Skip to main content

sketchbook - environments

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

I have been putting in some time working on quick environment visuals in the trusty sketch book recently. The aim has been to pump out a large volume 'high school english journal style'(27 piccies done so far) rather than getting hung up on details and creating masterpieces. Particular attention has been paid to process, perspective, composition and line quality.

The excercise was triggered off by a job application that required a small drawing test to a mock brief (didn't get the job, bummer).

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 30/09/06 - 11:25 AM Permalink

Thats a shame about the job, the sketches are really nice im reading a book atm on drawing landscapes and citys that has stuff on perspective and composition. So its nice to see work similar to what im learning hopefully it will inspire me when i have some time to sit down and do sketches my self ^_^

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Tue, 10/10/06 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Dear John,
These look great, lets see some more. I like the line weight to create seperation for distance. It looks a comic book style, you done any of that?
If you are into a good venue for sketches, drop into the design studio press forum. There is a sketch group there each week. It's a bit of a ghost town but the few that post are a fun encouraging group. And it's a different topic each week to keep you on your toes.
Incidently, what do you think was the problem with the job? Drawing or adherence to brief?
Regards,
EtaCarinaeEtaCarinae2006-10-09 21:06:13

Submitted by bumskee on Tue, 10/10/06 - 6:31 AM Permalink

nice work, I think these are great.. :) pity about the job tho. cheers, Min

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 11/10/06 - 7:43 AM Permalink

thanks for the words guys :)

I hope you post some environments when you get around to practicing them Neffy. My 'time finding' technique was to draw in front of the evening telly. Maybe a time management technique that would work for you too!

Cheers for the dofus link JI. It was new to me and inspirational to browse through. Triggered off the 'birds eye view' scenes in this post.

Eta, haven't done any comic book stuff (this century at least). regarding the job - I understand the quality of my submission was fine, someone with more appropriate content in their portfolio got the gig in the end. Annoyingly the company obviously can't disclose what their up-comming project(s) are and hence can't say what content would have been more appropriate... frustrating.

...few more enviroments from my sketchbook for ya all to have a look at too.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 11/10/06 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Dear John,
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk,the old "someone with more appropriate content in their portfolio" routine eh? I always think it would be interesting to see the work that got the job! but that of course is impossible to disclose as well.
I know these are just sketches but try paying a little closer attention to perspective. Amongst other nit-picky things the right hand roof in the middle sketch is off. It's your beautiful precise parallel line work that gives it away.
If you sketch in acurate persective, it'll be good practice for more finished work.
You prob already know this but if you don't...
To do this roof correctly, connect the diagonally opposite corners of the top facing surface of this rectangular building. Where they cross is the true center of the 'roof'. Then draw a line down from the center point to the vp your walls are going to. Follow it up and make this the apex of your roof.
Make sense? You probably already know this cause everything else looks pretty solid. I really like the top one.
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Brawsome on Wed, 11/10/06 - 5:49 PM Permalink

Nice work John. Are you a fan of point n click adventure by any chance? I reckon your backgrounds would fit well in that style of game. If you'd be interested in doing backgrounds for a point n click adventure I could certainly use your skills =0).chameleon2006-10-11 07:49:25

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 16/10/06 - 6:56 AM Permalink

...and you guessed it, some more environments from my sketchbook.

That roof is a bit of a glaring oversite on my part isn't it Eta! It is amazing(or amazingly annoying, to be more precise) how I can miss measuring up such a major element and then overlook the error before inking it all in! On the whole I think the sketches are getting technically more accurate though, so the practice is working I think.

Submitted by bumskee on Mon, 16/10/06 - 7:36 AM Permalink

Looks great.. having said that, I have no idea about perspective. have you by any chance looked at Feng Zhu dvd on perspective? I had a quick look over the weekend, and I must say it was very inspiring.. lots of infos and it was frankly a little freaky to see someone work so quick with perspective.. Might be a good resource if you haven't looked at them.

