Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'Malus'

Submitted by Malus on

Just getting a seat for the show. [:)]

Concept will be up soon.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Ok this isn't my final concept just something to show where I'm heading.
It was my original sketch but its too generic demon-ish, its now female and more menacing.

I'm going to do this guy High poly though cause I like his soul filled belly. [}:)]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/sumea4demon01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:12 AM Permalink

hell yeah, he's great! [:)] I particularly like his spine staff. I look forward to seeing him high poly when you get the time [;)]

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:16 AM Permalink

[:O] fwoooaaaaar that is one bad arse demon would love to see the textures on him lotsa dead skin and muck hehehe NICE !!!

very nice work Dean your gonna have a hell of a fun time modelling and texturing him.....[:D]

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

"Hello! I'm Diablo's cousin and I'm currently looking for the contents of my chest and my entrails... has anyone seen them?"
Seriously evil stuff there... great evil, no idea how you're going to model that though

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Cool stuff, you are going to have some mighty texture work ahead of you, but should look funky as hell. I love the hips, so boney.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:09 PM Permalink

When will you show the female concept? I like the way the chest 'opens' - will that be an animated thingee after the challenge?

The 'soul stomach' is easily the best defining point.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Ironkart: yeah hopefully have time to do him high poly.

Ninja: Thwaorr-anks man. [:P]

Kezza: he'd massacre Diablo, check out his hieght based on that pip-squeek lol. Wait until you see the other one, alot harder to model, its got 4 legs and 2 arms.!!

Pants: Cheers! yes boney, boney is good.

Jon: Still working on it, have alot to do so haven't really touched it since I started it yesterday.
Maybe after the weekend as its my 28th b'day today, yippee!! and I have things to do, alcohol to drink etc.
yeah I like the stomach too, both of us have a thing for our models feeding don't we, must be in the genes...sick, sick puppies.

BTW: thats not the concept I'm using for the model just my first idea, you know how much I like to pimp lol.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

quote: Wait until you see the other one, alot harder to model, its got 4 legs and 2 arms.!!

Gah - I'm working on an alternative concept and it's the same, only reversed -- 2 legs and four arms. Scrap that one, I guess.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

Cheers ironkart, you big sweety lol.

Jon: nah man keep it. It'll be totally different.
Btw, your concept rocks man, love the shading work, I never got the hang of 2b pencils Im a 2h clutch pencil man myself.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 02/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

Happy bufday DUDE !!!! its me birthday too this wednesday haahaha LEOS RULE !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 02/08/03 - 12:05 AM Permalink

Thanks man. We will rule yes, when I organise a bigger army, demonic lions with wings are hard to maintain and the smell...the smell!!

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 05/08/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

very disturbing malus?? i love it:)
disgustingly brilliant

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 05/08/03 - 5:52 AM Permalink

Sweet... top work.. one to freak out the kiddies....

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 05/08/03 - 6:02 AM Permalink

HOLY COW !!! dats some crazy shit Dean hehehehe !!! i like it [:)] model him...... model him NOW !!!!! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Nah his is heaps better lol.
It is pretty similar though hey?! f#*k!

I've never seen that before, oh well evil minds think alike.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

yeah

thats one of the problems of coming up with something original..

with 6 billion people on this planet.. its pretty hard to do :P

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 05/08/03 - 6:00 PM Permalink

Wow, that is freaky. Wouldn't like to see her holding that baby!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:17 PM Permalink

That's a much better concept, not the other was bad but this one has it's own flavour.

I like how you've incorporated the pregnancy into the underbelly. Doord and I talked about doing a pregnant demon and I was having a lot of trouble trying to get it to look 'right'. Your interpretation is much better.

I think you've taken all the cool aspects of the last design and interpreted it in a much better way. (eg - the staff is now the tail).

The tail looks like it'll chew up a lot of polys, how will you do it? Alpha map?

If I have any criticism, it's that you've chosen to do the demon 'red' in colour. It's the 'classic demon colour' although, it does really suit this design.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

I like how you've incorporated the pregnancy into the underbelly. Doord and I talked about doing a pregnant demon and I was having a lot of trouble trying to get it to look 'right'. Your interpretation is much better.

