Skip to main content

girl with dagger

• Seems to have been a while since I did a character design, and the first i have completed in a pen and marker technique!

Brief was fairly open: Barbarian Warrior, something along the lines of Conan.

• More additions in my folio redesign. I'm done with creatures (for now) and on to environments.

will post in exhibition section for crits etc.

• currently re(x3)doing my illustration folio. Aiming to get it looking more 'professional concept artist' and less... stinky! ... no I mean less aimless illustrator ...less whatever it was!

So fingers crossed this is latest work is on the…

• 3rd in my series of roadster concepts- Overall theme of this personal project was to explore design variations within a roadster format.

This addition to the series was created entirely in Photoshop (except the mags, I admit I appropriated…

• The latest sketches from my sketch book, With a bit of colour added. Will post them to the exhibition section too for comments :)

• Yet another painting in my Architecture series, possibly the last one for this batch. Definitely the most finished one so far, although technically still a WIP (I've glossed over the ocean for starters)

It will be added to my thread in the…

• This time some architecture/city-scape concept sketches. I have done very little of this type of subject matter in the past (virtually none!) so I thought it would be a good subject to have a practice at.

As with my previous postings, I…

• Sketches examining a roman/greek style guard. This work in progress has been posted in the Exhibition section for comments/crits.

...I will get onto an avitar soon!

• sketches in progress. Still needs some technical design aspects addressed (thanks for the feed back folks)

• I have been sketching some quadruped vehicles recentily (a topic that I have not had a lot of practice with.) I am also experimenting with colouring techniques > Aiming for a fast technique that helps to describe the forms/volumes, and matches…

Submitted by Johnn on

the most recent page from my sketchbook.

It started off as a exercise in faces (drawing faces from the local newspaper) but grew into a bit of a character study. I'm a little undecided as to if it is finished or not. Might be lacking in details just a little on the clothing and accessories...but I think I will call it finished anyway :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004103162142_character_gi…]

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 01/11/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Nice clean, sketchy technique :) My only crit is that the head seems slightly large for the body which gives it a slight cartoony feel. Anyway, cool pic keep posting!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

yeah thats the definite stand out. It looks like a charictature by a political cartoonist or something. Making sure to get the face an acurate portrayal of the person and then giving them some sort of costume (eg there was one the other day in the age of john howard in a doctors coat and so on).
it does look very good though and the shading in particular is great

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

Its a really nice piece JohnN - Agree with the above comments though. I noticed that that style of hatching is not your usual ? or it could be the fact that im so used to seeing your great markerwork that I havent come across the pencil stuff yet! It looks good nevertheless.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 08/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah, now that i come back to the image the head is too big- an efffect of drawing with my sketchbook at a fair angle away from me maybe! Nothing that i can fix in photoshop :P

Haz: It's sort of an extention of my 'normal' hatching. I don't think I have posted anything with this exact technique before and rarely refine my pencil sketches this much cause most are destine for the pen+marker or scan and colour treatment.

Posted by Johnn on

the most recent page from my sketchbook.

It started off as a exercise in faces (drawing faces from the local newspaper) but grew into a bit of a character study. I'm a little undecided as to if it is finished or not. Might be lacking in details just a little on the clothing and accessories...but I think I will call it finished anyway :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004103162142_character_gi…]

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 01/11/04 - 10:29 AM Permalink

Nice clean, sketchy technique :) My only crit is that the head seems slightly large for the body which gives it a slight cartoony feel. Anyway, cool pic keep posting!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 01/11/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

yeah thats the definite stand out. It looks like a charictature by a political cartoonist or something. Making sure to get the face an acurate portrayal of the person and then giving them some sort of costume (eg there was one the other day in the age of john howard in a doctors coat and so on).
it does look very good though and the shading in particular is great

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 02/11/04 - 7:14 AM Permalink

Its a really nice piece JohnN - Agree with the above comments though. I noticed that that style of hatching is not your usual ? or it could be the fact that im so used to seeing your great markerwork that I havent come across the pencil stuff yet! It looks good nevertheless.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 08/11/04 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah, now that i come back to the image the head is too big- an efffect of drawing with my sketchbook at a fair angle away from me maybe! Nothing that i can fix in photoshop :P

Haz: It's sort of an extention of my 'normal' hatching. I don't think I have posted anything with this exact technique before and rarely refine my pencil sketches this much cause most are destine for the pen+marker or scan and colour treatment.