Skip to main content

2d Studies

Submitted by bboyc3p0 on
Forum

I'm just curious if anyone can recommend any books that are designed for artists interested in anatomical studies. obviously its a hard topic to cover in depth, skin, muscle, skeletal structures and how they all interact. So i imagine if such a book exists it will be quite well known???

hmm i feel so much like a noobie atm but i hate getting all my info from the net so any help would be most appreciated.

Pete

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 29/09/05 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Burne Hogarths 'dynamic' books are quite handy. They don't really cover skin so much though.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 02/10/05 - 7:08 PM Permalink

yup, both of the above suggestions I highly agree with recommending. Here's a few others:
- Art of Drawing the Human Body (Sterling)
- Anatomy for the Artist, the Dynamics of the Human Form (Capella)

The first one is more on technique and method, focusing on proportions and base rules to apply. The second is study after study of anatomical referance, built up from the myological layers and finally analysing sculptures and paintings from the old masters.

What I recommend is if you're serious about learning, then focus on learning by itself. Don't draw characters, draw studies. Instead of sitting down and trying to draw 1 finished piece, just take that same amount of time to draw 50 hands from referance, effectively learning the shapes and formations. The second book I recommended, if you're able to get it, or something like it, I recommend going through page after page and copying each and every drawing twice. By the time you're through that, you should've taught your brain the fundamental shapes and interactions between form enough so that it becomes second nature.

Submitted by bboyc3p0 on Mon, 03/10/05 - 9:39 AM Permalink

thanks heaps for the info.

ill be hitting the library tomorrow and hopefully i can get started.

Oh for reference as well i had a look round on the web for the Anatomy of the Artist... i found a book By Tom Flint with capella as the publisher or editor i think... so just for interests sake i thought i'd let u know it was available on there... (or appeared to be at least) quite cheap i might add aswell :D

thanks again
Pete

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/10/05 - 12:30 AM Permalink

Hey, post your images in the exhibition section of the forum, or even your Sumea profile if you have one. I'd love to see your progress.

Posted by bboyc3p0 on
Forum

I'm just curious if anyone can recommend any books that are designed for artists interested in anatomical studies. obviously its a hard topic to cover in depth, skin, muscle, skeletal structures and how they all interact. So i imagine if such a book exists it will be quite well known???

hmm i feel so much like a noobie atm but i hate getting all my info from the net so any help would be most appreciated.

Pete

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 29/09/05 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Burne Hogarths 'dynamic' books are quite handy. They don't really cover skin so much though.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 02/10/05 - 7:08 PM Permalink

yup, both of the above suggestions I highly agree with recommending. Here's a few others:
- Art of Drawing the Human Body (Sterling)
- Anatomy for the Artist, the Dynamics of the Human Form (Capella)

The first one is more on technique and method, focusing on proportions and base rules to apply. The second is study after study of anatomical referance, built up from the myological layers and finally analysing sculptures and paintings from the old masters.

What I recommend is if you're serious about learning, then focus on learning by itself. Don't draw characters, draw studies. Instead of sitting down and trying to draw 1 finished piece, just take that same amount of time to draw 50 hands from referance, effectively learning the shapes and formations. The second book I recommended, if you're able to get it, or something like it, I recommend going through page after page and copying each and every drawing twice. By the time you're through that, you should've taught your brain the fundamental shapes and interactions between form enough so that it becomes second nature.

Submitted by bboyc3p0 on Mon, 03/10/05 - 9:39 AM Permalink

thanks heaps for the info.

ill be hitting the library tomorrow and hopefully i can get started.

Oh for reference as well i had a look round on the web for the Anatomy of the Artist... i found a book By Tom Flint with capella as the publisher or editor i think... so just for interests sake i thought i'd let u know it was available on there... (or appeared to be at least) quite cheap i might add aswell :D

thanks again
Pete

Submitted by souri on Tue, 04/10/05 - 12:30 AM Permalink

Hey, post your images in the exhibition section of the forum, or even your Sumea profile if you have one. I'd love to see your progress.