Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Major Clod'

Submitted by Major Clod on

Hey all. I still don't know exactly what I am going to do for the challenge yet, but I have been working on a dragon for last day or so, and I've quickly rigged him up to a skeleton so I don't have to show you the ugly non rigged pose :P Excuse the weighting I just threw on physiques envelopes and hoped for the best :P

[img]http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/dragon01.jpg[/img]

As you can see its not much in the creativity department yet, but if I do use him I'll make sure he is quite different to your normal dragon. At least now I'm in the mood to make fantasy models :)

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

I think the upper body could do with a bit of work, it have not chest and the wings come from no were. I also think it is a very basic normal looking dragon and could do with a little in the "creativity department" as you said. I think you should work out were the rider will be sitting. Becasue now I can't see were they may sit. Maybe will work if it is a huge dragon, and maybe it is.

But nice start. Can't wait to ssee more.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:24 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

I think the upper body could do with a bit of work, it have not chest and the wings come from no were. I also think it is a very basic normal looking dragon and could do with a little in the "creativity department" as you said. I think you should work out were the rider will be sitting. Becasue now I can't see were they may sit. Maybe will work if it is a huge dragon, and maybe it is.

I agree with Doord. It's a very nicely modelled but normal looking dragon. But I suppose it is the 'Classical' fantasy dragon a la "DragonLance". I dont see a problem with where the rider will sit - will it be on his neck?

If you want to go for a less 'normal' dragon - try looking at 'Panzer Dragoon Orta' (Xbox) for details. Some very innovative designs there.

Nice pose btw!

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 27/05/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

Yeah the wings come out of nowhere because they aren't part of the model yet. They are a seperate mesh I worked on so that I could get the deformations of the wings correct etc... I just stuck them on the dragon quickly to see how it would look.

By no means is this anywhere near close to a final mesh. I'm pretty sure it will be considerably different to what it is now by the end of the competition, if I decide to use it.

Cheers,

Ryan

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Nice dragon so far, I like his head and front legs.

I wasn't going to bring this up but my big mouth won't stop.
I feel its a big off using a model that you've got 70% complete for a challenge, its unfair on the guys who have to work from scratch.
I'm not too bothered this time because I was originally only going to do this character for my portfolio anyway.

Don't want to have a dig at you personally Major Clod I really like the model and look forward to seeing it finished, I mean the rules don't actually state: "No premade models" but I feel for next time it would be good if we all at least start from scratch.

Anyway the comp police, nazi Malus has finished his moan.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Dragon'y goodness

The good: Overall shape, nice head and good form to the wings.

The crits: Lots of polys spent on little lumps and knots (on the fingers/claws and joints on the wings) I think these polys could be better spent rounding and smoothing out the animal and adding other details like a spine ridge.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Malus: You know, I kind of take offense to you calling me a cheater. I said in my first post that I've only been working on the model only for a few days. Do you want me to scan in my sketches and quick structure drawings, or maybe some screenshots of my file creation dates? I don't know where you got the idea that I had this model laying around, but I started working on the model just after the contest was announced, and it kinda bothers me to stick up a shot for some crits and get accused of using a premade model.

I mean Ironikart has a shot up of his fully textured steed, and no accusations there... whats the go?

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/05/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Ah damn, I need to learn to read properly.
I totally misread your post, a stupid thing to do, I apologise humbly. [:(]

I wasn't calling you a cheater btw as the comp rules never said the use of premade models isn't allowed (not that you did anyway). Just my confused mind was saying in future we should steer clear of that sort of thing but since i made the massive error I guess we can just ignore my idiotic rant.

Again I'm really sorry, I misread it and its my fault alone I hope you aren't too pissed at me, I never meant to dismiss your talent. I am looking forward to seeing it completed as I said in my first post.

I'm going to go beat my head against a pole now ok.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

Thats cool man no hard feelings, just good to hear that you just misread it! :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 28/05/03 - 5:45 PM Permalink

Sure looks like a Dragon to me, great stuff!

As a few people have mentioned you need to revisit how the wings attach to the body, check out a few reference pics usually the only part of the wing that is attached is the most forward part maybe create another line of bone like the ones you already have on the wings for the edge closest to the body.

Great to see such a range of subjects for everyones entry.

