Skip to main content

Pixar Ditches Disney

Submitted by Aven on
Forum
Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/01/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

Thats not good for Disney!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:14 AM Permalink

WOW. Those Disney guys are crazy.

It's interesting to see that disney can make sequael to those original 5 movies, should Pixar decline... Finding Nemo 2, 3 and 7. Of couse, no animation studio in their right mind would be in any rush to try and fill pixar's shoes...

Submitted by souri on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:27 AM Permalink

Disney have had it good with Pixar with some dodgy dealings. There was a 5 movie distribution deal where Disney would reap a lot of the profits from the Pixar movies. That deal, however, didn't include sequels, which means Toy Story 2 didn't count as a movie. Disney saw the Pixar split coming a mile away. That's why they've been downsizing their traditional 2D areas (there was a 2D animation studio they shut down recently which had over 200 animators), to concentrate on 3D and compete with Pixar and everyone else. I think it's a shame to see this transition because I have a great appreciation for hand drawn animation - especially the Disney style (Alladin, Mulan, Hercules, Lion King etc.. I could go on). The recent Disney movies haven't been too good though. Unfortunately no one has told them that it's the stories that made the Pixar movies so successful, not the 3D.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 31/01/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

wow disney must be pretty unhappy about this. Good luck to pixar though, their movies are some of the best ive ever seen!

"are you my concience?"

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sun, 01/02/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I think there will always be a place for 2D animation, no matter how good 3D gets. Lilo & Stich wasn't such a bad effort on Disneys part, I like it. Nice art, reasonable story line, I like how they switched back to watercolour for their backgrounds, something they haven't done since Dumbo.

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 01/02/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Damn aladdin was a good movie... still haven't seen Mulan or Lilo and Stitch. Mental note.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 01/02/04 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Smiles a little smile.

Gee no one thought that was comming.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 01/02/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

The Emperor's New Groove is still my fav. They poked fun at themselves really well. Then Aladdin and The Jungle Book. Pretty much everyone saw this one coming. I heard about it about mid way through last year. Although it is pretty sadening, I'm sure that Pixar are doing it for their own good. I am just interested to know who they will go to now...

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 01/02/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

I really havn't liked any disney 2D cartoon since Lion King. I think companies like dreamworks are really dominating the animation area, sinbad kicked arse and so did shrek. They are also doing well in the 3D area with shrek, shrek 2 comin out, shrek 3 in plan and also shark tales. Go dreamworks.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

I read somewhere that a big portion of Disney's entire profits were due to Pixar's films. It's definately going to be an interesting time for Disney in the future.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 04/02/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Yeah i read that too Souri and as for Disney i think they need Lester and Iliza to help them again(If anyone gets that [:P]).

Poor Disney, they made some great stuff, i just hope they dont die. They hadnt been doing well since Pixar joined them. Its sad for the factorys in China and for McDonalds, the factorys cant produce the crappy Nemo merchandise for Happy Meals with copyright Disney & Pixar films 2003 on them, and McDonalds cant sell the crappy happy meals with free crappy merchandise due to the break up.

See people you have to think outside the square, think of others and the chain reaction!

Submitted by ScORCHo on Thu, 05/02/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Awesome...thats means Pixar can make movies their own without the shitty Disney "LOVE&FRIENDSHIP RULES..OK!" stamp of approval. Thats the only thing i hate about Pixars movies. Good luck to them. Cant wait to see a "DISNEY NOT TOUCH!" Pixar movie.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/02/04 - 5:47 AM Permalink

oh my god, they cant do that thats so wrong to not have pixar do toy story.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 05/02/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

I've already got my toy story + toy story 2 boxset... fire away!

I'd love to hear Tom Hanks and Tim Allen refuse to work on the movie, that would rock.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 06/02/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

I read that Disney might not have had much choice. The new contract deal Pixar wanted would not have been favourable for Disney. So Eisner would have been damned either way- split with Pixar or sign a contract that would not have limited/reduced their Pixar-related erning potential.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 7:22 PM Permalink

I'am a fan of marvel comics, but i don't think they need pixar to make good movies. Alot of the marvel comics gone movies (ie: Spiderman, X men) had a lot of CG effects and stuff with out pixar, I don't think they need pixar or pixar needs them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 10/02/04 - 12:51 AM Permalink

some of the marvel movies were top stuff (like x-men2) but to have pixar do them would be awesome! i wouldnt like to see pixar tied to marvel though, as pixar needs to be able to do its usual stuff aswell.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 10/02/04 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Also Marvel comics are serious where as Pixar Movies are mostly Comedy I don't know if I'd want to see a Serious movie by Pixar or a comedy movie by marvel for that matter.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:40 PM Permalink

a quote from someone i don't remember
"comedians by and large, are the ONLY people who can be taken seriously"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

MGM hey... well it makes sense, like it was mentioned in the article they dont allready have anything established in the animation/childrens department so it broadens their horizon, aslong as pixar are shown the respect they deserve :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:53 AM Permalink

lol we are a happy chappy arent we, well if he is responsible for the demise of the pixar disney relationship as is rumoured i suppose it is only good news that hes gone.

Posted by Aven on
Forum

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 31/01/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

Thats not good for Disney!

