Skip to main content

Angry Man

Submitted by Falco on

I started this painting just after getting my new Wacom tablet. I'm trying to teach myself how to paint skin textures so Im going to use alot of reference art to see what human skin looks like and how to paint it.

This is the first human face that I have painted in colour. I think it looks alright, painting the hair was the hardest part. I think If I keep on practicing like this I should build up my skills for texturing and more 2D work.

Any comments/crits would be real helpful.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Angry_FaceL.jpg[/img]
ps: Sorry it's a bit big, didn't think it would do that. Please feel free to Save Target As... to have a less closer look at it.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 30/04/05 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Thats a really good piece, the only thing that sticks out to me immediately is the lack of any wetness to his eyeballs.

Submitted by Falco on Sat, 30/04/05 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Maybe thats what he's angry about, he's got awfuly dry eye's.

Thanks for the tip. In the photo his eye's are a little more closed and the detail in the pic didn't realy show the wetness that should be there. I just didn't think about it.

That's the kind of stuff I need to be learnin, so hopefuly after I have done more of these practise paintings I'll get the hang of it.

Submitted by Aloriael on Sat, 30/04/05 - 8:46 AM Permalink

One of the most impressive portraits on Sumea.

You could be more careful about the saturation of your shadows next time. They look a bit too grey and some parts of the image looks like you desaturated it completely.

Also it looks like you like to get right into the details really quickly. Maybe next time you should also try and plan out where the features are really suppose to be before you go nuts over the details....because some of the features look a bit symbolic.... maybe mirror your image and have a look at it.
The hair looks quite symbolic and flat because you did them strand by strand, try not to do that. Hair is made up of highlights, midtones and shadows.... painting it by the strand means that person has string as hair which is too thick to pass off as hair....also it looks like fur because it's too dense in some places.

I think the best thing to do is to actually study how things work....do a few self portraits because you will learn a lot more than copying a ref photo. It's good because then you'll realise eyeballs don't have a matte texture and so on.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226083 <--- might help.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 30/04/05 - 9:55 PM Permalink

cool .

I agree with aloriael especially with the hair.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/05/05 - 11:25 PM Permalink

an amazing pic, reminds me of was it dr breen from HL2

Posted by Falco on

I started this painting just after getting my new Wacom tablet. I'm trying to teach myself how to paint skin textures so Im going to use alot of reference art to see what human skin looks like and how to paint it.

This is the first human face that I have painted in colour. I think it looks alright, painting the hair was the hardest part. I think If I keep on practicing like this I should build up my skills for texturing and more 2D work.

Any comments/crits would be real helpful.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Angry_FaceL.jpg[/img]
ps: Sorry it's a bit big, didn't think it would do that. Please feel free to Save Target As... to have a less closer look at it.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 30/04/05 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Thats a really good piece, the only thing that sticks out to me immediately is the lack of any wetness to his eyeballs.

Submitted by Falco on Sat, 30/04/05 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Maybe thats what he's angry about, he's got awfuly dry eye's.

Thanks for the tip. In the photo his eye's are a little more closed and the detail in the pic didn't realy show the wetness that should be there. I just didn't think about it.

That's the kind of stuff I need to be learnin, so hopefuly after I have done more of these practise paintings I'll get the hang of it.

Submitted by Aloriael on Sat, 30/04/05 - 8:46 AM Permalink

One of the most impressive portraits on Sumea.

You could be more careful about the saturation of your shadows next time. They look a bit too grey and some parts of the image looks like you desaturated it completely.

Also it looks like you like to get right into the details really quickly. Maybe next time you should also try and plan out where the features are really suppose to be before you go nuts over the details....because some of the features look a bit symbolic.... maybe mirror your image and have a look at it.
The hair looks quite symbolic and flat because you did them strand by strand, try not to do that. Hair is made up of highlights, midtones and shadows.... painting it by the strand means that person has string as hair which is too thick to pass off as hair....also it looks like fur because it's too dense in some places.

I think the best thing to do is to actually study how things work....do a few self portraits because you will learn a lot more than copying a ref photo. It's good because then you'll realise eyeballs don't have a matte texture and so on.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226083 <--- might help.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 30/04/05 - 9:55 PM Permalink

cool .

I agree with aloriael especially with the hair.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 01/05/05 - 11:25 PM Permalink

an amazing pic, reminds me of was it dr breen from HL2