Looking good john! cheers, Min

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 16/10/06 - 7:49 AM Permalink

hey John, you know I love these :)

are you planning to do any mood studies with these? I'd love to see some colours splashed over them

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Mon, 16/10/06 - 3:48 PM Permalink

Yeah ditto to that! I'd love to see some colour or even some value.
Perspective is a funny thing. It's not really art! It's more akin to a table than to a drawing, in that it is a TOOL only. Once you learn the basic rules they just sit in the back of your brain waiting for you to need them. No one should feel intimidated by perspective. I think your sketches prove it John. Keep it up!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 9:52 AM Permalink

your asked for it!
Some colour and tone on my latest sketchbook entry.

edit: image below added as response to Makk's post

JohnN2006-10-28 03:35:18

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 28/10/06 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Very impressive work! You have a wonderful eye for detail. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 11:49 AM Permalink

and a second mood study - less hardcore SF, more Sunday Morning.

I have indeed seen a few of Feng Zhu's tutorial DVDs Bumskee. Great reference for seeing a complete illustration process. His speed and accuracy is freakish though!

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/10/06 - 12:03 PM Permalink

Hey John these are looking really nice.
I would like to see a bit more lighting though, to emphesis space and depth in your image.
I did a paintover to show you what i mean-
http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeaforum/uploads/20061028_020005_Untitled-1_c…
*edit* I should have darkened the right hand end of the image as well, doh.

I reckon if you worked on your lighting you could really fly with your work :)

ps. Im envious of your perspective skills!
    Makk2006-10-28 02:04:58

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 1:49 PM Permalink

HOly Sh*t Makk, how much radiation do you have coming out of that hatch?! that can't be safe :p

Not sure if I agree with your execution, but sentiments taken on board and acted on. I have added the tweaked image with the original for easy comparison.

for anyone who is analysing the alterations: Easy changes to pick are cast light from hatch an darkening of some nearby shadows. Harder to pick, but helped greatly in create more depth - increase of colour saturation in the foreground and decrease in background and lightening the line work in the background.

this one is going in the portfolio me thinks.JohnN2006-10-28 03:50:13

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Sat, 28/10/06 - 2:42 PM Permalink

Dear John,
Hey these look great man! I think I prefer the light and colour in the Sunday morning on. Yeah, the radiation coming out of Makk's is killer! You have to be careful of this. I think it's called radiosity (may be wrong). It indicates particals in the air which light is bouncing off. A better way to indicate light in a clear atmosphere may be to show shadow. For funs sake I did a real quick paint-over too. The main thing I wanted to show was;
1. using contrast to draw the eye
2. try to indicate the light source better by fixing shadows.
Don't get me wrong, the image is great, just check where your light source is and what it's falling on. Can't wait to see more!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 30/10/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

*sigh* walks back to drawing board, starts again.

yeah, I think i know what you mean, more dramatic lighting focused on the hatch...

mood sample #3:

I think this one is working better as far as drama goes. Although now I look at it more the machine might have gotten a little too dark.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Mon, 30/10/06 - 2:14 PM Permalink

No, I don't think the machine looks too dark. The shadow looks heaps better too. I'd include all 3 in your folio to demonstrate your ability to offer alternate lighting/ texture conditions (but then again what do I know? I don't even work in the industry :P).

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 01/11/06 - 5:25 PM Permalink

And thanks to all who did feedback for the colour studies. I have included the final version in my portfolio. The others look a bit underworked in comparison so I haven't included them (yet). Might still revisit the 'Sunday Morning' version and see if I can't make it worthy too.

editx2: yesterday afternoons and this mornings effort --

JohnN2006-11-02 21:31:12

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 08/11/06 - 2:44 PM Permalink

Dear John,
Great to see you've decided to post a variety of stuff. These look great. Do you have any finished full colour stuff to show off?
Regards,
EtaCarinae
P.S. Do you work in games already?

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 08/11/06 - 3:11 PM Permalink

That chick kicks so much arse, I won't be able to sit properly for a month @:-D

Submitted by bumskee on Thu, 09/11/06 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Nice work John, I lke the fact the you didn't use too much black and planted them solidly on the ground with shadows! Of course nice designs and the chick is hawt! cheers, Min

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 10/11/06 - 6:03 AM Permalink

No new colour characters (yet) Eta. and, no, sadly I am not in the games industry

