Skip to main content

Need help, badly

Submitted by codyalday on
Forum

hi there, my friend has a problem with his computer. Everytime he trys to use the internet, the computer turns off (like pulling the plug out of the wall) He has tried different USB ports and still the same. MSN works though. It is not internet explorer or the cable modem becuase he runs a network with internet connection sharing and when surfing the internet on that, there are no problems. He has tried meny time reinstalling Windows XP Pro, reformatting, etc, still the same. Also he has installed windows 98 and tried the internet, and worked fine and did not turn off then. Any thing will be appreshiated, thankaz in adavnced.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 6:32 AM Permalink

there was the virus a while back that was doing that (i had it). cant remember what it was called.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 6:33 AM Permalink

msblast.exe virus i think.

if its that you need to get a little program off the Symantec website called "FixBlast"

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 31/12/03 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Thankaz, ill tell me friend about it, thankaz again guys

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 31/12/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Yeah the blaster worm, i had it to. It shuts your computer down soon as you log onto the net. You just have to download the security update from the microsoft website. If it comes up on the computer then go to run and type in "shutdown -a" this stops ot from shutting down and you can download the patch. The problem only occurs with XP.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 10:57 PM Permalink

quote:type in "shutdown -a" this stops ot from shutting down

i would have liked to have known that when i got it. instead i had to move the modem over to my old computer, setup connection. connect. download then move it back over....

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 31/12/03 - 11:38 PM Permalink

I actually got the fix a week before it hit, so I was very lucky. I think that I am about one of eight people in the world that didn't get hit by it :)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 01/01/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

my computer was shutting itself down for about 1? weeks before I even heard about it on the news.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 01/01/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

I told my frined about this, and he read and said that it aint the it anit msblast, so anything else would be good.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Fri, 02/01/04 - 9:23 AM Permalink

Heh... most annoying aspect of msblast virus for me was that the damn thing shuts down the IE when i'm downloading the MS updates to fix it... AI anyone??

Posted by codyalday on
Forum

hi there, my friend has a problem with his computer. Everytime he trys to use the internet, the computer turns off (like pulling the plug out of the wall) He has tried different USB ports and still the same. MSN works though. It is not internet explorer or the cable modem becuase he runs a network with internet connection sharing and when surfing the internet on that, there are no problems. He has tried meny time reinstalling Windows XP Pro, reformatting, etc, still the same. Also he has installed windows 98 and tried the internet, and worked fine and did not turn off then. Any thing will be appreshiated, thankaz in adavnced.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 6:32 AM Permalink

there was the virus a while back that was doing that (i had it). cant remember what it was called.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 6:33 AM Permalink

msblast.exe virus i think.

if its that you need to get a little program off the Symantec website called "FixBlast"

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 31/12/03 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Thankaz, ill tell me friend about it, thankaz again guys

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 31/12/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Yeah the blaster worm, i had it to. It shuts your computer down soon as you log onto the net. You just have to download the security update from the microsoft website. If it comes up on the computer then go to run and type in "shutdown -a" this stops ot from shutting down and you can download the patch. The problem only occurs with XP.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 31/12/03 - 10:57 PM Permalink

quote:type in "shutdown -a" this stops ot from shutting down

i would have liked to have known that when i got it. instead i had to move the modem over to my old computer, setup connection. connect. download then move it back over....

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 31/12/03 - 11:38 PM Permalink

I actually got the fix a week before it hit, so I was very lucky. I think that I am about one of eight people in the world that didn't get hit by it :)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 01/01/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

my computer was shutting itself down for about 1? weeks before I even heard about it on the news.

Submitted by codyalday on Thu, 01/01/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

I told my frined about this, and he read and said that it aint the it anit msblast, so anything else would be good.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Fri, 02/01/04 - 9:23 AM Permalink

Heh... most annoying aspect of msblast virus for me was that the damn thing shuts down the IE when i'm downloading the MS updates to fix it... AI anyone??