Skip to main content

I can unwrap primitives but......

Submitted by Mr Garbage on
Forum

Hi all, I know there are bucket loads of tuts on uvw unwrapping but something unusual is happening when i do it, or im just missing a step...I know someone on this forum has skills and can help.

ok..
Im using max5 and learning the ropes of unwrapping, Ive followed many tuts on how to unwrapp a simple box cylinder and how to get a flattened bitmap using texporter and then painting it up, which is is no problem.

BUT... I thought I would apply the above technnique and try to unwrap a model ive just finished of a goodwill type of bin(the ones people donate clothes etc.. , you know the one that are slighlty rectangular...
Well this is how i wen about unwrapping it.

1. I selected all faces gave it a material id of 1.
2.Added a edit mesh, selected the front faces of the bin, assigned material id 2.
3.Added a planer uvw map - fit.
4.Added a Unwrap UVW - clicked edit then...
SOMETHING WIERED HAPPENS.

The selected uvws are forced to the shape of the square.
Instead of it appearing as the way it looks in the perspective window.
What I want is the uvw to appear in the same shape as the model which is rectangular(not square) so I can paint it without it stretching.

As I said above I have no problem unwrapping boxs, cylinders, but the uvw editor is forcing my selected uvw into its window instead of appearing the way it actually is.

a little frustrated.

your healp would be great,

cheers.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 25/09/05 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Ok, you'd be better off just putting an Unwrap UVW straight on top of your base mesh, going into face select in your Unwrap, select a face, then click the Planar map button on your unwrap, this will keep the proportions of your selected face intact.

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Wed, 05/10/05 - 11:42 PM Permalink

thanks for the info, I tried your method but which works for one side of the mesh, but when I the other side of uvs and click planar map my unwrap looks as though it has changed to the left postion. and cannot keep them all flat as I can do with the other method???

What am I doing wrong?

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

hmm u need to post some pics of whats wrong... sound like u dont realy understand mapping fully.. maybe [?]..or u could try this just add uunwap to the orig file click edit amd in the tools menue select pack UVs.. just use the defult setting for now [;)].. and all the mapiing u have applyd will be layed out for u to see clearly.I think this is your problem ..hope this helps , if not pics please [B)]

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:09 AM Permalink

I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Adie I have been trying to figure this out for a long time and sincerely appreciate it.

Pack uvs, then select flatten mapping!

YEOWWWWW!

Im now going to mapp the world...mwa hahahaha!

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:48 AM Permalink

cool.. glad i could help [8)] and im glad u could read my bad typing too.. have fun

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:50 AM Permalink

cool.. glad i could help [8)] and im glad u could read my bad typing too [xx(].. have maptapulous fun

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Fri, 07/10/05 - 5:15 AM Permalink

thanks again dude.
Ive mapped half of my clothing bin and its all fine.
A couple of things you might be able to answer.

1. When its flattens the mapping it pull it all apart , can i then while in the uvw edit mode stich up the various bits and retain the mapping, so i have less seems?

Can I use this method for characters etc?

Any advice or tuts that you know of that can help me do this kind of mapping would be great.

Submitted by adie on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:33 AM Permalink

yes u can stich the bits of mappin together.. using the stich tool and edge selection ..Its probly best u read the tutorial on uvunwarp in the max help... it shows u how to use the difernt tools it has...using the stich tool is one of them..sory got to got to bed now dont have time to go into it now .. maybe tomorrow if u havent read the help by then

Forum

Hi all, I know there are bucket loads of tuts on uvw unwrapping but something unusual is happening when i do it, or im just missing a step...I know someone on this forum has skills and can help.

ok..
Im using max5 and learning the ropes of unwrapping, Ive followed many tuts on how to unwrapp a simple box cylinder and how to get a flattened bitmap using texporter and then painting it up, which is is no problem.

BUT... I thought I would apply the above technnique and try to unwrap a model ive just finished of a goodwill type of bin(the ones people donate clothes etc.. , you know the one that are slighlty rectangular...
Well this is how i wen about unwrapping it.

1. I selected all faces gave it a material id of 1.
2.Added a edit mesh, selected the front faces of the bin, assigned material id 2.
3.Added a planer uvw map - fit.
4.Added a Unwrap UVW - clicked edit then...
SOMETHING WIERED HAPPENS.

The selected uvws are forced to the shape of the square.
Instead of it appearing as the way it looks in the perspective window.
What I want is the uvw to appear in the same shape as the model which is rectangular(not square) so I can paint it without it stretching.

As I said above I have no problem unwrapping boxs, cylinders, but the uvw editor is forcing my selected uvw into its window instead of appearing the way it actually is.

a little frustrated.

your healp would be great,

cheers.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sun, 25/09/05 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Ok, you'd be better off just putting an Unwrap UVW straight on top of your base mesh, going into face select in your Unwrap, select a face, then click the Planar map button on your unwrap, this will keep the proportions of your selected face intact.

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Wed, 05/10/05 - 11:42 PM Permalink

thanks for the info, I tried your method but which works for one side of the mesh, but when I the other side of uvs and click planar map my unwrap looks as though it has changed to the left postion. and cannot keep them all flat as I can do with the other method???

What am I doing wrong?

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

hmm u need to post some pics of whats wrong... sound like u dont realy understand mapping fully.. maybe [?]..or u could try this just add uunwap to the orig file click edit amd in the tools menue select pack UVs.. just use the defult setting for now [;)].. and all the mapiing u have applyd will be layed out for u to see clearly.I think this is your problem ..hope this helps , if not pics please [B)]

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:09 AM Permalink

I GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Adie I have been trying to figure this out for a long time and sincerely appreciate it.

Pack uvs, then select flatten mapping!

YEOWWWWW!

Im now going to mapp the world...mwa hahahaha!

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:48 AM Permalink

cool.. glad i could help [8)] and im glad u could read my bad typing too.. have fun

Submitted by adie on Thu, 06/10/05 - 7:50 AM Permalink

cool.. glad i could help [8)] and im glad u could read my bad typing too [xx(].. have maptapulous fun

Submitted by Mr Garbage on Fri, 07/10/05 - 5:15 AM Permalink

thanks again dude.
Ive mapped half of my clothing bin and its all fine.
A couple of things you might be able to answer.

1. When its flattens the mapping it pull it all apart , can i then while in the uvw edit mode stich up the various bits and retain the mapping, so i have less seems?

Can I use this method for characters etc?

Any advice or tuts that you know of that can help me do this kind of mapping would be great.

Submitted by adie on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:33 AM Permalink

yes u can stich the bits of mappin together.. using the stich tool and edge selection ..Its probly best u read the tutorial on uvunwarp in the max help... it shows u how to use the difernt tools it has...using the stich tool is one of them..sory got to got to bed now dont have time to go into it now .. maybe tomorrow if u havent read the help by then