Skip to main content

character revisited - priestess

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! well over the last few days I did some quick figure studies. I was quite happy with the result so decided to progress one of the studies into a character painting. This character is a re-visit of one I posted some time ago in the form of a model sheet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_conceptL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Azazel on Fri, 19/08/05 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Hey, I remember this from a while back. When you say quick figure studies do you mean from life or reference or just from the top of your ninja shirted head? One thing I noticed straight away (because its the first thing I always look for) is that you seem to have avoided doing the hands and feet to the same level of detail as the rest of the figure. The rest of the figure looks spot on though, you've got a nice sense of weight going with the pose of the figure.

But yes, add feet. Unless she's re-enacting the end of T2, in which case your next drawing should have her on her knees screaming at the ceiling, about to explode.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 21/08/05 - 12:50 AM Permalink

the figure was from photo reference - much faster to get good natural pose. I left the hands and feet out simple because they aren't important to the concept. But just for you Azazel I have added some :P
Actually your comment made me think that it might be a good detail to include, especially as I want to use it in my on-line portfolio.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/images/illustration/concept_creat…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 28/08/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

neat quick paint, looking at the side profile, it looks like she's going to topple forward.

cheers.

Posted by Johnn on

Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! well over the last few days I did some quick figure studies. I was quite happy with the result so decided to progress one of the studies into a character painting. This character is a re-visit of one I posted some time ago in the form of a model sheet.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_conceptL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Azazel on Fri, 19/08/05 - 12:02 PM Permalink

Hey, I remember this from a while back. When you say quick figure studies do you mean from life or reference or just from the top of your ninja shirted head? One thing I noticed straight away (because its the first thing I always look for) is that you seem to have avoided doing the hands and feet to the same level of detail as the rest of the figure. The rest of the figure looks spot on though, you've got a nice sense of weight going with the pose of the figure.

But yes, add feet. Unless she's re-enacting the end of T2, in which case your next drawing should have her on her knees screaming at the ceiling, about to explode.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 21/08/05 - 12:50 AM Permalink

the figure was from photo reference - much faster to get good natural pose. I left the hands and feet out simple because they aren't important to the concept. But just for you Azazel I have added some :P
Actually your comment made me think that it might be a good detail to include, especially as I want to use it in my on-line portfolio.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/images/illustration/concept_creat…]

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 28/08/05 - 5:07 AM Permalink

neat quick paint, looking at the side profile, it looks like she's going to topple forward.

cheers.