Skip to main content

Getting back on the dead horse (sketchbook?)

Submitted by Makk on

Im going through a period of severe lack of motivation, not having any artwork since, well i cant remember. So I decided to kick my ass tonight and try a quick self portriat.
Im hoping to make this a sketchbook of sorts, to keep me motived (So if I havent posted anyhting in here feel free to kick me in the ass!)

So yeah....

Just something small and quick, about 30mins or so.
Enjoyed it too so I want to make more smaller projects like SPs to begin with.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 26/11/06 - 8:08 PM Permalink

ooooh, Makk looks like a zombie! nice :p

It is hard to get a face looking finished in P.Shop in half an hour isn't it. Good to see another sketchbook being started up, I look forward to updates.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 29/11/06 - 4:52 PM Permalink

gah! i need a better monitor, thers places around the face that thought were painted dark enough but upon seeing it now, they need to be tweaked.

Thanks John, prolly spent only 15mins on the painting side but i agree with you nonetheless :)

Started on an enviro, hope to post it soon.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 14/12/06 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Here we go with an update...

*edit* Yeah, tried to fix it up abit more.

Makk2006-12-14 08:10:16

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 14/12/06 - 11:23 AM Permalink

Tapioka pudding environment, yum! just kidding, I know it's snow. The bottom half looks like it is an overcast day ('warm' shadows and no cast shadows) but it is a clear blue sky. Might be worth trying to model the forms with cool colours (the snow will reflect the sky colour) and adding some cast shadows and defining the core shadows in a more sharply might help too.

...and the horizon line is dividing the pic in half, generally a no-no as it doesn't help create a focus within the composition.

might be worth just trying some of the alts on thumbnail sized versions. That would allow you to play around with lighting etc quickly.

Posted by Makk on

Im going through a period of severe lack of motivation, not having any artwork since, well i cant remember. So I decided to kick my ass tonight and try a quick self portriat.
Im hoping to make this a sketchbook of sorts, to keep me motived (So if I havent posted anyhting in here feel free to kick me in the ass!)

So yeah....

Just something small and quick, about 30mins or so.
Enjoyed it too so I want to make more smaller projects like SPs to begin with.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 26/11/06 - 8:08 PM Permalink

ooooh, Makk looks like a zombie! nice :p

It is hard to get a face looking finished in P.Shop in half an hour isn't it. Good to see another sketchbook being started up, I look forward to updates.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 29/11/06 - 4:52 PM Permalink

gah! i need a better monitor, thers places around the face that thought were painted dark enough but upon seeing it now, they need to be tweaked.

Thanks John, prolly spent only 15mins on the painting side but i agree with you nonetheless :)

Started on an enviro, hope to post it soon.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 14/12/06 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Here we go with an update...

*edit* Yeah, tried to fix it up abit more.

Makk2006-12-14 08:10:16

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 14/12/06 - 11:23 AM Permalink

Tapioka pudding environment, yum! just kidding, I know it's snow. The bottom half looks like it is an overcast day ('warm' shadows and no cast shadows) but it is a clear blue sky. Might be worth trying to model the forms with cool colours (the snow will reflect the sky colour) and adding some cast shadows and defining the core shadows in a more sharply might help too.

...and the horizon line is dividing the pic in half, generally a no-no as it doesn't help create a focus within the composition.

might be worth just trying some of the alts on thumbnail sized versions. That would allow you to play around with lighting etc quickly.