Skip to main content

SWAT like concept

Submitted by MoonUnit on

im working on creating a basic design for a model im going to make to use in a film project in UT2k4, basicly this guy is supposed to look like a sort of SWAT special forces type marine. Incase your wondering, BISCIT = Beuruo of Investigation Special Combat and Initiative Team
yeah, its comedy ;)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200492513644_teamconc1…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200492513644_teamconc1…"]teamconc1.jpg[/url]
29.41 KB

comments crit greatly appreciated (btw i know hes like badly weighted and stuff, its just a design shot for the appearence of the character (ill make orthos later) and what he's wearing etc)

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 26/09/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Look SWAT like :)
have you considered making the vest appear more armoured? It currently follows the figures contours quite closely.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 26/09/04 - 9:26 PM Permalink

Looks good, but just one crit. All the straps and stuff look ver tight, like blood circulation cutting tight, prolly just make them look a bit more loose or thick so they dont look like their hugging the skin so much. But other than that great work.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:52 AM Permalink

Looks cool.

I?ve got a crit and a couple of small suggestions:

I think the feet would look better if you show the entire high cut boot, with the trouser legs tucked into the boot. The way it is now it looks like the trouser ends hang over the boot, which is very unrealistic (they don?t want their pant legs to get wet and slimy!)

My other suggestions for improvement would be to consider giving his pants cargo pockets instead of seemingly pointless straps, and maybe giving him a set of goggles, even if the goggles are just on top of his helmet, they seem to be the accessory of choice for those swat type guys.

Oh, and he should have a holstered pistol on his belt also.

Hope my suggestions help. Nice drawing [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 27/09/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

goggles or a visored helmet would be cool - you could just do an alternative head with different options to see if they might work or not. You could do the same for leg details with alt. straps and cargo pockes etc.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 28/09/04 - 12:42 AM Permalink

First of all thanks for all the comments guys :)

JohnN: yeah i figured itd be kinda tight but then again i suppose not so nescarily, i was going to make it have a sort of ribbed appearence upon texturing when made.. i may look into that (its actually hard to get good ref pics). I might do some variations as the model itself is going to be used for different characters, im not sure if im going to use texture and colour scheme for variation entirely.

Bullet21: heh heh maybe so, i dunno its supposed to be elastic which goes as tight as youll let it :P

palantir: hes actually wearing large shin gaurds, its hard to see in that drawing because i has no colour but you can see the rim of them below the knee. The shin gaurds go down to the ankle where his shoes are, which arent supposed to be high above the ankle type army boots. The straps are all there for a purpose bar one, the one on his upper right leg which i just kinda whacked in for consistency, but maybe it should be removed. The rest are either wrapping around the shin gaurds to hold them to the leg or for pouches, also that pouch that is on his left leg was going to be a holster (note the shape of it) but i decided against because UT2k4 by default does not have any pistol weapons and i didnt want him like carrying around a gun or something and then have him never use it, so it became a pouch. Cargo pockets might actually be a good idea for his upper arms. I was thinking about goggles but i decided against again because of the use that this model is being put to. This is going to be a model that will vary colour schemes and also facial appearance in texture so that it can be used for a team of characters, so i wanted to leave the face as exposed as possible (the balaclava is there because if mouths arent covered, i have to animate all the different mouth movements :o )

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 29/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

good setup Moon. I recommend a tactical vest as it makes all the difference in cool factor. Also a gas mask would be wicked. You can find samples in those army surplus types on the internet.
I did an urban warfare guy before so check out the basic layout.
http://www.xyzstudios.com/ftp/azza/templates/imageAssault00.htm
keep the setup clean and dont clutter up with too much gear.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/09/04 - 5:16 AM Permalink

ah, that was the magic words, "tactical vest". Searching with those words is yeilding a lot more results, thanks

Submitted by Church on Wed, 29/09/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

cool :O!

hehe biscit

cookies = counter oogly oogly krazy idiots eating sausages
.... my attempt at a cool acronym ;/

