Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- goodgod - Challenger #6

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~alma_asher/mainpic.gif[/img]
This is a fish like bug. It�s part of the final project for this comp. Do you like?

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 30/07/03 - 2:25 AM Permalink

Like the idea pants, not a fan of the head.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 30/07/03 - 5:34 AM Permalink

His pick axe weapon suits the type of character you chose... very nice! I like your inking, is it traditional or CG'd?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:41 AM Permalink

theres a cool ninja turtly type theme on him i think.. i like

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 30/07/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

Damn dude u work fast u dont waste anytime dun chu ??? hheehe[:D] nice work as usual very easy to model too............[8D]

Its my master Sorceror BOB [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 30/07/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Nice stuff pants, like the one eye.
Good to see someone realises it doesn't have to be western demonic. [:)]
Wouldn't say its 'easy' to model either.
Now I gotta post that concept I've been hanging on too. [:P]

Submitted by Shaetano on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:08 PM Permalink

looks pretty sweet, and I agree with Iron, the pick turned out well, fits good.

Not sure if its his nose or his eye, cos I can see in the shadowed area two small circles, but the one eye look would fit well too :) heh.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

Wow, large and fast responce, cool.

Doord: Thanks I think the head is one of those things that will just look better in chunky 3d, but I could be wrong, in which case I'll chop it off and replace it (Ive got 2 spare heads concepted for him)

smeg: Thanks

ironkart: Thanks I was mucking around with a few heavy set weapon designs, spiked club kind o things then I added the blade and thought...Pick, that should work. The medium is traditional Ink pot and a brush, the greys from pantone markers but the shadow is photoshop (I ran out of room on my paper)

Sorceror Bob: Thanks, yeah, Its the sharp, angular, cunkyness off him it think. I wanted to go this way because I draw a lot of thin women so I wanted to do something I dont do a lot of.

Ninja: Heh, I have a lot of free time and I draw alot so competition just gives me direction. Some of it should be easy to model, some other bits may be more interesting and with a hide that chunky and his extras, polycount could become an issue. We will see how it goes. Thanks.

Malus: Thanks, The non western aspect came out by chance rather then design. The Demon I wanted as this hulking stone thing that could still move quite well (fast) and I was tooling with the concept when I put the hat on him and I thought cool, it has stayed since (the huge time period of 2 days, seems longer because I have been thnking about him a lot).

Shaetano: Thanks, oh and yeah its his one eye rather then a bulbous nose. [:I]

Thanks for the feedback guys
Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 30/07/03 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Quite cool. I like the irony of a stone demon having a pick axe. Was that intentional? Style wise, it kind of looks like a cross between Blizzard and Feng Zhu.

Nice shape, should be good to model with box modelling. I think you could do a little bit more with the face -- maybe make it a little more Chinese Mythological (Xianjo is a Chinese name, if I'm not mistaken?)or change the shape slightly. Would it be worth putting Chinese Calligraphy on there?

Good start, now I gotta finalise my design.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Thanks, I wish it was intentional at the start, but it just developed that way, after it was done and I looked back at it I though, cool thats a funky idea, Im smart without thinking about it :P.

Style wise, I would be lying if I didn't say that I was inspired by their styles, I would also be lying if I didn't say I was flattered that you could pick that up.

The head, prob will undergo some change, to a large extent I stuffed some of the shading on the head which made it look more rounded and 'tubby' then it should be.

"Xianjo is a Chinese name, if I'm not mistaken?"

It may very well be, I just took Xian and added a few letters, as is my wont when making names. But yes I wanted him to be a Chinese Demon, so a few more Chinese 'isms may show up yet.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 02/08/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea4wip1.jpg[/img]

WIP part one, the rough. Not optimised yet and a few changes need to be done and some fine detail needs to be added. About 3600 poly but this will come down by a few hundred yet, then I will use the extras for... extras.
Prob all I will do this weekend as my dance card is full.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 02/08/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

coming along well pants [:D] i like the weapon hes got [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 03/08/03 - 6:26 PM Permalink

Thanks, Still go a good chunk of clean up to go. The weapon being the only optimised bit at just over 100 poly

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:20 PM Permalink

The torso looks a little long, but that maybe because of the armour. Is that render in user view because the perspective looks a lot off.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 04/08/03 - 8:00 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

The torso looks a little long, but that maybe because of the armour. Is that render in user view because the perspective looks a lot off.

