Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Ironikart'

Submitted by ironikart on

I haven't had much time to scan in my concept sketches for this model so I'm just posting my work so far. I've modelled my "steed" and I'm in the process of modelling the armour and detail for him (It'll start to look more fantasy like with the armour - at the moment he's sort of a cross between a bear and a wolf). Its 1365 poly's so far and hopefully looking ok. I can't wait to get started on the warrior! This is a killer topic for a competition! [;)]

Tell me what you think so far? (I've seen the other entries for the comps and my work doesn't really stack up, but I'll have a go anyway!)
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/polarsteed_texture_te…]

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I like it, with 7000 polys you could add alot more detail though, unless the rider has a sh!tload.
Maybe give him reins attached to his head?

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

Looks like its going pretty cool, its good to see all these different themes, nomad, artic, ocean.

Hopefully everyone gets to finish this time around, each comp has brought out some pretty cool designs.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

I've modelled some armour and textured a bit more. I left some of the modelling till after most of the texturing... I wanted to see how much more model I could make with the texture space available (I'm still pretty new at low-poly modelling). I'll give him reins and some smaller details to make the most of the poly's available... but I might leave that until after the warrior and see how many I'll have left.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Nice looking, but chunky bear. Spend those polys, dont be shy. Not using avalable polys is as great a sin as going over the count, so spend big.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 12:34 AM Permalink

Sweet model! I think it could use with smoothing him out a bit more though. Looking forward to the rest!

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 28/05/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

Looking good, maybe add some detail to his and some teeth to bring out the "Bear" in him a bit more, but apart from that great start :)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/05/03 - 2:34 AM Permalink

When you wrote 3DS MAX R4, I thought you meant 3DS R4 (the version before 3DS MAX 1) for a second there. ;) Cool model and texturing (but stretched at some places, but I know you're working on it)..

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 6:52 AM Permalink

I've worked on some more of the texturing and headpiece. I still have quite a few poly's to work with so I'll have a go at smoothing him out more and getting rid of the stretching in the textures. For such a simple model I found him surprisingly hard to texture! I'm also posting a wireframe of him as he stands at the moment. I'll spend a few more poly's on the face and smoothing.>>>
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/polasteed_wireframe.j…]
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/texture%20tester05.jp…]

getting there though. I've started modelling the warrior as well, but I'll post that when I have something more to show.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

He's looking good, I like the headpiece. Now that you have posted wires of the mesh, I think it would be good if you spend a few of those polys on the joints for his front legs, otherwise you might get some bad deforming happening.

Models like yours that have huge amounts of fur are quite a challenge to texture well. Good job!

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I'm getting stuck into spending more polys. So far I've done some smoothing, remodelled the face and done some optimisation for the textures. I've also given him fangs for a prehistoric smilodon look, and removed the armour in favour of something a little different...
Thanks for the comments so far, they've really helped!

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Ditched the fangs... They sort of changed the look that I was going for. Lucky we've got some time on this one because I keep changing my mind!

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 18/06/03 - 4:44 AM Permalink

The rider looks awesome. It kind of reminds me of a Skeksi from the Dark Crystal for some reason. Nice work.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 18/06/03 - 5:41 AM Permalink

dark crystal rings a bell... was it a movie? I got the inspiration for him after watching leunig animated (christmas present). I've posed him up now and it makes him look a little more natural. He seemed to fit into the already designed saddle ok so I think only a few minor modifications are needed.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 18/06/03 - 6:11 AM Permalink

Yes it was a movie filled with muppets. I have had a strong desire to do a high poly Skeksi, one of these days I will.

The fish eye scares me (which aint a bad thing)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 18/06/03 - 11:00 AM Permalink

I still have to finish my mystic model from dark crystal too. [:P]

Submitted by Shaetano on Sat, 28/06/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

that looks pretty spiffy, whats the poly count ??.

since you have time, maybe try some claws on mr p. bear?

Submitted by ironikart on Sun, 29/06/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

oops forgot the polycount: 5548
under by a bit...

Submitted by Jocon on Sun, 29/06/03 - 7:15 PM Permalink

You cant help but like this character, because he has plenty of it .All aspects executed well I think, Nice work.