I am currently making a big push to change this though with new/better portfolio work (hence regular posts here) and actively looking and applying for jobs worldwide.
---
The Black Knight -
I might even call this one a WIP, although I don't quite know what I am going to do with it next. Thinking about making the horse into a Unicorn too.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Sat, 11/11/06 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Dear John,
Nice work mate! This guy really pops off the background and the values make it really dynamic and not all muddied up like my grey stuff tends to be. I really like how you've rendered the light but maybe you've got the guy too small. I don't know but something seems a bit screwy with the proportions of the duo. It may be that the horses leg are short too, although that just makes him look like one of those mongolian ponies Ghengis Khan was so keen on. I'm sorry, that's probably not real helpful. Great tone though.
I noticed Creative Assembly England are looking for 2D at the moment, Sussex I think. Check the webpage. Also Pandemic has a sister company somewhere in the sticks of Canada that apparently takes on a lot of newbies. Can't remember the name but maybe someone else reading this can shed some light.
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 14/11/06 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Creative Assembly and Bioware - applications sent. I'm keeping an eye on about 5 industry sites so not many jobs are escpaing my attention. I've actually noticed a distince lack of interest from overseas companies though. Most applications I send don't even result with the company visiting my online folio - pretty frustrating, I might consider a slightly different plan of attack soon.

Latest addition to my folio -created in Painter, I am starting to get comfortable with some of the default Painter brushes, there are so many! but still have to default back ot photoshop for some stuff.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 25/11/06 - 1:56 PM Permalink

New environment/vehicle painting. It was for the Daily Sketch Group over at ConceptArt.org and I decided to flesh it out to a finished painting... could probably go into the finished section but I wanted to keep things together in this thread.

Submitted by SilentK on Tue, 16/01/07 - 12:56 PM Permalink

I really like the style of the aircraft - it reminds me of ryan churches chrome/streamlined craft -keep up the good work!

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 01/02/07 - 4:20 PM Permalink

Man, I could swear that I posted this image in this thread a few days ago... If it is somewhere else on the forum let me know and i will delete the repeated post. It seems that too much work is making me lose my marbles!

so my (re?)post: I've been busy with graphics work in the new year, so busy in fact I have not done any illustration (apart from reskinning a mobile game, I guess that counts as illustrating- I might try to get permission to post some samples)so to keep things ticking over here I thought I might post an abandoned painting done late last year. It was my first attempt at modelling, then doing a paintover.

JohnN2007-02-01 05:21:30

Submitted by Doble on Thu, 01/02/07 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Very nice john, thats a clever technique :)

Love the colours too.

- Doble

Posted by Johnn on

I have been putting in some time working on quick environment visuals in the trusty sketch book recently. The aim has been to pump out a large volume 'high school english journal style'(27 piccies done so far) rather than getting hung up on details and creating masterpieces. Particular attention has been paid to process, perspective, composition and line quality.

The excercise was triggered off by a job application that required a small drawing test to a mock brief (didn't get the job, bummer).

Submitted by Neffy on Sat, 30/09/06 - 11:25 AM Permalink

Thats a shame about the job, the sketches are really nice im reading a book atm on drawing landscapes and citys that has stuff on perspective and composition. So its nice to see work similar to what im learning hopefully it will inspire me when i have some time to sit down and do sketches my self ^_^

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Tue, 10/10/06 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Dear John,
These look great, lets see some more. I like the line weight to create seperation for distance. It looks a comic book style, you done any of that?
If you are into a good venue for sketches, drop into the design studio press forum. There is a sketch group there each week. It's a bit of a ghost town but the few that post are a fun encouraging group. And it's a different topic each week to keep you on your toes.
Incidently, what do you think was the problem with the job? Drawing or adherence to brief?
Regards,
EtaCarinaeEtaCarinae2006-10-09 21:06:13

Submitted by bumskee on Tue, 10/10/06 - 6:31 AM Permalink

nice work, I think these are great.. :) pity about the job tho. cheers, Min

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 11/10/06 - 7:43 AM Permalink

thanks for the words guys :)

I hope you post some environments when you get around to practicing them Neffy. My 'time finding' technique was to draw in front of the evening telly. Maybe a time management technique that would work for you too!

Cheers for the dofus link JI. It was new to me and inspirational to browse through. Triggered off the 'birds eye view' scenes in this post.

Eta, haven't done any comic book stuff (this century at least). regarding the job - I understand the quality of my submission was fine, someone with more appropriate content in their portfolio got the gig in the end. Annoyingly the company obviously can't disclose what their up-comming project(s) are and hence can't say what content would have been more appropriate... frustrating.

