Skip to main content

quadro cards

Submitted by Me109 on
Forum

I'm thinking about getting a quadro fx1100 for a $1000.. just not sure if I can justify the expense.. what do you guys think???

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 24/09/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

If you need fast rendering speed - go for it [:)] - otherwise for general pushing of polygons and playing games in one I'd spend that $1000 on a 6800 Ultra / x800 Extreme Edition anyday.

If you are going for a dual cpu setup etc and you have that kinda cash to spend - then id probably go for the Quadro as well. But if its an allround machine then yeah, definately see above :)

Submitted by IronhideNT on Fri, 24/09/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Hey, I've got a Quadro FX 500 to use with Maya.

I don't know about faster rendering, cause I thought that was more reliant on your processor, but to keep you sane in a 3D app by all means go for it! Doing stuff like painting objects whether it be effects or skin weights are so responsive.

Try to find it cheaper on Ebay (Americans seem to sell them a lot). Of course it depends on what you want to use it for, but if your planning to be hardcore 3D, its the only way to go.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 24/09/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

Thx!! yeah I know all about how much better your life can become with a quadro.. its on my wish list!! cept my only concern is getting mediocre gaming performance... I wish I wish one card could do it all!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 24/09/04 - 4:54 AM Permalink

Sorry yeah I meant rendering to screen whilst in a 3d app - not actually rendering for animation or such. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 25/09/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming just get a decent consumer card, only get those "workstation" cards if 90% of the time spent on that computer will be doing 3d models that are very detailed.

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:51 AM Permalink

yeah thought I'd hold out at the moment.. might looking at purchasing a second monitor instead :D .. none of my scenes are getting complicated enough to chug my existing card..

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 27/09/04 - 7:47 AM Permalink

Lol then welcome to the LCD Vs CRT dillema [:P]

Submitted by Delmo on Mon, 27/09/04 - 8:21 AM Permalink

If u ask me I think quadros aren't worth the price. The studio that I was freelancing for bought a quadro 1100 to handle the complex scene we where working on. We did tests on the card and the differences are minimal compared to a FX 5700 card. We soon after returned the card. I bought a 6800 GT XFX which can be clocked close to an Ultra without risk of harming the card, which I got for 850 and u can get just a regular 6800 for 700. That's what I recommend or go all out and get a proffesional wildcat, but they can be quite pricy. I think the quadro is a card to rip off big companys with alot of money. Then again I read people on cgtalk say they get great performance out of it. Hope that helps.

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

yeah were getting a couple here in at work for the modellers.. the city scenes theyre working on a large and fat! As far as animation is concerned were hitting the upper limits of performance, but some simple optimisation brings it back into the fold... :D

Yeah as far as getting a new monitor is concerned.. got a nice 19" Hitachi crt.. I've always had my eye on the black 17" mitsubishi LCD.. look nice and sexy... probably wait until the new year until I make a purchase thou...

thx for everyone input on the quadro! cheers!!![:0]

Posted by Me109 on
Forum

I'm thinking about getting a quadro fx1100 for a $1000.. just not sure if I can justify the expense.. what do you guys think???

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 24/09/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

If you need fast rendering speed - go for it [:)] - otherwise for general pushing of polygons and playing games in one I'd spend that $1000 on a 6800 Ultra / x800 Extreme Edition anyday.

If you are going for a dual cpu setup etc and you have that kinda cash to spend - then id probably go for the Quadro as well. But if its an allround machine then yeah, definately see above :)

Submitted by IronhideNT on Fri, 24/09/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Hey, I've got a Quadro FX 500 to use with Maya.

I don't know about faster rendering, cause I thought that was more reliant on your processor, but to keep you sane in a 3D app by all means go for it! Doing stuff like painting objects whether it be effects or skin weights are so responsive.

Try to find it cheaper on Ebay (Americans seem to sell them a lot). Of course it depends on what you want to use it for, but if your planning to be hardcore 3D, its the only way to go.

Submitted by Me109 on Fri, 24/09/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

Thx!! yeah I know all about how much better your life can become with a quadro.. its on my wish list!! cept my only concern is getting mediocre gaming performance... I wish I wish one card could do it all!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 24/09/04 - 4:54 AM Permalink

Sorry yeah I meant rendering to screen whilst in a 3d app - not actually rendering for animation or such. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 25/09/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming just get a decent consumer card, only get those "workstation" cards if 90% of the time spent on that computer will be doing 3d models that are very detailed.

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:51 AM Permalink

yeah thought I'd hold out at the moment.. might looking at purchasing a second monitor instead :D .. none of my scenes are getting complicated enough to chug my existing card..

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 27/09/04 - 7:47 AM Permalink

Lol then welcome to the LCD Vs CRT dillema [:P]

Submitted by Delmo on Mon, 27/09/04 - 8:21 AM Permalink

If u ask me I think quadros aren't worth the price. The studio that I was freelancing for bought a quadro 1100 to handle the complex scene we where working on. We did tests on the card and the differences are minimal compared to a FX 5700 card. We soon after returned the card. I bought a 6800 GT XFX which can be clocked close to an Ultra without risk of harming the card, which I got for 850 and u can get just a regular 6800 for 700. That's what I recommend or go all out and get a proffesional wildcat, but they can be quite pricy. I think the quadro is a card to rip off big companys with alot of money. Then again I read people on cgtalk say they get great performance out of it. Hope that helps.

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

yeah were getting a couple here in at work for the modellers.. the city scenes theyre working on a large and fat! As far as animation is concerned were hitting the upper limits of performance, but some simple optimisation brings it back into the fold... :D

Yeah as far as getting a new monitor is concerned.. got a nice 19" Hitachi crt.. I've always had my eye on the black 17" mitsubishi LCD.. look nice and sexy... probably wait until the new year until I make a purchase thou...

thx for everyone input on the quadro! cheers!!![:0]