The armour makes it look long, the proportions are basicly human. The render is in perspective, not user view.

Pantmogner

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 04/08/03 - 8:12 PM Permalink

Doord: I think its just the extended shoulder pads that do that.

Hes looking good Pants, you'll have him finished in a week, what will you do for the other 3? lol.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:19 PM Permalink

Nice pants.
Slow down, you're intimidating everyone =D

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Looking awesome pantmonger! I can't wait to see textures on this guy. I'm envisioning lots of cracks and moss... [:D]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 05/08/03 - 3:42 AM Permalink

Thanks guys,

Malus, Yeah he should be done in the next few days, I was thinking that I may try doing another overlord (a cute one) after this one is done.

smeg, Thanks, I don't mean to put anyone off (I dont know that I would), its just the way I work, I like to get things done and out of the way, Im not great at the lets spread this thing out over 2 months kind of thing. For the most part I think I take as much time as most people, they just do closer to the deadline.

ironikart: Thanks, yeah cracks, powder stone. As for the moss, I hadn't thought of it but know that you have mentioned it I can't get it out of my head, I hope you dont mind if I use that idea.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 05/08/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Yes damn you, I admit it, I'm the guy who waits till 18 hours before the deadline to start modelling.[:P] lol.
The way your going Pants you'll have 1 entry a week lol.
Keep it up man,

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

That's a nice tight UV map you've got there! That close up of his face makes him look like he's happy to be a demon, great toothy grin! I also like the bits you've hung of his hat.

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 06/08/03 - 3:26 AM Permalink

Very nice work pantmonger. I like the oriental infulence, it kind of reminds me of the stone demon from ninjascroll. THe pickaxe is an unusual weapon and a nice touch.

I think the area below the waist needs more attention. His thights seem a funny shape and dont seem to attatch to the waist correctly.

Nice work otherwise.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Finished the Stone Lord, I dont think that this will be my entry into the comp (Hence the lack of "as per the rules" images) Bat ull in all I think that it worked out quite well, I just want to try something else for the comp.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_t.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_m.jpg[/img]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 09/08/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

And first to the finish line is Pantmonger.
Not your entry hey, well you've got more than enough time to do another 1 or 8. [:P]

Didn't notice the hat was flat underneath before, not fond of that bit.
Turned out pretty cool though in the end, especially like the shoulder pads.

When do we see the new concept?

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 09/08/03 - 5:21 AM Permalink

lol man dude i havent even put a pencil mark on my drawing pad and u have finished ??? damn man u can create 12 more if u want hehe......

nice job [:D] so when is the next one ? and the next one ? heehhehe..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 09/08/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Malus, Yeah Its not my final entry because I think the mesh is messy and the idea just aint that original, (ie its still a basic biped) I do like the texture If I do say so myself, think I go a lot in there for the 512 limit.

The hat thing sucks, it was one of those bit I thought would work out, or just wouldn't matter, I didn't think to would look as bad as it does *sigh* .

I do like the double sholder pads.

Ninja: Thanks, Yeah takes me about a week to do one when Ive got a bunch of other commitments, take a couple of days If Ive got nothing to really do. For the most part I find its just a matter of sitting my arse down and not being distracted.

Expect concept 2, sometime...

Pantmonger

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 1:21 AM Permalink

Nice work Pants... and extremely fast too! The quality of the model is pretty damn impressive considering the timeframe of conception to finished product!

Judging by this effort, the next model is going to be pretty sweet, considering you will have more than triple the time to work on it!!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 15/08/03 - 3:09 AM Permalink

I like the old concept more personally, I think you would be better off put more time into it then moveing on to and other demon. Not to say that your new one isn't that cool.