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:14 AM Permalink

WOW. Those Disney guys are crazy.

It's interesting to see that disney can make sequael to those original 5 movies, should Pixar decline... Finding Nemo 2, 3 and 7. Of couse, no animation studio in their right mind would be in any rush to try and fill pixar's shoes...

Submitted by souri on Sat, 31/01/04 - 10:27 AM Permalink

Disney have had it good with Pixar with some dodgy dealings. There was a 5 movie distribution deal where Disney would reap a lot of the profits from the Pixar movies. That deal, however, didn't include sequels, which means Toy Story 2 didn't count as a movie. Disney saw the Pixar split coming a mile away. That's why they've been downsizing their traditional 2D areas (there was a 2D animation studio they shut down recently which had over 200 animators), to concentrate on 3D and compete with Pixar and everyone else. I think it's a shame to see this transition because I have a great appreciation for hand drawn animation - especially the Disney style (Alladin, Mulan, Hercules, Lion King etc.. I could go on). The recent Disney movies haven't been too good though. Unfortunately no one has told them that it's the stories that made the Pixar movies so successful, not the 3D.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 31/01/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

wow disney must be pretty unhappy about this. Good luck to pixar though, their movies are some of the best ive ever seen!

"are you my concience?"

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sun, 01/02/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I think there will always be a place for 2D animation, no matter how good 3D gets. Lilo & Stich wasn't such a bad effort on Disneys part, I like it. Nice art, reasonable story line, I like how they switched back to watercolour for their backgrounds, something they haven't done since Dumbo.

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 01/02/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Damn aladdin was a good movie... still haven't seen Mulan or Lilo and Stitch. Mental note.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 01/02/04 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Smiles a little smile.

Gee no one thought that was comming.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 01/02/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

The Emperor's New Groove is still my fav. They poked fun at themselves really well. Then Aladdin and The Jungle Book. Pretty much everyone saw this one coming. I heard about it about mid way through last year. Although it is pretty sadening, I'm sure that Pixar are doing it for their own good. I am just interested to know who they will go to now...

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 01/02/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

I really havn't liked any disney 2D cartoon since Lion King. I think companies like dreamworks are really dominating the animation area, sinbad kicked arse and so did shrek. They are also doing well in the 3D area with shrek, shrek 2 comin out, shrek 3 in plan and also shark tales. Go dreamworks.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 03/02/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

I read somewhere that a big portion of Disney's entire profits were due to Pixar's films. It's definately going to be an interesting time for Disney in the future.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 04/02/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

Yeah i read that too Souri and as for Disney i think they need Lester and Iliza to help them again(If anyone gets that [:P]).

Poor Disney, they made some great stuff, i just hope they dont die. They hadnt been doing well since Pixar joined them. Its sad for the factorys in China and for McDonalds, the factorys cant produce the crappy Nemo merchandise for Happy Meals with copyright Disney & Pixar films 2003 on them, and McDonalds cant sell the crappy happy meals with free crappy merchandise due to the break up.

See people you have to think outside the square, think of others and the chain reaction!

Submitted by ScORCHo on Thu, 05/02/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Awesome...thats means Pixar can make movies their own without the shitty Disney "LOVE&FRIENDSHIP RULES..OK!" stamp of approval. Thats the only thing i hate about Pixars movies. Good luck to them. Cant wait to see a "DISNEY NOT TOUCH!" Pixar movie.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 05/02/04 - 5:47 AM Permalink

oh my god, they cant do that thats so wrong to not have pixar do toy story.

Submitted by smeg on Thu, 05/02/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

I've already got my toy story + toy story 2 boxset... fire away!

I'd love to hear Tom Hanks and Tim Allen refuse to work on the movie, that would rock.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 06/02/04 - 12:43 AM Permalink

I read that Disney might not have had much choice. The new contract deal Pixar wanted would not have been favourable for Disney. So Eisner would have been damned either way- split with Pixar or sign a contract that would not have limited/reduced their Pixar-related erning potential.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 7:22 PM Permalink

I'am a fan of marvel comics, but i don't think they need pixar to make good movies. Alot of the marvel comics gone movies (ie: Spiderman, X men) had a lot of CG effects and stuff with out pixar, I don't think they need pixar or pixar needs them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 10/02/04 - 12:51 AM Permalink

some of the marvel movies were top stuff (like x-men2) but to have pixar do them would be awesome! i wouldnt like to see pixar tied to marvel though, as pixar needs to be able to do its usual stuff aswell.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 10/02/04 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Also Marvel comics are serious where as Pixar Movies are mostly Comedy I don't know if I'd want to see a Serious movie by Pixar or a comedy movie by marvel for that matter.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:40 PM Permalink

a quote from someone i don't remember
"comedians by and large, are the ONLY people who can be taken seriously"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:14 PM Permalink

MGM hey... well it makes sense, like it was mentioned in the article they dont allready have anything established in the animation/childrens department so it broadens their horizon, aslong as pixar are shown the respect they deserve :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:53 AM Permalink

lol we are a happy chappy arent we, well if he is responsible for the demise of the pixar disney relationship as is rumoured i suppose it is only good news that hes gone.