Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- Ninja - Challenger #14

Submitted by Ninja on

[8D]Hi all,

I dunno if im gonna have time to finish this but might as well join in just in case [:D]

Anyways here is my concept. Just to note now that he's appearance could change because i am going for a realistic looking devil instead of a anime type. Also he will have intricate details on his back/ spinal cords coming out of his back with wings. Sorry i did't draw it properly but oh wells you will see it on the final model.[:p]

Dunno when im gonna start modelling but hopefully sometime during september [:)]

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_1sumea4.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:11 AM Permalink

cool

your style is similar to the concept artist for the parasytic moon project www.parasyticmoon.com

looks cool, will be interesting to see how you de-manga-fy it in your model

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:09 PM Permalink

LOL his style is 10x better than mine [:)] but thank u sorceror bob [:)]
Yeah it will be hard to de-manga-fy but ill try my best...

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Very cool, I like the muted colours.
Glad you decided to join up man.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 26/08/03 - 9:00 PM Permalink

It would be an injustice if you didn't finish this for the challenge. That is one very nice looking concept [:)] Would be awesome if you modelled the proportions like that.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

It would be an injustice if you didn't finish this for the challenge. That is one very nice looking concept [:)] Would be awesome if you modelled the proportions like that.

I agree. The proportions work well (although the perspective of the hands is a wee bit off). There's plenty of realistic demons in this challenge, a manga one wouldn't go amiss. Besides, I think part of the challenge is how close you stick to your concept. ie - as Malus put it, if you draw a realistic demon and then put forth a 4 foot dwarf, you could lose some marks (potentially).

Nice colouring style.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

I agree, keep it like the concept. It has a really cool feel to it.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

hehe Thankx Dean, Souri & jonathon [:)] Ill start modelling during september..... right now me too busy [:(] im just putting in little bits of time on it....

I will model the proportions exactly the same.... i just wish i drew the add ons at the back of him to show the rest of the detail..... Dean do i loose points for that ??? if i didnt draw it in the concept ? or do u guys want a better visualization on how he is gonna look like in the back view ?

once again thankx.....

Chris... [:)]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Great concept, I really like the colours you chose.
Hope to see it modelled and textured :)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

I doubt anyone would deduct points from you for that man.

Also the voting is based on more than one person so it would only be voted as a negative if that person thought you didn't adhere to your original concept, not just if I didn't. [:P]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Looking SWEEEEET! I really like your manga style Chris! I think you should stick with it and stay away from a realistic looking character. If it is modelled according to the concept, it is gonna look damn cool! Looking forward to it...

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:11 PM Permalink

kool thank u dean [:)]

thankx makk....

War-head i would love to stik to the manga theme but unfortunately these days and for some weired reason i heard that a lot of games companies hate anime type of 3d models..... so im gonna try something a bit new but i wont stray from the actual concept.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:36 PM Permalink

quote:[

War-head i would love to stik to the manga theme but unfortunately these days and for some weired reason i heard that a lot of games companies hate anime type of 3d models..... so im gonna try something a bit new but i wont stray from the actual concept.

That might be true, but I think that's due to a whole glut of wanna-be manga artists floating around who can't do anything aside from manga. 1 manga style and modelled mesh probably wouldn't hurt - it would show an ability to create assets in something that is not just realistic. Think about all the cartoony games out there - there are certain principles crossing over between them. Things like exaggerated size & proportions and facial feature expressions are similar in any style of cartoon rendering.

I do wonder if companys apathy towards manga style is limited to the Western companies. There's something about western manga that doesn't quite have the same vibe or look. I don't claim to be any expert on Japanese anime (although I've watched a few in my time) but I've yet to see a western company do a good take on Japanimation. Bungie did Oni - but even that wasn't quite 'right'. But don't let that put you off - it was more of an observation than anything else.

If you could render a model the way you've coloured your concept, I'd be pretty impressed. I'd like to see a watercolour style of textures. Even though there's a few anatomical issues with your concept, I think the colours give it a lot of 'flavour' and your own feel.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 12:49 AM Permalink

well jonathon u guys know my style as you would have seen in sumea challenge #3 and i have heaps of models that are in manga style...(which u will see on my coming website). So i think it is time for me to go for different flavours cause i am one of those wanna-be manga artists who had been doing manga all their life [:)]

and yes i can paint it exactly the way ive painted it on the concept but like i said i will try a realistic look for a change [:)] which i doubt he'll be changing much of his appearance.

thankx for the crits on me concept [:)] i know he does have heaps of anatomical issues and i will work on it on the model [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 28/08/03 - 8:44 PM Permalink

WoW!@#! Ninja, I had no idea you were such a talented 2d artist. That concept blows me away, I really like it. Even though it's in a manga style, your colouring method is still quite original.