Jono was having trouble, I hadn't gave is a try but was thinking very different to the way you have done it very cool concept, nice to see some more realistic not so cartoon looking stuff from you Malus.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:33 AM Permalink

But i do think the lowwer arms could be changed they don't look to be very useful, if you like the idea of the lowwer arm I do thimk you should make them bigger so they look like they have more weigh in them.

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 06/08/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

Thats one nasty pregnant demon bitch. Very sick and evil, I like it.
Only crit would be that the face doen't look very feminine, but then maybe it's a hemaphrodite??

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 5:26 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm taking saying Im sick as a compliment hehe.

Jon: not to sure on the tail yet, maybe alpha the ridges.
The texture is 'hopefully' going to be skin and muscle tissue not actually red like generic demon stuff. More emaciated, decaying, torn flesh maybe with really sore looking bits. [:P]

Doord: Didn't think most of my stuff was cartoonish, oh well. [:)]
The lower arms are actually exactly what I wanted, don't need to be useful as her only job is to breed, feed and kill, she has minions with hands to do the other stuff.
They are also meant to be stabbing weapons not cleaving so weights not important.

Ionized: Thanks man, sick is what I was after, lol. I also didn't want her to look to feminine, shes a nasty lady after all, I was going to sew her lips shut but that implied alot of negative things so I went with lots of teeth.
Shes not a hemaphrodite though, shes a whole lot-a women lol.

Its a bit of a challenge with the polycount but alot of fun to do.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

The lower arms are actually exactly what I wanted, don't need to be useful as her only job is to breed, feed and kill, she has minions with hands to do the other stuff.
They are also meant to be stabbing weapons not cleaving so weights not important.

Cartoonish remark was from what i have seen from you of late on Sumea. I have never been a big fan of them type of arms, they always little to be to small for the upper arm, and in this case with the longer legs I do think they could be a little different (in size.) But I reasly love this character. Good work.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:03 AM Permalink

That's looking excellent. Love the proportions.

You use Maya, right? Do you box or spline model?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

Cheers man.
I use Maya too but this is all Max baby.
Im a poly modeller, never liked splines for low poly.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 08/08/03 - 1:05 AM Permalink

I'm jealous [:)] - beautiful modelling so far!

Posted by Malus on

Just getting a seat for the show. [:)]

Concept will be up soon.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Ok this isn't my final concept just something to show where I'm heading.
It was my original sketch but its too generic demon-ish, its now female and more menacing.

I'm going to do this guy High poly though cause I like his soul filled belly. [}:)]

[img]http://www.inkmancomic.com/dean/WIP/sumea4demon01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:12 AM Permalink

hell yeah, he's great! [:)] I particularly like his spine staff. I look forward to seeing him high poly when you get the time [;)]

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 01/08/03 - 2:16 AM Permalink

[:O] fwoooaaaaar that is one bad arse demon would love to see the textures on him lotsa dead skin and muck hehehe NICE !!!

very nice work Dean your gonna have a hell of a fun time modelling and texturing him.....[:D]

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:05 AM Permalink

"Hello! I'm Diablo's cousin and I'm currently looking for the contents of my chest and my entrails... has anyone seen them?"
Seriously evil stuff there... great evil, no idea how you're going to model that though

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 01/08/03 - 7:00 PM Permalink

Cool stuff, you are going to have some mighty texture work ahead of you, but should look funky as hell. I love the hips, so boney.

Pantmonger

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:09 PM Permalink

When will you show the female concept? I like the way the chest 'opens' - will that be an animated thingee after the challenge?

The 'soul stomach' is easily the best defining point.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:45 PM Permalink

Ironkart: yeah hopefully have time to do him high poly.

Ninja: Thwaorr-anks man. [:P]

Kezza: he'd massacre Diablo, check out his hieght based on that pip-squeek lol. Wait until you see the other one, alot harder to model, its got 4 legs and 2 arms.!!

Pants: Cheers! yes boney, boney is good.

Jon: Still working on it, have alot to do so haven't really touched it since I started it yesterday.
Maybe after the weekend as its my 28th b'day today, yippee!! and I have things to do, alcohol to drink etc.
yeah I like the stomach too, both of us have a thing for our models feeding don't we, must be in the genes...sick, sick puppies.

