Skip to main content

LINKING IRIX BETWEEN WIN??

Submitted by bouncy roo on
Forum

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2ndhand SGI Octane I want to fileshare between my Pc and the Irix system, So far i've managed to get it on the network for the internet but not filesharing, I can access it via the internet but I want to be able to throw files between the pc and sgi.My brother is in IT and he has had troubles getting it to share, I know it can be done because the previous owners had a setup like it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i could get them to fileshare?

Souri, as u can probably guess i've made the switch from max to maya and i'm finding it's brilliant for faster more effecient modelling(for my style of doing things anyway). Although Max will stay on my pc for when maya gets under my skin.

If anyone knows about networking the two(IRIX6.5 an WIN2000) please reply. All i can say is thankgod for ebay... got the comp for cheap as chips, guess thats why no manuals.

Kind regards,
Kirsten Shannon
gi83si@yahoo.com

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 29/11/03 - 6:00 PM Permalink

Nice purchase Bouncy. I actually hae a question about your Octane. Is the speed difference for general working that much different? I was looking at trying to find a second hand one a while ago, but then I read articles saying that P4 and equivilent speed systems can give all the SGIs a run for their money. I would just be interested to know how differently Maya runs on the two machines (and what your normal PC is).

If you love Maya's modelling tools (I do as well), then take a look here.

http://www.byronimo.de/mainpage.htm

Cost me about AUS$85, but it has been worth every cent so far.

Enjoy your SGI.... you bastard :)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 02/12/03 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Couldn't tell you the differnces woulf have to get someone who had a better pc then mine text it *grin*, network remarketing has second hand sgis it cost a bit but not as much as what they usually do.. the usual cost for octane is more then 38000 and i got it for under 3000 with moniter etc incl. pretty sweet deal far as i am concerned i'm glad i got it. it's not as evil as my pc. runs nicely in my opinion although typing in the console to install stuff is a bit evil :P

thanks i'll check samba out and hope all goes well

Posted by bouncy roo on
Forum

Hey all, I recently purchased a 2ndhand SGI Octane I want to fileshare between my Pc and the Irix system, So far i've managed to get it on the network for the internet but not filesharing, I can access it via the internet but I want to be able to throw files between the pc and sgi.My brother is in IT and he has had troubles getting it to share, I know it can be done because the previous owners had a setup like it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i could get them to fileshare?

Souri, as u can probably guess i've made the switch from max to maya and i'm finding it's brilliant for faster more effecient modelling(for my style of doing things anyway). Although Max will stay on my pc for when maya gets under my skin.

If anyone knows about networking the two(IRIX6.5 an WIN2000) please reply. All i can say is thankgod for ebay... got the comp for cheap as chips, guess thats why no manuals.

Kind regards,
Kirsten Shannon
gi83si@yahoo.com

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 29/11/03 - 6:00 PM Permalink

Nice purchase Bouncy. I actually hae a question about your Octane. Is the speed difference for general working that much different? I was looking at trying to find a second hand one a while ago, but then I read articles saying that P4 and equivilent speed systems can give all the SGIs a run for their money. I would just be interested to know how differently Maya runs on the two machines (and what your normal PC is).

If you love Maya's modelling tools (I do as well), then take a look here.

http://www.byronimo.de/mainpage.htm

Cost me about AUS$85, but it has been worth every cent so far.

Enjoy your SGI.... you bastard :)

Submitted by bouncy roo on Tue, 02/12/03 - 7:09 AM Permalink

Couldn't tell you the differnces woulf have to get someone who had a better pc then mine text it *grin*, network remarketing has second hand sgis it cost a bit but not as much as what they usually do.. the usual cost for octane is more then 38000 and i got it for under 3000 with moniter etc incl. pretty sweet deal far as i am concerned i'm glad i got it. it's not as evil as my pc. runs nicely in my opinion although typing in the console to install stuff is a bit evil :P

thanks i'll check samba out and hope all goes well