Posted by MoonUnit on

im working on creating a basic design for a model im going to make to use in a film project in UT2k4, basicly this guy is supposed to look like a sort of SWAT special forces type marine. Incase your wondering, BISCIT = Beuruo of Investigation Special Combat and Initiative Team
yeah, its comedy ;)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200492513644_teamconc1…]

[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200492513644_teamconc1…"]teamconc1.jpg[/url]
29.41 KB

comments crit greatly appreciated (btw i know hes like badly weighted and stuff, its just a design shot for the appearence of the character (ill make orthos later) and what he's wearing etc)

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 26/09/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Look SWAT like :)
have you considered making the vest appear more armoured? It currently follows the figures contours quite closely.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 26/09/04 - 9:26 PM Permalink

Looks good, but just one crit. All the straps and stuff look ver tight, like blood circulation cutting tight, prolly just make them look a bit more loose or thick so they dont look like their hugging the skin so much. But other than that great work.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:52 AM Permalink

Looks cool.

I?ve got a crit and a couple of small suggestions:

I think the feet would look better if you show the entire high cut boot, with the trouser legs tucked into the boot. The way it is now it looks like the trouser ends hang over the boot, which is very unrealistic (they don?t want their pant legs to get wet and slimy!)

My other suggestions for improvement would be to consider giving his pants cargo pockets instead of seemingly pointless straps, and maybe giving him a set of goggles, even if the goggles are just on top of his helmet, they seem to be the accessory of choice for those swat type guys.

Oh, and he should have a holstered pistol on his belt also.

Hope my suggestions help. Nice drawing [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 27/09/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

goggles or a visored helmet would be cool - you could just do an alternative head with different options to see if they might work or not. You could do the same for leg details with alt. straps and cargo pockes etc.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 28/09/04 - 12:42 AM Permalink

First of all thanks for all the comments guys :)

JohnN: yeah i figured itd be kinda tight but then again i suppose not so nescarily, i was going to make it have a sort of ribbed appearence upon texturing when made.. i may look into that (its actually hard to get good ref pics). I might do some variations as the model itself is going to be used for different characters, im not sure if im going to use texture and colour scheme for variation entirely.

Bullet21: heh heh maybe so, i dunno its supposed to be elastic which goes as tight as youll let it :P

palantir: hes actually wearing large shin gaurds, its hard to see in that drawing because i has no colour but you can see the rim of them below the knee. The shin gaurds go down to the ankle where his shoes are, which arent supposed to be high above the ankle type army boots. The straps are all there for a purpose bar one, the one on his upper right leg which i just kinda whacked in for consistency, but maybe it should be removed. The rest are either wrapping around the shin gaurds to hold them to the leg or for pouches, also that pouch that is on his left leg was going to be a holster (note the shape of it) but i decided against because UT2k4 by default does not have any pistol weapons and i didnt want him like carrying around a gun or something and then have him never use it, so it became a pouch. Cargo pockets might actually be a good idea for his upper arms. I was thinking about goggles but i decided against again because of the use that this model is being put to. This is going to be a model that will vary colour schemes and also facial appearance in texture so that it can be used for a team of characters, so i wanted to leave the face as exposed as possible (the balaclava is there because if mouths arent covered, i have to animate all the different mouth movements :o )

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 29/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

good setup Moon. I recommend a tactical vest as it makes all the difference in cool factor. Also a gas mask would be wicked. You can find samples in those army surplus types on the internet.
I did an urban warfare guy before so check out the basic layout.
http://www.xyzstudios.com/ftp/azza/templates/imageAssault00.htm
keep the setup clean and dont clutter up with too much gear.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 29/09/04 - 5:16 AM Permalink

ah, that was the magic words, "tactical vest". Searching with those words is yeilding a lot more results, thanks

Submitted by Church on Wed, 29/09/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

cool :O!

hehe biscit

cookies = counter oogly oogly krazy idiots eating sausages
.... my attempt at a cool acronym ;/