With the addition of wings, he should look demonic enough. I hope you texture him in a simlar method. It would be great to have the same dreamlike quality in the final render.

Good luck with it.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 28/08/03 - 9:37 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Ionized

WoW!@#! Ninja, I had no idea you were such a talented 2d artist. That concept blows me away, I really like it. Even though it's in a manga style, your colouring method is still quite original.

With the addition of wings, he should look demonic enough. I hope you texture him in a simlar method. It would be great to have the same dreamlike quality in the final render.

Good luck with it.

I agree. I'm trying to work out what it is that gives it that dreamy 'surreal' quality. I think that it's that there are no black outlines, most of the outlines are the colour of the inside colour - almost like an overlay.

Did you mostly use the airbrush tool for this? It would be good to see the texture the same way. I once saw an 'elven samurai' on either polycount or cgtalk and the pastel coloured texture just blew me away.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Actually that is my first experiment with the wacom tablet i bought as u can see im still a noobie with those improper brush strokes [:(] i used a lot of the smudge tool, burn and dodge.

Now the trick is using a softlight layer effect and a mix of colours that compliments its base colours. It is important to mix colours or else the image is flat. For the finally i added the luminance glow effect to have that hazy luminace glow feel on the specular highlights.

BTW : thankx ionized [:)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 04/09/03 - 12:29 PM Permalink

blinks, interesting method, particularraliy if it gets you something that looks as good as your concept.

have been moving towards painting as much as possible on the same layer to try and get some more control over what things look like... (though still use and abuse the smudge tool and hard edge erasers)

so, do you think you are going to have time to model it?

DSC

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 04/09/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

thankx dave....[:)] i will get time to model it hopefully ill start soon...

Chris...[:)]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 05/09/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Hey Chris, If you haven't started the model yet, here's a quote that I found RE:'manga style characters'...

"I would love nothing more than to create an entire game filled with anime and manga characters. A consistent, stylized (yet realistic) universe that has 3D characters built and animated in this style would make people's jaws drop. The challenge of making characters that would consistently fit that sort of style would also test the mettle of any 3D artist."

-Paul Steed (a man who knows his shit when it comes to 3D character modelling), Modeling A Character In 3DS Max

Well... Hope that gives you something to think about!

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 06/09/03 - 1:28 AM Permalink

hehe i would love that too warhead [:)] exactly the same vision as Paul Steed (he rawks). Ill think about it but its all down to texturing ill see if i can do one manga shaded (my style [:)]) and try for a realistic texture shade. Im still quite crap at texturing and i got a long way to go.

thank u

chris...[:)]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 22/09/03 - 7:03 AM Permalink

Hi guys [8D]

i managed to find some time this weekend to model and unwrap[:0] i pretty much broke my ballz to do it... Oh by the way unfortuantely i cant do any more to the model cause i dun have anymore time to waste on it and i think ive optimised it enough. But i would love feedbacks and heavy crits [:)] im pretty sure someone will spot flaws, that i have missed. Also take note that some proportions to the concept have changed like the thick arms and hands. But everything still remains the same along with the additional wings and parts of the huge vertabraes exposing on his back...

chris.... [:)]

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_2sumea4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_3sumea4.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 22/09/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

yeah! thats nice. I dig the big weapons and stylish armour.
Now, are you going to make him "dark" with the texture?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 22/09/03 - 6:06 PM Permalink

You sure can do those anime style models. Looks great, very dynamic and lots of character.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 22/09/03 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Great stuff Chris, can we get a close up of the head?

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 22/09/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

thankx guys. ill upload the head snapshots tonite.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Mon, 22/09/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

Nice work man! However, the feet seem a little out of proportion with the rest of the model. They look a lot bigger in the concept, which I think suits the exaggerated style of the character. Other than that, looking sweet!

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 23/09/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

This is looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing this one textured [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:20 AM Permalink

great job. looking forward to texture as well :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Looking great Ninja

very stylised, in your usual strong and confident way. Although I have to agree with Cheryl about how this could've been a very good opportunity to break from that mold to experiment with a bit of diversity in your design, I also think it's a very unique piece unto itself which carries over into the character well.

