Skip to main content

My first two weeks:

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

The first two weeks of work.

Well I thought I would be nice and courteous and give everyone an update on how things are going for me at the first two weeks at work.

I can?t say a huge amount of stuff as it's really just been two weeks but I?ll give everyone an update.

Disclaimer: Members of Blue Tongue and THQ need not worry; the game I?m working on will be referred, as ?project? and nothing more will be disclosed.

I was greeted in a casual and friendly manner when I entered Blue Tongue. I meet up with my new lead designer and we talked about the project I was to work on. Just spent some time chatting and getting a feel for what the idea and goals of the game I?m working on is.

The first day was really just meeting everyone and taking my new environment in.

Soon enough though I would get the studios level design tool. It's a lot to get used to and I?m still learning the editor for all it's functions and tricks.

I gotta say I?m quite excited about the game I?m making. I can?t really give any more detail then that other then I think it's gonna be loads of fun.

The people at blue tongue are nice. To my surprise however I?m now the youngest kid on the block. At 20 years old the previously younger employee is 22. There's a diverse range of ages and nationalities and the place has a very multicultural feel while still being casual and a friendly place to work.

I guess my only complaints are things that can?t be helped. One being the 3 hours a day total travel time I take to get to work. That's a bit of a downer and I don?t have an mp3 player to pass any time on the train. Defiantly an investment for my first paycheck. When it comes on December 15th.

The other would be the cost of food in the city. It's absolutely ridiculous. The only places you can get value is your typical and more popular outlets like subway and McDonalds. Most independent restaurants charge minimum $12 upwards for a lunch that ?might? be able to fill you. It's defiantly advised to bring in your own lunch.

While being so early in production and being so new I can?t be productive 100% of the time I?m trying hard to impress and become part of the team. Been trying to make some friends as well.

Anyway. Just wanted to update you guys. Cheers.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Sun, 26/11/06 - 1:34 PM Permalink

20 years? damn, thats young. im only late 21, but still. you must have some talent.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 27/11/06 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Yeah the price of food in Melb has been my number one gripe, but after a while you'll find a few cheaper places here and there. You still get swayed to spend a lot though, I live on lygon st right dead center of all the Italian resturants, and work is like 10mins walk away, I'll go out to lunch with monetary preservation in mind, but 8/10 times I'll just go "hmm I could go pasta" $15-$20 gone. Spend that every day and you start feeling the hit.

Buuut, in Carlton and in the city the the eating's great and the women look good so you can't stay mad.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 27/11/06 - 1:37 PM Permalink

I'm sure with time you will sniff out the cheapie snack bars and value for money asian take-aways... and maybe even learn to make your own lunch ;)

Good to hear you are settling okay. It is always an anxious time starting a new job with new people, takes months the really settle in, but that is all part of the fun of a new job.

...how many times have I made lunch for work over the last 6 years? ummmm approximately zero

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 27/11/06 - 4:28 PM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN]...how many times have I made lunch for work over the last 6 years? ummmm approximately zero [/QUOTE]

Haha I know where they hide the snacks at my work

Submitted by souri on Tue, 28/11/06 - 12:49 PM Permalink

When I was working in the city (Sydney), I thought I'd try something different for once. So I bought a sandwich, without looking at the price list.

And it cost me $15 freaken dollars. Yeh, that's two slices of bread, some meat inbetween some lettuce, and that was it. Nothing really fancy at all. I haven't bought another sandwich since

I did try to pack lunch to save money, but just couldn't be bothered after a while. There was this really nice sushi place right at the bottom of the building I worked (they somehow managed to fit their shop in some tiny gap in the building ), so I had that everyday.

I've had a few drinks with a few Blue Tonguarian's and they're really cool.

Submitted by offtake on Tue, 28/11/06 - 3:03 PM Permalink

For cheap places to eat in Melbourne if you can't be assed preparing anthing at home....

Don Don, japanese - you can get a good serving of rice and teriyaki chicken for about $5.50, it's a poor students haven! On swantson street, between lonsdale and la trobe streets.

Further down swanston street, (between bourke and Lonsdale) is Mekong Delta where you can pick up a bowl of Pho (rice noodle soup) for about $6-$7.

There's Vic Market open Thurs - Sunday, go for the $2.50 boreks!

Or you can slip into RMIT cafeteria for some cheap food. I was living off $2 fried rice for a long time.

Hope this helps mate, Good luck in you new position!

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Wed, 29/11/06 - 4:18 AM Permalink

The problem with when I make my own lunch, even when its something good like spaghetti or chicken or whatever, I live 10mins walk away from work so I plan to head home to eat it. Everytime lunch comes around though I'm like "Hmm, I might get Indian"

I'm a serious 'grass is greener' kind of guy

Submitted by PeterDavis on Wed, 29/11/06 - 10:00 AM Permalink

hrm lunch time. i might make myself a toastie. lunch = about $3 today.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/11/06 - 5:14 PM Permalink

man ive been making my own lunch for years, its much cheaper that way :)

that said i do buy on occasion, im with offtake. A poor RMIT student youll find at don dons :P

Submitted by groovyone on Thu, 30/11/06 - 12:28 AM Permalink

$15 for a Sandwich?? Where were you buying, usually it's only $5-8 for lunch. You must have been to some ritzy joint for those prices!

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

The first two weeks of work.

