies do you mean from life or reference or just from the top of your ninja shirted head? One thing I noticed straight away (because its the first thing I always look for) is that you seem to have avoided doing the hands and feet to the same level of detail as the rest of the figure. The rest of the figure looks spot on though, you've got a nice sense of weight going with the pose of the figure.

But yes, add feet. Unless she's re-enacting the end of T2, in which case your next drawing should have her on her knees screaming at the ceiling, about to explode.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 21/08/05 - 12:50 AM Permalink

the figure was from photo reference - much faster to get good natural pose. I left the hands and feet out simple because they aren't important to the concept. But just for you Azazel I have added some :P
Actually your comment made me think that it might be a good detail to include, especially as I want to use it in my on-line portfolio.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/images/illustration/concept_creat…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 28/08/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

neat quick paint, looking at the side profile, it looks like she's going to topple forward.

cheers.