...few more enviroments from my sketchbook for ya all to have a look at too.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 11/10/06 - 9:43 AM Permalink

Dear John,
Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk,the old "someone with more appropriate content in their portfolio" routine eh? I always think it would be interesting to see the work that got the job! but that of course is impossible to disclose as well.
I know these are just sketches but try paying a little closer attention to perspective. Amongst other nit-picky things the right hand roof in the middle sketch is off. It's your beautiful precise parallel line work that gives it away.
If you sketch in acurate persective, it'll be good practice for more finished work.
You prob already know this but if you don't...
To do this roof correctly, connect the diagonally opposite corners of the top facing surface of this rectangular building. Where they cross is the true center of the 'roof'. Then draw a line down from the center point to the vp your walls are going to. Follow it up and make this the apex of your roof.
Make sense? You probably already know this cause everything else looks pretty solid. I really like the top one.
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Brawsome on Wed, 11/10/06 - 5:49 PM Permalink

Nice work John. Are you a fan of point n click adventure by any chance? I reckon your backgrounds would fit well in that style of game. If you'd be interested in doing backgrounds for a point n click adventure I could certainly use your skills =0).chameleon2006-10-11 07:49:25

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 16/10/06 - 6:56 AM Permalink

...and you guessed it, some more environments from my sketchbook.

That roof is a bit of a glaring oversite on my part isn't it Eta! It is amazing(or amazingly annoying, to be more precise) how I can miss measuring up such a major element and then overlook the error before inking it all in! On the whole I think the sketches are getting technically more accurate though, so the practice is working I think.

Submitted by bumskee on Mon, 16/10/06 - 7:36 AM Permalink

Looks great.. having said that, I have no idea about perspective. have you by any chance looked at Feng Zhu dvd on perspective? I had a quick look over the weekend, and I must say it was very inspiring.. lots of infos and it was frankly a little freaky to see someone work so quick with perspective.. Might be a good resource if you haven't looked at them.

Looking good john! cheers, Min

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 16/10/06 - 7:49 AM Permalink

hey John, you know I love these :)

are you planning to do any mood studies with these? I'd love to see some colours splashed over them

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Mon, 16/10/06 - 3:48 PM Permalink

Yeah ditto to that! I'd love to see some colour or even some value.
Perspective is a funny thing. It's not really art! It's more akin to a table than to a drawing, in that it is a TOOL only. Once you learn the basic rules they just sit in the back of your brain waiting for you to need them. No one should feel intimidated by perspective. I think your sketches prove it John. Keep it up!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 9:52 AM Permalink

your asked for it!
Some colour and tone on my latest sketchbook entry.

edit: image below added as response to Makk's post

JohnN2006-10-28 03:35:18

Submitted by Tempest on Sat, 28/10/06 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Very impressive work! You have a wonderful eye for detail. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 11:49 AM Permalink

and a second mood study - less hardcore SF, more Sunday Morning.

I have indeed seen a few of Feng Zhu's tutorial DVDs Bumskee. Great reference for seeing a complete illustration process. His speed and accuracy is freakish though!

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/10/06 - 12:03 PM Permalink

Hey John these are looking really nice.
I would like to see a bit more lighting though, to emphesis space and depth in your image.
I did a paintover to show you what i mean-
http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeaforum/uploads/20061028_020005_Untitled-1_c…
*edit* I should have darkened the right hand end of the image as well, doh.

I reckon if you worked on your lighting you could really fly with your work :)

ps. Im envious of your perspective skills!
    Makk2006-10-28 02:04:58

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 28/10/06 - 1:49 PM Permalink

HOly Sh*t Makk, how much radiation do you have coming out of that hatch?! that can't be safe :p

Not sure if I agree with your execution, but sentiments taken on board and acted on. I have added the tweaked image with the original for easy comparison.

for anyone who is analysing the alterations: Easy changes to pick are cast light from hatch an darkening of some nearby shadows. Harder to pick, but helped greatly in create more depth - increase of colour saturation in the foreground and decrease in background and lightening the line work in the background.

this one is going in the portfolio me thinks.JohnN2006-10-28 03:50:13

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Sat, 28/10/06 - 2:42 PM Permalink

Dear John,
Hey these look great man! I think I prefer the light and colour in the Sunday morning on. Yeah, the radiation coming out of Makk's is killer! You have to be careful of this. I think it's called radiosity (may be wrong). It indicates particals in the air which light is bouncing off. A better way to indicate light in a clear atmosphere may be to show shadow. For funs sake I did a real quick paint-over too. The main thing I wanted to show was;
1. using contrast to draw the eye
2. try to indicate the light source better by fixing shadows.
Don't get me wrong, the image is great, just check where your light source is and what it's falling on. Can't wait to see more!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 30/10/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