Well I thought I would be nice and courteous and give everyone an update on how things are going for me at the first two weeks at work.

I can?t say a huge amount of stuff as it's really just been two weeks but I?ll give everyone an update.

Disclaimer: Members of Blue Tongue and THQ need not worry; the game I?m working on will be referred, as ?project? and nothing more will be disclosed.

I was greeted in a casual and friendly manner when I entered Blue Tongue. I meet up with my new lead designer and we talked about the project I was to work on. Just spent some time chatting and getting a feel for what the idea and goals of the game I?m working on is.

The first day was really just meeting everyone and taking my new environment in.

Soon enough though I would get the studios level design tool. It's a lot to get used to and I?m still learning the editor for all it's functions and tricks.

I gotta say I?m quite excited about the game I?m making. I can?t really give any more detail then that other then I think it's gonna be loads of fun.

The people at blue tongue are nice. To my surprise however I?m now the youngest kid on the block. At 20 years old the previously younger employee is 22. There's a diverse range of ages and nationalities and the place has a very multicultural feel while still being casual and a friendly place to work.

I guess my only complaints are things that can?t be helped. One being the 3 hours a day total travel time I take to get to work. That's a bit of a downer and I don?t have an mp3 player to pass any time on the train. Defiantly an investment for my first paycheck. When it comes on December 15th.

The other would be the cost of food in the city. It's absolutely ridiculous. The only places you can get value is your typical and more popular outlets like subway and McDonalds. Most independent restaurants charge minimum $12 upwards for a lunch that ?might? be able to fill you. It's defiantly advised to bring in your own lunch.

While being so early in production and being so new I can?t be productive 100% of the time I?m trying hard to impress and become part of the team. Been trying to make some friends as well.

Anyway. Just wanted to update you guys. Cheers.

Submitted by PeterDavis on Sun, 26/11/06 - 1:34 PM Permalink

20 years? damn, thats young. im only late 21, but still. you must have some talent.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Mon, 27/11/06 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Yeah the price of food in Melb has been my number one gripe, but after a while you'll find a few cheaper places here and there. You still get swayed to spend a lot though, I live on lygon st right dead center of all the Italian resturants, and work is like 10mins walk away, I'll go out to lunch with monetary preservation in mind, but 8/10 times I'll just go "hmm I could go pasta" $15-$20 gone. Spend that every day and you start feeling the hit.

Buuut, in Carlton and in the city the the eating's great and the women look good so you can't stay mad.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 27/11/06 - 1:37 PM Permalink

I'm sure with time you will sniff out the cheapie snack bars and value for money asian take-aways... and maybe even learn to make your own lunch ;)

Good to hear you are settling okay. It is always an anxious time starting a new job with new people, takes months the really settle in, but that is all part of the fun of a new job.

...how many times have I made lunch for work over the last 6 years? ummmm approximately zero

Submitted by Killa Dee on Mon, 27/11/06 - 4:28 PM Permalink

[QUOTE=JohnN]...how many times have I made lunch for work over the last 6 years? ummmm approximately zero [/QUOTE]

Haha I know where they hide the snacks at my work

Submitted by souri on Tue, 28/11/06 - 12:49 PM Permalink

When I was working in the city (Sydney), I thought I'd try something different for once. So I bought a sandwich, without looking at the price list.

And it cost me $15 freaken dollars. Yeh, that's two slices of bread, some meat inbetween some lettuce, and that was it. Nothing really fancy at all. I haven't bought another sandwich since

I did try to pack lunch to save money, but just couldn't be bothered after a while. There was this really nice sushi place right at the bottom of the building I worked (they somehow managed to fit their shop in some tiny gap in the building ), so I had that everyday.

I've had a few drinks with a few Blue Tonguarian's and they're really cool.

Submitted by offtake on Tue, 28/11/06 - 3:03 PM Permalink

For cheap places to eat in Melbourne if you can't be assed preparing anthing at home....

Don Don, japanese - you can get a good serving of rice and teriyaki chicken for about $5.50, it's a poor students haven! On swantson street, between lonsdale and la trobe streets.

Further down swanston street, (between bourke and Lonsdale) is Mekong Delta where you can pick up a bowl of Pho (rice noodle soup) for about $6-$7.

There's Vic Market open Thurs - Sunday, go for the $2.50 boreks!

Or you can slip into RMIT cafeteria for some cheap food. I was living off $2 fried rice for a long time.

Hope this helps mate, Good luck in you new position!

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Wed, 29/11/06 - 4:18 AM Permalink

The problem with when I make my own lunch, even when its something good like spaghetti or chicken or whatever, I live 10mins walk away from work so I plan to head home to eat it. Everytime lunch comes around though I'm like "Hmm, I might get Indian"

I'm a serious 'grass is greener' kind of guy

Submitted by PeterDavis on Wed, 29/11/06 - 10:00 AM Permalink

hrm lunch time. i might make myself a toastie. lunch = about $3 today.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/11/06 - 5:14 PM Permalink

man ive been making my own lunch for years, its much cheaper that way :)

that said i do buy on occasion, im with offtake. A poor RMIT student youll find at don dons :P

Submitted by groovyone on Thu, 30/11/06 - 12:28 AM Permalink

$15 for a Sandwich?? Where were you buying, usually it's only $5-8 for lunch. You must have been to some ritzy joint for those prices!