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~alma_asher/mainpic.gif[/img]
This is a fish like bug. It�s part of the final project for this comp. Do you like?

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 30/07/03 - 2:25 AM Permalink

Like the idea pants, not a fan of the head.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 30/07/03 - 5:34 AM Permalink

His pick axe weapon suits the type of character you chose... very nice! I like your inking, is it traditional or CG'd?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:41 AM Permalink

theres a cool ninja turtly type theme on him i think.. i like

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 30/07/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

Damn dude u work fast u dont waste anytime dun chu ??? hheehe[:D] nice work as usual very easy to model too............[8D]

Its my master Sorceror BOB [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 30/07/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Nice stuff pants, like the one eye.
Good to see someone realises it doesn't have to be western demonic. [:)]
Wouldn't say its 'easy' to model either.
Now I gotta post that concept I've been hanging on too. [:P]

Submitted by Shaetano on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:08 PM Permalink

looks pretty sweet, and I agree with Iron, the pick turned out well, fits good.

Not sure if its his nose or his eye, cos I can see in the shadowed area two small circles, but the one eye look would fit well too :) heh.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 30/07/03 - 6:46 PM Permalink

Wow, large and fast responce, cool.

Doord: Thanks I think the head is one of those things that will just look better in chunky 3d, but I could be wrong, in which case I'll chop it off and replace it (Ive got 2 spare heads concepted for him)

smeg: Thanks

ironkart: Thanks I was mucking around with a few heavy set weapon designs, spiked club kind o things then I added the blade and thought...Pick, that should work. The medium is traditional Ink pot and a brush, the greys from pantone markers but the shadow is photoshop (I ran out of room on my paper)

Sorceror Bob: Thanks, yeah, Its the sharp, angular, cunkyness off him it think. I wanted to go this way because I draw a lot of thin women so I wanted to do something I dont do a lot of.

Ninja: Heh, I have a lot of free time and I draw alot so competition just gives me direction. Some of it should be easy to model, some other bits may be more interesting and with a hide that chunky and his extras, polycount could become an issue. We will see how it goes. Thanks.

Malus: Thanks, The non western aspect came out by chance rather then design. The Demon I wanted as this hulking stone thing that could still move quite well (fast) and I was tooling with the concept when I put the hat on him and I thought cool, it has stayed since (the huge time period of 2 days, seems longer because I have been thnking about him a lot).

Shaetano: Thanks, oh and yeah its his one eye rather then a bulbous nose. [:I]

Thanks for the feedback guys
Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 30/07/03 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Quite cool. I like the irony of a stone demon having a pick axe. Was that intentional? Style wise, it kind of looks like a cross between Blizzard and Feng Zhu.

Nice shape, should be good to model with box modelling. I think you could do a little bit more with the face -- maybe make it a little more Chinese Mythological (Xianjo is a Chinese name, if I'm not mistaken?)or change the shape slightly. Would it be worth putting Chinese Calligraphy on there?

Good start, now I gotta finalise my design.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Thanks, I wish it was intentional at the start, but it just developed that way, after it was done and I looked back at it I though, cool thats a funky idea, Im smart without thinking about it :P.

Style wise, I would be lying if I didn't say that I was inspired by their styles, I would also be lying if I didn't say I was flattered that you could pick that up.

The head, prob will undergo some change, to a large extent I stuffed some of the shading on the head which made it look more rounded and 'tubby' then it should be.

"Xianjo is a Chinese name, if I'm not mistaken?"

It may very well be, I just took Xian and added a few letters, as is my wont when making names. But yes I wanted him to be a Chinese Demon, so a few more Chinese 'isms may show up yet.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 02/08/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/MTemp/sumea4wip1.jpg[/img]

WIP part one, the rough. Not optimised yet and a few changes need to be done and some fine detail needs to be added. About 3600 poly but this will come down by a few hundred yet, then I will use the extras for... extras.
Prob all I will do this weekend as my dance card is full.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 02/08/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

coming along well pants [:D] i like the weapon hes got [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 03/08/03 - 6:26 PM Permalink

Thanks, Still go a good chunk of clean up to go. The weapon being the only optimised bit at just over 100 poly

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 04/08/03 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 04/08/03 - 8:00 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

The armour makes it look long, the proportions are basicly human. The render is in perspective, not user view.

