Skip to main content

S.T.A.L.K.E.R environment effects

Submitted by ScORCHo on
Forum

If anyone hasnt seen this latest video showing the environment effects in STAlKER...I would suggest downloading it. Beautiful!!

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=news&id=85&s=news&page=0

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 24/11/03 - 6:07 PM Permalink

Okay. I'll reply. Downloaded it. Does anyone know if that is how it's cloud effects work? I was expecting smooth moving clouds that actually disperse and gather. Instead it is a series of pics that just fade in and out. They also aren't that closely timed together. It ends up looking a little odd.

The rest of the engine does look incredibly nice though. Gameplay looks like it should be very interesting as well.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Mon, 24/11/03 - 8:22 PM Permalink

The time is sped up in the video, so the clouds might not be that noticeable when it is run in at normal time. I seriously cant wait for this game, its going to be amazing...

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 24/11/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah that video is awesome. Actually Stalker was on display at the AGDC, it was just a fly through but it looked damn good, especially on a 21 inch LCD Monitor :) The guy wouldnt let me play it :(

Submitted by souri on Fri, 28/11/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

Funny you should mention environmental effects. My friend showed me a report/article from Siggraph showing diagrams, math equations, and explanations on doing realistic clouds, just the other week. Some absolutely incredible images of realistic looking soft clouds with frame shots showing them disperse/grow, and also lighting effects on them. You know how you see the edges of clouds lighten up (since it's less dense) when the sun shines through them? That kinda stuff.
I seriously can't wait to see games do these kinds of things in years to come. One day we'll laugh about the times when games used skyboxs with textures for the sky. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 28/11/03 - 7:56 AM Permalink

Yeah a friend bought that one into the AIE early last year. Along with some awesome GI, Smoke effects and fluid dynamics. We really are just starting to scratch the surface of what is really posible. The next few years are just going to be brilliant :D

Posted by ScORCHo on
Forum

If anyone hasnt seen this latest video showing the environment effects in STAlKER...I would suggest downloading it. Beautiful!!

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=news&id=85&s=news&page=0

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 24/11/03 - 6:07 PM Permalink

Okay. I'll reply. Downloaded it. Does anyone know if that is how it's cloud effects work? I was expecting smooth moving clouds that actually disperse and gather. Instead it is a series of pics that just fade in and out. They also aren't that closely timed together. It ends up looking a little odd.

The rest of the engine does look incredibly nice though. Gameplay looks like it should be very interesting as well.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Mon, 24/11/03 - 8:22 PM Permalink

The time is sped up in the video, so the clouds might not be that noticeable when it is run in at normal time. I seriously cant wait for this game, its going to be amazing...

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Mon, 24/11/03 - 11:19 PM Permalink

Yeah that video is awesome. Actually Stalker was on display at the AGDC, it was just a fly through but it looked damn good, especially on a 21 inch LCD Monitor :) The guy wouldnt let me play it :(

Submitted by souri on Fri, 28/11/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

Funny you should mention environmental effects. My friend showed me a report/article from Siggraph showing diagrams, math equations, and explanations on doing realistic clouds, just the other week. Some absolutely incredible images of realistic looking soft clouds with frame shots showing them disperse/grow, and also lighting effects on them. You know how you see the edges of clouds lighten up (since it's less dense) when the sun shines through them? That kinda stuff.
I seriously can't wait to see games do these kinds of things in years to come. One day we'll laugh about the times when games used skyboxs with textures for the sky. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 28/11/03 - 7:56 AM Permalink

Yeah a friend bought that one into the AIE early last year. Along with some awesome GI, Smoke effects and fluid dynamics. We really are just starting to scratch the surface of what is really posible. The next few years are just going to be brilliant :D