Skip to main content

E3!

Submitted by weslouie on
Forum

So, E3 is a bit over a month away and I was wondering if anybody was going to go.

-Wes

[url]http://www.weslouie.com[/url]

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

I wish was, does that count?!?!

On a side note, if I was I would be on the lookout for info on Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear 3.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 28/03/04 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Heh. Im a cheap bastard when it comes to expo's and what not.

My hands grab every little freebie that i can, generally i use the technique of get a promotional bag full of promo stuff then just stuff it with other goodies and keep repeating it. Most of the time i come home with 4 or so bags full of bumper stickers, fridge magnets and dozens of brochures...damn i love expos and freebies [:p].

As for E3 i suffer the same fate as millions if not billions of others suffer, the suffering of not going and having to rely on banner filled websites for information [;)].

Submitted by weslouie on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:08 AM Permalink

Doh. Kinda sucks that more people from overseas can't go. I'm kinda lucky because it takes me about 15 minutes to get downtown to the LA Convention Center. So, I'm curious. Besides that Independent game developer conference they are going to have in Melbourne, are there any other video game conventions down there? Or do you all have to go to Europe for that?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

There's the Australian Game Developers Conference which is coming November-December. We have a fair few game developer related small events here and there (you can see them listed on the Sumea Calendar). Of course, none of which match up to the spectacle that is E3 though! I would absolutely love to go to E3 one day just to see what it's like (although I hear there's way too many queues to view the good stuff!)

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/03/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Phht. You don't need to line up to perv on booth babes :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 31/03/04 - 4:02 PM Permalink

Weslouie, I'll be there. This'll be my last year I expect though as in July I'll be moving out to Perth and probably leaving the biz. Nothing quite like a mecca to the Bright lights, Thumping Sound, Fake breasts and smiles on the booth babes, and of course seeing the best the industry has to offer. Which for me, is usually found in the Nintendo booth. Oh how I love the Nintendo booth, not only does it offer some of the most Original games in the industry, but the people they hire are not only attractive, but they're knowledgable about the games they are in charge of, something the booth babes just can't pull off.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 31/03/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

Souri: Surely you could get a pass to E3 being a member of the press right? I mean you do run a game development website so that should qualify you, heck I mean Penny Arcade usually go IIRC. Although this still requires you saving enough money to go there...

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 31/03/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Passes for Media need to be from a "Comercial Media Outlet." What does that mean? Who knows. Anyway if you were interested you can always fill out the registration and see if you get accepted
http://www.e3expo.com/e3expo/registration/media/

For the most part, E3 is pretty relaxed with badge holders. You usually only have your ID checked once to pick up your badge, then after that your ID is never checked. This of course allows us to bring in friends but utilizing our coworkers badges (they go the first day, we "borrow" the badges the following days). Anyway E3 is definitely one of those things that you have to go to at least once in life :)

Posted by weslouie on
Forum

So, E3 is a bit over a month away and I was wondering if anybody was going to go.

-Wes

[url]http://www.weslouie.com[/url]

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 28/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

I wish was, does that count?!?!

On a side note, if I was I would be on the lookout for info on Resident Evil 4 and Metal Gear 3.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 28/03/04 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Heh. Im a cheap bastard when it comes to expo's and what not.

My hands grab every little freebie that i can, generally i use the technique of get a promotional bag full of promo stuff then just stuff it with other goodies and keep repeating it. Most of the time i come home with 4 or so bags full of bumper stickers, fridge magnets and dozens of brochures...damn i love expos and freebies [:p].

As for E3 i suffer the same fate as millions if not billions of others suffer, the suffering of not going and having to rely on banner filled websites for information [;)].

Submitted by weslouie on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:08 AM Permalink

Doh. Kinda sucks that more people from overseas can't go. I'm kinda lucky because it takes me about 15 minutes to get downtown to the LA Convention Center. So, I'm curious. Besides that Independent game developer conference they are going to have in Melbourne, are there any other video game conventions down there? Or do you all have to go to Europe for that?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

There's the Australian Game Developers Conference which is coming November-December. We have a fair few game developer related small events here and there (you can see them listed on the Sumea Calendar). Of course, none of which match up to the spectacle that is E3 though! I would absolutely love to go to E3 one day just to see what it's like (although I hear there's way too many queues to view the good stuff!)

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 29/03/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Phht. You don't need to line up to perv on booth babes :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 31/03/04 - 4:02 PM Permalink

Weslouie, I'll be there. This'll be my last year I expect though as in July I'll be moving out to Perth and probably leaving the biz. Nothing quite like a mecca to the Bright lights, Thumping Sound, Fake breasts and smiles on the booth babes, and of course seeing the best the industry has to offer. Which for me, is usually found in the Nintendo booth. Oh how I love the Nintendo booth, not only does it offer some of the most Original games in the industry, but the people they hire are not only attractive, but they're knowledgable about the games they are in charge of, something the booth babes just can't pull off.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 31/03/04 - 7:09 PM Permalink

Souri: Surely you could get a pass to E3 being a member of the press right? I mean you do run a game development website so that should qualify you, heck I mean Penny Arcade usually go IIRC. Although this still requires you saving enough money to go there...

Submitted by DaMunkee on Wed, 31/03/04 - 8:08 PM Permalink

Passes for Media need to be from a "Comercial Media Outlet." What does that mean? Who knows. Anyway if you were interested you can always fill out the registration and see if you get accepted
http://www.e3expo.com/e3expo/registration/media/

For the most part, E3 is pretty relaxed with badge holders. You usually only have your ID checked once to pick up your badge, then after that your ID is never checked. This of course allows us to bring in friends but utilizing our coworkers badges (they go the first day, we "borrow" the badges the following days). Anyway E3 is definitely one of those things that you have to go to at least once in life :)