Pantmogner

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 04/08/03 - 8:12 PM Permalink

Doord: I think its just the extended shoulder pads that do that.

Hes looking good Pants, you'll have him finished in a week, what will you do for the other 3? lol.

Submitted by smeg on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:19 PM Permalink

Nice pants.
Slow down, you're intimidating everyone =D

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 04/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Looking awesome pantmonger! I can't wait to see textures on this guy. I'm envisioning lots of cracks and moss... [:D]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 05/08/03 - 3:42 AM Permalink

Thanks guys,

Malus, Yeah he should be done in the next few days, I was thinking that I may try doing another overlord (a cute one) after this one is done.

smeg, Thanks, I don't mean to put anyone off (I dont know that I would), its just the way I work, I like to get things done and out of the way, Im not great at the lets spread this thing out over 2 months kind of thing. For the most part I think I take as much time as most people, they just do closer to the deadline.

ironikart: Thanks, yeah cracks, powder stone. As for the moss, I hadn't thought of it but know that you have mentioned it I can't get it out of my head, I hope you dont mind if I use that idea.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 05/08/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Yes damn you, I admit it, I'm the guy who waits till 18 hours before the deadline to start modelling.[:P] lol.
The way your going Pants you'll have 1 entry a week lol.
Keep it up man,

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:10 AM Permalink

That's a nice tight UV map you've got there! That close up of his face makes him look like he's happy to be a demon, great toothy grin! I also like the bits you've hung of his hat.

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 06/08/03 - 3:26 AM Permalink

Very nice work pantmonger. I like the oriental infulence, it kind of reminds me of the stone demon from ninjascroll. THe pickaxe is an unusual weapon and a nice touch.

I think the area below the waist needs more attention. His thights seem a funny shape and dont seem to attatch to the waist correctly.

Nice work otherwise.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 08/08/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Finished the Stone Lord, I dont think that this will be my entry into the comp (Hence the lack of "as per the rules" images) Bat ull in all I think that it worked out quite well, I just want to try something else for the comp.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_t.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/evilbunny/jagged/3d/3d16stonedemon_m.jpg[/img]

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 09/08/03 - 3:13 AM Permalink

And first to the finish line is Pantmonger.
Not your entry hey, well you've got more than enough time to do another 1 or 8. [:P]

Didn't notice the hat was flat underneath before, not fond of that bit.
Turned out pretty cool though in the end, especially like the shoulder pads.

When do we see the new concept?

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 09/08/03 - 5:21 AM Permalink

lol man dude i havent even put a pencil mark on my drawing pad and u have finished ??? damn man u can create 12 more if u want hehe......

nice job [:D] so when is the next one ? and the next one ? heehhehe..

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 09/08/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Malus, Yeah Its not my final entry because I think the mesh is messy and the idea just aint that original, (ie its still a basic biped) I do like the texture If I do say so myself, think I go a lot in there for the 512 limit.

The hat thing sucks, it was one of those bit I thought would work out, or just wouldn't matter, I didn't think to would look as bad as it does *sigh* .

I do like the double sholder pads.

Ninja: Thanks, Yeah takes me about a week to do one when Ive got a bunch of other commitments, take a couple of days If Ive got nothing to really do. For the most part I find its just a matter of sitting my arse down and not being distracted.

Expect concept 2, sometime...

Pantmonger

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 1:21 AM Permalink

Nice work Pants... and extremely fast too! The quality of the model is pretty damn impressive considering the timeframe of conception to finished product!

Judging by this effort, the next model is going to be pretty sweet, considering you will have more than triple the time to work on it!!

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 15/08/03 - 3:09 AM Permalink

I like the old concept more personally, I think you would be better off put more time into it then moveing on to and other demon. Not to say that your new one isn't that cool.