Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #3 -3D- 'Dan_Ward'

Submitted by Dan Ward on

Okies here we go again,

Here is my trusty "Steed", hes a Ogre/Cyclops/Giant type creature, not real smart but boy can he move when he has to...

Currently sitting at 3700 tris

Still early WIP but this is the basic form i was after.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/sumea3.jpg[/img]

C&C Please :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:14 PM Permalink

I like the idea but with 3700 polygons he looks pretty blocky. It looks like all the details in the feet.
Like the reins lol, he'd move quick smart if you pulled on those.

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:41 PM Permalink

I think it may be an intentional type blockiness, more of a rock troll / mountain inhabitant type thing (kinda how t.pratchett has his trolls (heck or even neverending story ;p ). But yer, all the vertices in the feet kinda draw away from the rest, but its only a mesh not textured :).

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Interesting.
I think you may need to cut some tri's out of his feet and Im not sure that his teeth need so may polys and his hads look a little square cut, but overall it looks funky.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback guys,

As i said still very early WIP, ive got him down to 3505 polys atm without loosing any defination, i think he looks a little blocky because you can see the mesh .. the renders look too rounded if anything.

edit - Semi Final mesh. 3585 Tris

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/sumea3_1.jpg[/img]

will probably revisit once i have done the rider and can see how many if any polys i have left.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 10:08 PM Permalink

gotta love that toothy grin! Really nice model you've got there. Can't wait to see your warrior.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

man, that is really nice. I love the texturing on the flag so far. (I forgot we could use alpha maps). Can't wait to see his skin!

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 31/05/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

WOW man i cant beleive how fast u guys work !!!! NICE JOB.......

Submitted by DrBadvibes on Sat, 31/05/03 - 6:08 AM Permalink

Slow down all of you dammit! I haven't even finished my concept yet! [:)]

Great stuff Dan, I like, it has a really solid feel to it.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/05/03 - 12:36 PM Permalink

He looks like hes been taken off road, 4wd ogre covered in mud lol.
Doesn't Angelina Jolie miss her lips?
Nice detail on the braided belts and the head gear, the rest of the texture looks a little unfinished though, needs more detail.

You guys are doing them alot quicker this time, well Pants always speeds them out I guess [:P].
Its good to see, hope we have more than 6 entries this time.

I'll be starting this in a couple of days, gotta finish my other comp first, the way its going I'll be the last entry again.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sat, 31/05/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

I dont remember reading any books that said ogres are clean? :)

Add More detail! are you insane man any more detail and my PC will explode, only areas that arent super detailed are his muscles and i didnt want him to be "cut".

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/05/03 - 9:20 PM Permalink

Didn't remeber say being dirty was a negative just said he looks dirty, I liked that about it.

As for details, even a non cut fat person/ogre would have some muscle definition, folds in the fatty areas of the skin, creases near joints, wrinkles etc.
Hey its your guy so I don't want to step on your toes, I just thought it was a bit flat compared to the detail on your belts, head gear etc.

Why would adding detail blow up your pc?

You going to pose him when you do the rider? I'd like to see his reaction to those reins lol. Ouch!

Posted by Dan Ward on

Okies here we go again,

Here is my trusty "Steed", hes a Ogre/Cyclops/Giant type creature, not real smart but boy can he move when he has to...

Currently sitting at 3700 tris

Still early WIP but this is the basic form i was after.

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/sumea3.jpg[/img]

C&C Please :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:14 PM Permalink

I like the idea but with 3700 polygons he looks pretty blocky. It looks like all the details in the feet.
Like the reins lol, he'd move quick smart if you pulled on those.

Submitted by Shaetano on Tue, 27/05/03 - 10:41 PM Permalink

I think it may be an intentional type blockiness, more of a rock troll / mountain inhabitant type thing (kinda how t.pratchett has his trolls (heck or even neverending story ;p ). But yer, all the vertices in the feet kinda draw away from the rest, but its only a mesh not textured :).

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Interesting.
I think you may need to cut some tri's out of his feet and Im not sure that his teeth need so may polys and his hads look a little square cut, but overall it looks funky.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Tue, 27/05/03 - 11:45 PM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback guys,

As i said still very early WIP, ive got him down to 3505 polys atm without loosing any defination, i think he looks a little blocky because you can see the mesh .. the renders look too rounded if anything.

edit - Semi Final mesh. 3585 Tris

[img]http://www.steelkey.com.au/sumea3_1.jpg[/img]

will probably revisit once i have done the rider and can see how many if any polys i have left.

Submitted by ironikart on Wed, 28/05/03 - 10:08 PM Permalink

gotta love that toothy grin! Really nice model you've got there. Can't wait to see your warrior.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 30/05/03 - 6:15 PM Permalink

man, that is really nice. I love the texturing on the flag so far. (I forgot we could use alpha maps). Can't wait to see his skin!

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 31/05/03 - 1:40 AM Permalink

WOW man i cant beleive how fast u guys work !!!! NICE JOB.......

Submitted by DrBadvibes on Sat, 31/05/03 - 6:08 AM Permalink

Slow down all of you dammit! I haven't even finished my concept yet! [:)]

Great stuff Dan, I like, it has a really solid feel to it.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/05/03 - 12:36 PM Permalink

He looks like hes been taken off road, 4wd ogre covered in mud lol.
Doesn't Angelina Jolie miss her lips?
Nice detail on the braided belts and the head gear, the rest of the texture looks a little unfinished though, needs more detail.

You guys are doing them alot quicker this time, well Pants always speeds them out I guess [:P].
Its good to see, hope we have more than 6 entries this time.

I'll be starting this in a couple of days, gotta finish my other comp first, the way its going I'll be the last entry again.

Submitted by Dan Ward on Sat, 31/05/03 - 8:24 PM Permalink

I dont remember reading any books that said ogres are clean? :)

Add More detail! are you insane man any more detail and my PC will explode, only areas that arent super detailed are his muscles and i didnt want him to be "cut".

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 31/05/03 - 9:20 PM Permalink

Didn't remeber say being dirty was a negative just said he looks dirty, I liked that about it.

As for details, even a non cut fat person/ogre would have some muscle definition, folds in the fatty areas of the skin, creases near joints, wrinkles etc.
Hey its your guy so I don't want to step on your toes, I just thought it was a bit flat compared to the detail on your belts, head gear etc.

Why would adding detail blow up your pc?

You going to pose him when you do the rider? I'd like to see his reaction to those reins lol. Ouch!