Skip to main content

Soul Calibur II vs. Dead or Alive 3

Submitted by Doord on
Forum

what do you all think.

I played Soul Calibur II for three hours last night and took a step back and ask myself this, and so far I have to say DoA 3 is by far better. But I haven't played SC 2 multiplayer and having got right into.

But come no were near DoA 3 (which would be because of the cross platform thing) but also the character animation isn't anywhere near DoA 3 which should been a cross platform problem that much. and Soul Calibur II is just Soul Calibur with the II in the title.

Any I would like to see what you all think, Soul Calibur II is by no means a bad game I would rate is very high but Soul Calibur II Vs. Dead or Alive 3, DoA 3 is the head runner for me.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 26/09/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

SC 2 and DoA3 are pretty even for me. They're unique enough that I'm not going to judge them on features that are lacking in one but present in the other. However my preference is with SC 2 and thats really only becuase I've had DOA3 for nearly a year and SC 2 is still new. Either way they're must have games to me, I've been a fan of both since I played it on dreamcast.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 26/09/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

too ture,
They are both must have games.

I'm just thinking maybe the hype over SC2 was a bit much, Anyway I can't wait to play more and get a few more hours into it and then see what I think.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 27/09/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

DoA3 has better boob physics, so it's obviously the better game!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by GooberMan on Sun, 28/09/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Blitz: Using that logic, DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball must be the greatest game ever :P

Getting back on topic... I've never really thought about comparing the two games as they do play quite differently. Visually, DOA3 probably does have the edge (especially if you look at the faces on the characters in SC2, they just don't look right), but I can't really decide which one I like better in gameplay terms. Both are definately worth getting though.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 29/09/03 - 12:05 PM Permalink

DOAXBV is the best game ever....
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 29/09/03 - 7:04 PM Permalink

I've had limited experience with DOA3, but I've had lots with the previous incarnations of the series to know that the game rewards button mashing on a scale unseen in fighting games.

Soul Calibur does to an extent as well (as does Tekken) but not like DOA series does.

General opinion at the moment is that the first SC was so good that it left very little room for improvement.

I know I find the DOA character designs uninspiring. SC designs are much more interesting, even if some of the new characters in the sequel are just old characters in new clothing.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Tue, 30/09/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

Soul Calibur has more depth in gameplay than DOA, features such as delayed moves, GI(guard impact), etc. It depends on if ur a hardcore fighting games fan or not i guess, I've been playing Tekken for nearly 5 years now, as well as a bit of VF and SC lately.. DOA really has nothing on the 3 aforementioned titles in terms of deep gameplay.. but i guess boobs and masher friendliness is also important. :D

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 30/09/03 - 7:22 PM Permalink

Jono: I would have to that the character design in DoA 3 is much better then CS 2, I really hate the look of the character in CS 2 none of them cry out I look cool use me. I did find that DoA 3 did reward button mashing when I first played it, but now I open cans on button mashing player so the problem isn't that big. Button mashing win are only bad when the better play gets beaten from it more times then not. And don't get this with DoA3 or CS2.

TequilaBomber: I don't think you have play that much DoA3 both these features are in DoA3 but not only these look at the environment in DoA3 they are interactive, from trees, slipping on ice, getting hit but coconuts, using walls in other object to do move from. Were CS2 has there level edges, wall and ground (which are all in DoA3).
I'm also a hard core fighting game fan, from the time of Street fighter 2 (no no before that I had a few amiga fighting game I play a hell of a lot.)

Anyway, I have been playing CS2 more and I'm find that the two games are very different, CS2 had a very attack, defend, attack, defend feel to it. Were DoA3 is more attack, counter, attack, counter. Which make DoA3 has more flow or anyway a different kind of flow. So now it comes more down to the type of mood we are in to which one we will play.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 01/10/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Doord

Jono: I would have to that the character design in DoA 3 is much better then CS 2, I really hate the look of the character in CS 2 none of them cry out I look cool use me. I did find that DoA 3 did reward button mashing when I first played it, but now I open cans on button mashing player so the problem isn't that big. Button mashing win are only bad when the better play gets beaten from it more times then not. And don't get this with DoA3 or CS2.

I find the designs of DOA3 very generic. The costumes are well detailed but so many of the designs (not models) seem tokenish. None of them break new ground and like many fighting games before it, they have the typical:

Old man = Gen Fu
Cool black dude = Zack
Hot chicks = Tina, Ayame etc...
Wrestler/Fat guy = Bass
Bruce Lee dude = Jan Lee

The thing is - so many other games also have these designs, but do them better. While DOA3 look techinically very impressive, they lack personality. Compare the originality of designs in SC with say, Ivy (cool whip sword), Voldo - weird but cool, Nightmare and Astaroth. Personally I find Mitsurugi very well done. Not as impressive technically, but nicer design.