*sigh* walks back to drawing board, starts again.

yeah, I think i know what you mean, more dramatic lighting focused on the hatch...

mood sample #3:

I think this one is working better as far as drama goes. Although now I look at it more the machine might have gotten a little too dark.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Mon, 30/10/06 - 2:14 PM Permalink

No, I don't think the machine looks too dark. The shadow looks heaps better too. I'd include all 3 in your folio to demonstrate your ability to offer alternate lighting/ texture conditions (but then again what do I know? I don't even work in the industry :P).

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 01/11/06 - 5:25 PM Permalink

And thanks to all who did feedback for the colour studies. I have included the final version in my portfolio. The others look a bit underworked in comparison so I haven't included them (yet). Might still revisit the 'Sunday Morning' version and see if I can't make it worthy too.

editx2: yesterday afternoons and this mornings effort --

JohnN2006-11-02 21:31:12

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 08/11/06 - 2:44 PM Permalink

Dear John,
Great to see you've decided to post a variety of stuff. These look great. Do you have any finished full colour stuff to show off?
Regards,
EtaCarinae
P.S. Do you work in games already?

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 08/11/06 - 3:11 PM Permalink

That chick kicks so much arse, I won't be able to sit properly for a month @:-D

Submitted by bumskee on Thu, 09/11/06 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Nice work John, I lke the fact the you didn't use too much black and planted them solidly on the ground with shadows! Of course nice designs and the chick is hawt! cheers, Min

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 10/11/06 - 6:03 AM Permalink

No new colour characters (yet) Eta. and, no, sadly I am not in the games industry

I am currently making a big push to change this though with new/better portfolio work (hence regular posts here) and actively looking and applying for jobs worldwide.
---
The Black Knight -
I might even call this one a WIP, although I don't quite know what I am going to do with it next. Thinking about making the horse into a Unicorn too.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Sat, 11/11/06 - 4:51 AM Permalink

Dear John,
Nice work mate! This guy really pops off the background and the values make it really dynamic and not all muddied up like my grey stuff tends to be. I really like how you've rendered the light but maybe you've got the guy too small. I don't know but something seems a bit screwy with the proportions of the duo. It may be that the horses leg are short too, although that just makes him look like one of those mongolian ponies Ghengis Khan was so keen on. I'm sorry, that's probably not real helpful. Great tone though.
I noticed Creative Assembly England are looking for 2D at the moment, Sussex I think. Check the webpage. Also Pandemic has a sister company somewhere in the sticks of Canada that apparently takes on a lot of newbies. Can't remember the name but maybe someone else reading this can shed some light.
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 14/11/06 - 1:04 PM Permalink

Creative Assembly and Bioware - applications sent. I'm keeping an eye on about 5 industry sites so not many jobs are escpaing my attention. I've actually noticed a distince lack of interest from overseas companies though. Most applications I send don't even result with the company visiting my online folio - pretty frustrating, I might consider a slightly different plan of attack soon.

Latest addition to my folio -created in Painter, I am starting to get comfortable with some of the default Painter brushes, there are so many! but still have to default back ot photoshop for some stuff.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 25/11/06 - 1:56 PM Permalink

New environment/vehicle painting. It was for the Daily Sketch Group over at ConceptArt.org and I decided to flesh it out to a finished painting... could probably go into the finished section but I wanted to keep things together in this thread.

Submitted by SilentK on Tue, 16/01/07 - 12:56 PM Permalink

I really like the style of the aircraft - it reminds me of ryan churches chrome/streamlined craft -keep up the good work!

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 01/02/07 - 4:20 PM Permalink

Man, I could swear that I posted this image in this thread a few days ago... If it is somewhere else on the forum let me know and i will delete the repeated post. It seems that too much work is making me lose my marbles!

so my (re?)post: I've been busy with graphics work in the new year, so busy in fact I have not done any illustration (apart from reskinning a mobile game, I guess that counts as illustrating- I might try to get permission to post some samples)so to keep things ticking over here I thought I might post an abandoned painting done late last year. It was my first attempt at modelling, then doing a paintover.

JohnN2007-02-01 05:21:30

Submitted by Doble on Thu, 01/02/07 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Very nice john, thats a clever technique :)

Love the colours too.

- Doble