BTW: thats not the concept I'm using for the model just my first idea, you know how much I like to pimp lol.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 01/08/03 - 9:56 PM Permalink

quote: Wait until you see the other one, alot harder to model, its got 4 legs and 2 arms.!!

Gah - I'm working on an alternative concept and it's the same, only reversed -- 2 legs and four arms. Scrap that one, I guess.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

Cheers ironkart, you big sweety lol.

Jon: nah man keep it. It'll be totally different.
Btw, your concept rocks man, love the shading work, I never got the hang of 2b pencils Im a 2h clutch pencil man myself.

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 02/08/03 - 12:01 AM Permalink

Happy bufday DUDE !!!! its me birthday too this wednesday haahaha LEOS RULE !!!! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 02/08/03 - 12:05 AM Permalink

Thanks man. We will rule yes, when I organise a bigger army, demonic lions with wings are hard to maintain and the smell...the smell!!

Submitted by Piss Poor on Tue, 05/08/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

very disturbing malus?? i love it:)
disgustingly brilliant

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 05/08/03 - 5:52 AM Permalink

Sweet... top work.. one to freak out the kiddies....

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 05/08/03 - 6:02 AM Permalink

HOLY COW !!! dats some crazy shit Dean hehehehe !!! i like it [:)] model him...... model him NOW !!!!! [:D]

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Nah his is heaps better lol.
It is pretty similar though hey?! f#*k!

I've never seen that before, oh well evil minds think alike.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:36 AM Permalink

yeah

thats one of the problems of coming up with something original..

with 6 billion people on this planet.. its pretty hard to do :P

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 05/08/03 - 6:00 PM Permalink

Wow, that is freaky. Wouldn't like to see her holding that baby!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 05/08/03 - 9:17 PM Permalink

That's a much better concept, not the other was bad but this one has it's own flavour.

I think you've taken all the cool aspects of the last design and interpreted it in a much better way. (eg - the staff is now the tail).

The tail looks like it'll chew up a lot of polys, how will you do it? Alpha map?

If I have any criticism, it's that you've chosen to do the demon 'red' in colour. It's the 'classic demon colour' although, it does really suit this design.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:30 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

Jono was having trouble, I hadn't gave is a try but was thinking very different to the way you have done it very cool concept, nice to see some more realistic not so cartoon looking stuff from you Malus.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 1:33 AM Permalink

But i do think the lowwer arms could be changed they don't look to be very useful, if you like the idea of the lowwer arm I do thimk you should make them bigger so they look like they have more weigh in them.

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 06/08/03 - 3:21 AM Permalink

Thats one nasty pregnant demon bitch. Very sick and evil, I like it.
Only crit would be that the face doen't look very feminine, but then maybe it's a hemaphrodite??

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 06/08/03 - 5:26 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm taking saying Im sick as a compliment hehe.

Jon: not to sure on the tail yet, maybe alpha the ridges.
The texture is 'hopefully' going to be skin and muscle tissue not actually red like generic demon stuff. More emaciated, decaying, torn flesh maybe with really sore looking bits. [:P]

Ionized: Thanks man, sick is what I was after, lol. I also didn't want her to look to feminine, shes a nasty lady after all, I was going to sew her lips shut but that implied alot of negative things so I went with lots of teeth.
Shes not a hemaphrodite though, shes a whole lot-a women lol.

Its a bit of a challenge with the polycount but alot of fun to do.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 06/08/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Cartoonish remark was from what i have seen from you of late on Sumea. I have never been a big fan of them type of arms, they always little to be to small for the upper arm, and in this case with the longer legs I do think they could be a little different (in size.) But I reasly love this character. Good work.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:03 AM Permalink

That's looking excellent. Love the proportions.

You use Maya, right? Do you box or spline model?

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 08/08/03 - 12:06 AM Permalink

Cheers man.
I use Maya too but this is all Max baby.
Im a poly modeller, never liked splines for low poly.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 08/08/03 - 1:05 AM Permalink

I'm jealous [:)] - beautiful modelling so far!