In terms of crits, it seems to lack an imposing presence I would personally associate with a lord/big bad guy/badass; seems to lend itself more to the upstanding Korean hero type [:)]

Only other thing would be the mesh cuts, especially in the face area - it's looking "pulled" instead of conforming to the surface curvature - it's not just a poly wastage problem, as it can also affect bad vertex lighting, and form so be wary of that. Otherwise, fantastic job :)

Posted by Ninja on

[8D]Hi all,

I dunno if im gonna have time to finish this but might as well join in just in case [:D]

Anyways here is my concept. Just to note now that he's appearance could change because i am going for a realistic looking devil instead of a anime type. Also he will have intricate details on his back/ spinal cords coming out of his back with wings. Sorry i did't draw it properly but oh wells you will see it on the final model.[:p]

Dunno when im gonna start modelling but hopefully sometime during september [:)]

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_1sumea4.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:11 AM Permalink

cool

your style is similar to the concept artist for the parasytic moon project www.parasyticmoon.com

looks cool, will be interesting to see how you de-manga-fy it in your model

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:09 PM Permalink

LOL his style is 10x better than mine [:)] but thank u sorceror bob [:)]
Yeah it will be hard to de-manga-fy but ill try my best...

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Very cool, I like the muted colours.
Glad you decided to join up man.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 26/08/03 - 9:00 PM Permalink

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 26/08/03 - 10:44 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I agree. The proportions work well (although the perspective of the hands is a wee bit off). There's plenty of realistic demons in this challenge, a manga one wouldn't go amiss. Besides, I think part of the challenge is how close you stick to your concept. ie - as Malus put it, if you draw a realistic demon and then put forth a 4 foot dwarf, you could lose some marks (potentially).

Nice colouring style.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 26/08/03 - 11:03 PM Permalink

I agree, keep it like the concept. It has a really cool feel to it.

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:08 AM Permalink

hehe Thankx Dean, Souri & jonathon [:)] Ill start modelling during september..... right now me too busy [:(] im just putting in little bits of time on it....

I will model the proportions exactly the same.... i just wish i drew the add ons at the back of him to show the rest of the detail..... Dean do i loose points for that ??? if i didnt draw it in the concept ? or do u guys want a better visualization on how he is gonna look like in the back view ?

once again thankx.....

Chris... [:)]

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 27/08/03 - 2:14 AM Permalink

Great concept, I really like the colours you chose.
Hope to see it modelled and textured :)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

I doubt anyone would deduct points from you for that man.

Also the voting is based on more than one person so it would only be voted as a negative if that person thought you didn't adhere to your original concept, not just if I didn't. [:P]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Looking SWEEEEET! I really like your manga style Chris! I think you should stick with it and stay away from a realistic looking character. If it is modelled according to the concept, it is gonna look damn cool! Looking forward to it...

Submitted by Ninja on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:11 PM Permalink

kool thank u dean [:)]

thankx makk....

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:36 PM Permalink

quote:[

That might be true, but I think that's due to a whole glut of wanna-be manga artists floating around who can't do anything aside from manga. 1 manga style and modelled mesh probably wouldn't hurt - it would show an ability to create assets in something that is not just realistic. Think about all the cartoony games out there - there are certain principles crossing over between them. Things like exaggerated size & proportions and facial feature expressions are similar in any style of cartoon rendering.

I do wonder if companys apathy towards manga style is limited to the Western companies. There's something about western manga that doesn't quite have the same vibe or look. I don't claim to be any expert on Japanese anime (although I've watched a few in my time) but I've yet to see a western company do a good take on Japanimation. Bungie did Oni - but even that wasn't quite 'right'. But don't let that put you off - it was more of an observation than anything else.

If you could render a model the way you've coloured your concept, I'd be pretty impressed. I'd like to see a watercolour style of textures. Even though there's a few anatomical issues with your concept, I think the colours give it a lot of 'flavour' and your own feel.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 12:49 AM Permalink

well jonathon u guys know my style as you would have seen in sumea challenge #3 and i have heaps of models that are in manga style...(which u will see on my coming website). So i think it is time for me to go for different flavours cause i am one of those wanna-be manga artists who had been doing manga all their life [:)]

and yes i can paint it exactly the way ive painted it on the concept but like i said i will try a realistic look for a change [:)] which i doubt he'll be changing much of his appearance.

thankx for the crits on me concept [:)] i know he does have heaps of anatomical issues and i will work on it on the model [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 28/08/03 - 8:44 PM Permalink

Good luck with it.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 28/08/03 - 9:37 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Ionized

Good luck with it.