Posted by ironikart on

I haven't had much time to scan in my concept sketches for this model so I'm just posting my work so far. I've modelled my "steed" and I'm in the process of modelling the armour and detail for him (It'll start to look more fantasy like with the armour - at the moment he's sort of a cross between a bear and a wolf). Its 1365 poly's so far and hopefully looking ok. I can't wait to get started on the warrior! This is a killer topic for a competition! [;)]

Tell me what you think so far? (I've seen the other entries for the comps and my work doesn't really stack up, but I'll have a go anyway!)
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/polarsteed_texture_te…]

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I like it, with 7000 polys you could add alot more detail though, unless the rider has a sh!tload.
Maybe give him reins attached to his head?

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

Looks like its going pretty cool, its good to see all these different themes, nomad, artic, ocean.

Hopefully everyone gets to finish this time around, each comp has brought out some pretty cool designs.

Submitted by ironikart on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

I've modelled some armour and textured a bit more. I left some of the modelling till after most of the texturing... I wanted to see how much more model I could make with the texture space available (I'm still pretty new at low-poly modelling). I'll give him reins and some smaller details to make the most of the poly's available... but I might leave that until after the warrior and see how many I'll have left.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Nice looking, but chunky bear. Spend those polys, dont be shy. Not using avalable polys is as great a sin as going over the count, so spend big.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 12:34 AM Permalink

Sweet model! I think it could use with smoothing him out a bit more though. Looking forward to the rest!

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 28/05/03 - 2:27 AM Permalink

Looking good, maybe add some detail to his and some teeth to bring out the "Bear" in him a bit more, but apart from that great start :)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/05/03 - 2:34 AM Permalink

When you wrote 3DS MAX R4, I thought you meant 3DS R4 (the version before 3DS MAX 1) for a second there. ;) Cool model and texturing (but stretched at some places, but I know you're working on it)..

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 6:52 AM Permalink

I've worked on some more of the texturing and headpiece. I still have quite a few poly's to work with so I'll have a go at smoothing him out more and getting rid of the stretching in the textures. For such a simple model I found him surprisingly hard to texture! I'm also posting a wireframe of him as he stands at the moment. I'll spend a few more poly's on the face and smoothing.>>>
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/polasteed_wireframe.j…]
[img]http://www.hotkey.com.au/~noody/images/fullimages/texture%20tester05.jp…]

getting there though. I've started modelling the warrior as well, but I'll post that when I have something more to show.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 28/05/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

He's looking good, I like the headpiece. Now that you have posted wires of the mesh, I think it would be good if you spend a few of those polys on the joints for his front legs, otherwise you might get some bad deforming happening.

Models like yours that have huge amounts of fur are quite a challenge to texture well. Good job!

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I'm getting stuck into spending more polys. So far I've done some smoothing, remodelled the face and done some optimisation for the textures. I've also given him fangs for a prehistoric smilodon look, and removed the armour in favour of something a little different...
Thanks for the comments so far, they've really helped!

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 8:50 PM Permalink

Ditched the fangs... They sort of changed the look that I was going for. Lucky we've got some time on this one because I keep changing my mind!

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 18/06/03 - 4:44 AM Permalink

The rider looks awesome. It kind of reminds me of a Skeksi from the Dark Crystal for some reason. Nice work.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 18/06/03 - 5:41 AM Permalink

dark crystal rings a bell... was it a movie? I got the inspiration for him after watching leunig animated (christmas present). I've posed him up now and it makes him look a little more natural. He seemed to fit into the already designed saddle ok so I think only a few minor modifications are needed.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 18/06/03 - 6:11 AM Permalink

Yes it was a movie filled with muppets. I have had a strong desire to do a high poly Skeksi, one of these days I will.

The fish eye scares me (which aint a bad thing)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 18/06/03 - 11:00 AM Permalink

I still have to finish my mystic model from dark crystal too. [:P]

Submitted by Shaetano on Sat, 28/06/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

that looks pretty spiffy, whats the poly count ??.

since you have time, maybe try some claws on mr p. bear?

Submitted by ironikart on Sun, 29/06/03 - 12:20 AM Permalink

oops forgot the polycount: 5548
under by a bit...

Submitted by Jocon on Sun, 29/06/03 - 7:15 PM Permalink

You cant help but like this character, because he has plenty of it .All aspects executed well I think, Nice work.