To me, DOA3 designs have too much emphasis on 'sexiness'. These guys look like lovers, not fighters.

quote:TequilaBomber: I don't think you have play that much DoA3 both these features are in DoA3 but not only these look at the environment in DoA3 they are interactive, from trees, slipping on ice, getting hit but coconuts, using walls in other object to do move from. Were CS2 has there level edges, wall and ground (which are all in DoA3).

These features have all been done before DOA3. Virtua Fighter 3 did the whole 'undulating terrain, high and low areas, interactive environments' thing before any other 3d fighter. It's proof that these are gimmicky -- VF4 has gone back to simpler arenas to get that fighting game purity. While using the terrain to your advantage is an aspect of fighting games, I believe the emphasis should be on the fighters themselves. Of course, the comparison is between SC2 and DOA3, I guess.

quote:I'm also a hard core fighting game fan, from the time of Street fighter 2

Aren't we all?

I find the DOA games to have an easier learning curve which in the end prohibits the amount of depth you can get once you've scratched past the initial apparent surface. I think the depth of such games like SF2/3 (Shoryuken.com), Tekken (Zaibatsu) and VF4 (see Japan for religious following -- I cant remember the main site for fans) is reflected in their communities. Check those places out to see what real fighting game nuts are capable of.

Although this is off topic; for me 2d fighting is epitomised by the Streetfighter 3 series (old school combo mechanics with new school additions) and 3d is epitomised (depth wise) by VF4 Evolution.

I will agree with you that SC2 has not advanced enough considering how long it took for the home versions to reach consoles after the arcade release.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 01/10/03 - 9:03 PM Permalink

yeah, I do think that most fighting games have a hard time getting away from the generic characters, and SC tpyes to and comes up with a few good weapons, but I think the artist haven't come up with very cool looking character but the ideas from them are cool.

I find the DOA games to have an easier learning curve. I think there is a alot more to DoA3 then there is in game play then CS2 so far of what I have play of both game.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 01/10/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

yeah, I do think that most fighting games have a hard time getting away from the generic characters,

I think this may be due to the fact that the 'character archetypes' form the basis of game balance (probably the most important thing in a fighter).

ie - Fat guy = strong but slow.
- Chick = Fast but weaker. etc..
- Ryu type character = all round proficiency.

And so on, with variations in the different categories.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 02/10/03 - 1:21 AM Permalink

Havent played either yet.
However, I have Soul Calibur on DC and it kicks ass. I love the character and art style on the game.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 02/10/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

However, I have Soul Calibur on DC and it kicks ass. I love the character and art style on the game.

well Soul Calibur 2 is no different, so you really just haven't played DoA 3.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 03/10/03 - 10:11 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

I've had limited experience with DOA3, but I've had lots with the previous incarnations of the series to know that the game rewards button mashing on a scale unseen in fighting games.

I played against a button masher today. He was easily delt with by using blocks, quick attacks and counter attack. Button mashers usually only ever win by luck. We were playing teams(5 vs 5) so his luck rarely lasted long enough too take out my entire team. I guess if we were playing a normal vs. game it would have been different, i probably would have only won 3/4 matches.

I have to agree with the designs being generic comment. It has a "its been done" feel to it and not just becuase I've played the previous versions.

Posted by Doord on
Forum

what do you all think.

I played Soul Calibur II for three hours last night and took a step back and ask myself this, and so far I have to say DoA 3 is by far better. But I haven't played SC 2 multiplayer and having got right into.

But come no were near DoA 3 (which would be because of the cross platform thing) but also the character animation isn't anywhere near DoA 3 which should been a cross platform problem that much. and Soul Calibur II is just Soul Calibur with the II in the title.

Any I would like to see what you all think, Soul Calibur II is by no means a bad game I would rate is very high but Soul Calibur II Vs. Dead or Alive 3, DoA 3 is the head runner for me.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 26/09/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

SC 2 and DoA3 are pretty even for me. They're unique enough that I'm not going to judge them on features that are lacking in one but present in the other. However my preference is with SC 2 and thats really only becuase I've had DOA3 for nearly a year and SC 2 is still new. Either way they're must have games to me, I've been a fan of both since I played it on dreamcast.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 26/09/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

too ture,
They are both must have games.

I'm just thinking maybe the hype over SC2 was a bit much, Anyway I can't wait to play more and get a few more hours into it and then see what I think.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 27/09/03 - 7:13 AM Permalink

DoA3 has better boob physics, so it's obviously the better game!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by GooberMan on Sun, 28/09/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Blitz: Using that logic, DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball must be the greatest game ever :P

Getting back on topic... I've never really thought about comparing the two games as they do play quite differently. Visually, DOA3 probably does have the edge (especially if you look at the faces on the characters in SC2, they just don't look right), but I can't really decide which one I like better in gameplay terms. Both are definately worth getting though.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 29/09/03 - 12:05 PM Permalink

DOAXBV is the best game ever....
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 29/09/03 - 7:04 PM Permalink

Soul Calibur does to an extent as well (as does Tekken) but not like DOA series does.

General opinion at the moment is that the first SC was so good that it left very little room for improvement.