I agree. I'm trying to work out what it is that gives it that dreamy 'surreal' quality. I think that it's that there are no black outlines, most of the outlines are the colour of the inside colour - almost like an overlay.

Did you mostly use the airbrush tool for this? It would be good to see the texture the same way. I once saw an 'elven samurai' on either polycount or cgtalk and the pastel coloured texture just blew me away.

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Actually that is my first experiment with the wacom tablet i bought as u can see im still a noobie with those improper brush strokes [:(] i used a lot of the smudge tool, burn and dodge.

Now the trick is using a softlight layer effect and a mix of colours that compliments its base colours. It is important to mix colours or else the image is flat. For the finally i added the luminance glow effect to have that hazy luminace glow feel on the specular highlights.

BTW : thankx ionized [:)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 04/09/03 - 12:29 PM Permalink

blinks, interesting method, particularraliy if it gets you something that looks as good as your concept.

have been moving towards painting as much as possible on the same layer to try and get some more control over what things look like... (though still use and abuse the smudge tool and hard edge erasers)

so, do you think you are going to have time to model it?

DSC

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 04/09/03 - 8:30 PM Permalink

thankx dave....[:)] i will get time to model it hopefully ill start soon...

Chris...[:)]

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Fri, 05/09/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Hey Chris, If you haven't started the model yet, here's a quote that I found RE:'manga style characters'...

"I would love nothing more than to create an entire game filled with anime and manga characters. A consistent, stylized (yet realistic) universe that has 3D characters built and animated in this style would make people's jaws drop. The challenge of making characters that would consistently fit that sort of style would also test the mettle of any 3D artist."

-Paul Steed (a man who knows his shit when it comes to 3D character modelling), Modeling A Character In 3DS Max

Well... Hope that gives you something to think about!

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 06/09/03 - 1:28 AM Permalink

hehe i would love that too warhead [:)] exactly the same vision as Paul Steed (he rawks). Ill think about it but its all down to texturing ill see if i can do one manga shaded (my style [:)]) and try for a realistic texture shade. Im still quite crap at texturing and i got a long way to go.

thank u

chris...[:)]

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 22/09/03 - 7:03 AM Permalink

Hi guys [8D]

i managed to find some time this weekend to model and unwrap[:0] i pretty much broke my ballz to do it... Oh by the way unfortuantely i cant do any more to the model cause i dun have anymore time to waste on it and i think ive optimised it enough. But i would love feedbacks and heavy crits [:)] im pretty sure someone will spot flaws, that i have missed. Also take note that some proportions to the concept have changed like the thick arms and hands. But everything still remains the same along with the additional wings and parts of the huge vertabraes exposing on his back...

chris.... [:)]

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_2sumea4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/wip_3sumea4.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 22/09/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

yeah! thats nice. I dig the big weapons and stylish armour.
Now, are you going to make him "dark" with the texture?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 22/09/03 - 6:06 PM Permalink

You sure can do those anime style models. Looks great, very dynamic and lots of character.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 22/09/03 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Great stuff Chris, can we get a close up of the head?

Submitted by Ninja on Mon, 22/09/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

thankx guys. ill upload the head snapshots tonite.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Mon, 22/09/03 - 10:31 PM Permalink

Nice work man! However, the feet seem a little out of proportion with the rest of the model. They look a lot bigger in the concept, which I think suits the exaggerated style of the character. Other than that, looking sweet!

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 23/09/03 - 1:20 AM Permalink

This is looking great. I'm looking forward to seeing this one textured [:)]

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 23/09/03 - 7:20 AM Permalink

great job. looking forward to texture as well :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 23/09/03 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Looking great Ninja

very stylised, in your usual strong and confident way. Although I have to agree with Cheryl about how this could've been a very good opportunity to break from that mold to experiment with a bit of diversity in your design, I also think it's a very unique piece unto itself which carries over into the character well.

In terms of crits, it seems to lack an imposing presence I would personally associate with a lord/big bad guy/badass; seems to lend itself more to the upstanding Korean hero type [:)]

Only other thing would be the mesh cuts, especially in the face area - it's looking "pulled" instead of conforming to the surface curvature - it's not just a poly wastage problem, as it can also affect bad vertex lighting, and form so be wary of that. Otherwise, fantastic job :)