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

AAwww, I love dragons. I was always a big fan of the art of Dragonlance. Who cares if it isn't super original, if you can pull off a great traditional dragon, then go for it.

Just a suggestion, when you map it, you could use alpha maps on the wings to good effect.

Any thoughts on the rider yet?

Posted by Major Clod on

Hey all. I still don't know exactly what I am going to do for the challenge yet, but I have been working on a dragon for last day or so, and I've quickly rigged him up to a skeleton so I don't have to show you the ugly non rigged pose :P Excuse the weighting I just threw on physiques envelopes and hoped for the best :P

[img]http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/dragon01.jpg[/img]

As you can see its not much in the creativity department yet, but if I do use him I'll make sure he is quite different to your normal dragon. At least now I'm in the mood to make fantasy models :)

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 27/05/03 - 2:30 AM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 27/05/03 - 3:24 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

I agree with Doord. It's a very nicely modelled but normal looking dragon. But I suppose it is the 'Classical' fantasy dragon a la "DragonLance". I dont see a problem with where the rider will sit - will it be on his neck?

If you want to go for a less 'normal' dragon - try looking at 'Panzer Dragoon Orta' (Xbox) for details. Some very innovative designs there.

Nice pose btw!

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 27/05/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

Yeah the wings come out of nowhere because they aren't part of the model yet. They are a seperate mesh I worked on so that I could get the deformations of the wings correct etc... I just stuck them on the dragon quickly to see how it would look.

By no means is this anywhere near close to a final mesh. I'm pretty sure it will be considerably different to what it is now by the end of the competition, if I decide to use it.

Cheers,

Ryan

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:24 PM Permalink

Nice dragon so far, I like his head and front legs.

I wasn't going to bring this up but my big mouth won't stop.
I feel its a big off using a model that you've got 70% complete for a challenge, its unfair on the guys who have to work from scratch.
I'm not too bothered this time because I was originally only going to do this character for my portfolio anyway.

Don't want to have a dig at you personally Major Clod I really like the model and look forward to seeing it finished, I mean the rules don't actually state: "No premade models" but I feel for next time it would be good if we all at least start from scratch.

Anyway the comp police, nazi Malus has finished his moan.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Dragon'y goodness

The good: Overall shape, nice head and good form to the wings.

The crits: Lots of polys spent on little lumps and knots (on the fingers/claws and joints on the wings) I think these polys could be better spent rounding and smoothing out the animal and adding other details like a spine ridge.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Malus: You know, I kind of take offense to you calling me a cheater. I said in my first post that I've only been working on the model only for a few days. Do you want me to scan in my sketches and quick structure drawings, or maybe some screenshots of my file creation dates? I don't know where you got the idea that I had this model laying around, but I started working on the model just after the contest was announced, and it kinda bothers me to stick up a shot for some crits and get accused of using a premade model.

I mean Ironikart has a shot up of his fully textured steed, and no accusations there... whats the go?

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/05/03 - 4:48 AM Permalink

Ah damn, I need to learn to read properly.
I totally misread your post, a stupid thing to do, I apologise humbly. [:(]

I wasn't calling you a cheater btw as the comp rules never said the use of premade models isn't allowed (not that you did anyway). Just my confused mind was saying in future we should steer clear of that sort of thing but since i made the massive error I guess we can just ignore my idiotic rant.

Again I'm really sorry, I misread it and its my fault alone I hope you aren't too pissed at me, I never meant to dismiss your talent. I am looking forward to seeing it completed as I said in my first post.

I'm going to go beat my head against a pole now ok.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

Thats cool man no hard feelings, just good to hear that you just misread it! :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 28/05/03 - 5:45 PM Permalink

Sure looks like a Dragon to me, great stuff!

As a few people have mentioned you need to revisit how the wings attach to the body, check out a few reference pics usually the only part of the wing that is attached is the most forward part maybe create another line of bone like the ones you already have on the wings for the edge closest to the body.

Great to see such a range of subjects for everyones entry.

Submitted by Ionized on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:16 PM Permalink

AAwww, I love dragons. I was always a big fan of the art of Dragonlance. Who cares if it isn't super original, if you can pull off a great traditional dragon, then go for it.

Just a suggestion, when you map it, you could use alpha maps on the wings to good effect.

Any thoughts on the rider yet?