Skip to main content

GAME MODELLING GUIDLINES

Submitted by tomcat on

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in attempting the Modeller challenge this time around. I'm know my 3D generally well but don't have an idea of the limitations and guidlines that I should look out for when attempting to model for games.

Can anyone help in this matter? can anyone redirect me to information on this issue.

It would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 30/05/03 - 6:18 PM Permalink

Essentially you just need to hit the poly count in Tris not Quads, make the mesh "clean" and efficient and able to deform well in all the places it needs to deform ie. Knees, shoulders and elbows.

Other than that as far as i know theres nothing special you need to do to create a "game model".

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

not that I'm speaking from much experience, but good texture can really make the model. More detailing in the texture map sort of fools the eye into thinking there is more detail on the model itself.

Submitted by tomcat on Sun, 01/06/03 - 2:24 PM Permalink

Ok thanks.

just a few more questions though,

1. is it true that in game modeling u must only use planar polygons?
2. can u use bump maps, do game engines render such data?
3. what is a rexture?

cheers guys.

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 02/06/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

1. Probably
2. Depends on the engine. Read up on the specs of the engine you choose to use and be enlightened @:-)
3. A spelling mistake. @:-D

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

1: Aren't polygons planer anyway, seeing that they are 3 sided?
2: like brain said, dependas on the engine.
3: rexture hey, never heard of it. I'm guessing you mean texture.

Posted by tomcat on

Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in attempting the Modeller challenge this time around. I'm know my 3D generally well but don't have an idea of the limitations and guidlines that I should look out for when attempting to model for games.

Can anyone help in this matter? can anyone redirect me to information on this issue.

It would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Submitted by Dan Ward on Fri, 30/05/03 - 6:18 PM Permalink

Essentially you just need to hit the poly count in Tris not Quads, make the mesh "clean" and efficient and able to deform well in all the places it needs to deform ie. Knees, shoulders and elbows.

Other than that as far as i know theres nothing special you need to do to create a "game model".

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:48 PM Permalink

not that I'm speaking from much experience, but good texture can really make the model. More detailing in the texture map sort of fools the eye into thinking there is more detail on the model itself.

Submitted by tomcat on Sun, 01/06/03 - 2:24 PM Permalink

Ok thanks.

just a few more questions though,

1. is it true that in game modeling u must only use planar polygons?
2. can u use bump maps, do game engines render such data?
3. what is a rexture?

cheers guys.

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 02/06/03 - 2:26 AM Permalink

1. Probably
2. Depends on the engine. Read up on the specs of the engine you choose to use and be enlightened @:-)
3. A spelling mistake. @:-D

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 04/06/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

1: Aren't polygons planer anyway, seeing that they are 3 sided?
2: like brain said, dependas on the engine.
3: rexture hey, never heard of it. I'm guessing you mean texture.