I know I find the DOA character designs uninspiring. SC designs are much more interesting, even if some of the new characters in the sequel are just old characters in new clothing.

Submitted by TequilaBomber on Tue, 30/09/03 - 6:53 AM Permalink

Soul Calibur has more depth in gameplay than DOA, features such as delayed moves, GI(guard impact), etc. It depends on if ur a hardcore fighting games fan or not i guess, I've been playing Tekken for nearly 5 years now, as well as a bit of VF and SC lately.. DOA really has nothing on the 3 aforementioned titles in terms of deep gameplay.. but i guess boobs and masher friendliness is also important. :D

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 30/09/03 - 7:22 PM Permalink

TequilaBomber: I don't think you have play that much DoA3 both these features are in DoA3 but not only these look at the environment in DoA3 they are interactive, from trees, slipping on ice, getting hit but coconuts, using walls in other object to do move from. Were CS2 has there level edges, wall and ground (which are all in DoA3).
I'm also a hard core fighting game fan, from the time of Street fighter 2 (no no before that I had a few amiga fighting game I play a hell of a lot.)

Anyway, I have been playing CS2 more and I'm find that the two games are very different, CS2 had a very attack, defend, attack, defend feel to it. Were DoA3 is more attack, counter, attack, counter. Which make DoA3 has more flow or anyway a different kind of flow. So now it comes more down to the type of mood we are in to which one we will play.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 01/10/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

I find the designs of DOA3 very generic. The costumes are well detailed but so many of the designs (not models) seem tokenish. None of them break new ground and like many fighting games before it, they have the typical:

Old man = Gen Fu
Cool black dude = Zack
Hot chicks = Tina, Ayame etc...
Wrestler/Fat guy = Bass
Bruce Lee dude = Jan Lee

The thing is - so many other games also have these designs, but do them better. While DOA3 look techinically very impressive, they lack personality. Compare the originality of designs in SC with say, Ivy (cool whip sword), Voldo - weird but cool, Nightmare and Astaroth. Personally I find Mitsurugi very well done. Not as impressive technically, but nicer design.

To me, DOA3 designs have too much emphasis on 'sexiness'. These guys look like lovers, not fighters.

quote:TequilaBomber: I don't think you have play that much DoA3 both these features are in DoA3 but not only these look at the environment in DoA3 they are interactive, from trees, slipping on ice, getting hit but coconuts, using walls in other object to do move from. Were CS2 has there level edges, wall and ground (which are all in DoA3).

These features have all been done before DOA3. Virtua Fighter 3 did the whole 'undulating terrain, high and low areas, interactive environments' thing before any other 3d fighter. It's proof that these are gimmicky -- VF4 has gone back to simpler arenas to get that fighting game purity. While using the terrain to your advantage is an aspect of fighting games, I believe the emphasis should be on the fighters themselves. Of course, the comparison is between SC2 and DOA3, I guess.

quote:I'm also a hard core fighting game fan, from the time of Street fighter 2

Aren't we all?

I find the DOA games to have an easier learning curve which in the end prohibits the amount of depth you can get once you've scratched past the initial apparent surface. I think the depth of such games like SF2/3 (Shoryuken.com), Tekken (Zaibatsu) and VF4 (see Japan for religious following -- I cant remember the main site for fans) is reflected in their communities. Check those places out to see what real fighting game nuts are capable of.

Although this is off topic; for me 2d fighting is epitomised by the Streetfighter 3 series (old school combo mechanics with new school additions) and 3d is epitomised (depth wise) by VF4 Evolution.

I will agree with you that SC2 has not advanced enough considering how long it took for the home versions to reach consoles after the arcade release.

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 01/10/03 - 9:03 PM Permalink

yeah, I do think that most fighting games have a hard time getting away from the generic characters, and SC tpyes to and comes up with a few good weapons, but I think the artist haven't come up with very cool looking character but the ideas from them are cool.

I find the DOA games to have an easier learning curve. I think there is a alot more to DoA3 then there is in game play then CS2 so far of what I have play of both game.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 01/10/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

yeah, I do think that most fighting games have a hard time getting away from the generic characters,

I think this may be due to the fact that the 'character archetypes' form the basis of game balance (probably the most important thing in a fighter).

ie - Fat guy = strong but slow.
- Chick = Fast but weaker. etc..
- Ryu type character = all round proficiency.

And so on, with variations in the different categories.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 02/10/03 - 1:21 AM Permalink

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 02/10/03 - 8:37 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

well Soul Calibur 2 is no different, so you really just haven't played DoA 3.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Fri, 03/10/03 - 10:11 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JonathanKerr

I played against a button masher today. He was easily delt with by using blocks, quick attacks and counter attack. Button mashers usually only ever win by luck. We were playing teams(5 vs 5) so his luck rarely lasted long enough too take out my entire team. I guess if we were playing a normal vs. game it would have been different, i probably would have only won 3/4 matches.

I have to agree with the designs being generic comment. It has a "its been done" feel to it and not just becuase I've played the previous versions.