Skip to main content

Earliest recollection on drawing or art

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

What's your earliest recollection on your artistic endevours? [:)]

I remember in year 3 the entire class had to sketch a dinosaur. While others were doing pretty rudimentary looking pictures, I remember putting some real effort to making it look exactly like the dinosaur picture. All the kids came over for a look, and it was probably the first time I really thought "hey, I might be good at this!"

I used to doodle in my books from year 2 all the way through highschool, but my earliest recollection is perhaps when I was in year 1. These girls were sitting on the ground with a colouring book, pencilling it in profusely. I was with some other kid, and I remember I was dying to have a go, since they looked like they were having so much fun. I asked if I can colour in too, and one of the girls snapped "No! You're a boy... YOU'LL GO OUTSIDE THE LINES!!!!" [:D]

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 23/01/04 - 11:33 PM Permalink

I remember during my early primary school years the teacher would tell the class to form into groups to work on a project, I always had kids trying to bribe me (usually with offers of being my best freind) to come into their groups so I could look after the artwork :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/01/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

LOL @ souri, we couldnt have a messy boy going outside the lines now could we? :P

my best friend since about yr2 was really into art, drawing that sort of thing, so we would draw together and stuff, thats when i started doing cartoony drawings. He wanted to be a cartoonist so i wouldo do cartoons n stuff with him.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 24/01/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

I remember growing up having paper all over the house, this was before primary school - I'd run around collecting every single pen, pencil, texta, crayon, etc and dump it all in the middle of the lounge room. I'd lay back in the beanbag with a heavy book for a flat surface and go through hundreds of pieces of paper just trying different combinations of things, usually drawing the same thing (say our dog for example) or studying and mimicing a cartoon that was on tv or a picture in a newspaper or magazine.

I continued drawing until mid primary school, and subsequently lost my drawing hand when I was introduced to computer art; mspaint, neopaint, Imagine... yeehaw [:)]

only in the last few years have I been getting my drawing arm back; I've found I've still got the ability and knowledge in shade/colour/lighting I had back then, but form and style I had to re-learn from scratch. Ah well, nowadays I get paid for the scribbles I do, so it was all worth it, and I'm happy [:D]

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 24/01/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

The first time I can really remember drawing was in Kindergarten. We had to draw pics of families, houses, pets. All the usual crap. The first pic we had to draw was a cat. Everyone just had stick figures with a straight tail and some triangles for ears. I drew a balloon animal with whiskers, a curvy tail and so on. My teacher would just stand there looking saying it was very nice. I had a feeling from there.

I would then get heaps of colouring books and copy the line art. Draw from photos, and then move up to things like comics. In high school I was really put down by art teachers as 'comic drawing isn't art'. Plus whenever I made anything else (sculpture mainly), it was stolen or broken :/ I stopped trying at around year 8/9 and didn't start again until college. I taught myself to draw again, and I am still trying to evolve my style to my tastes :)

Submitted by jacobt on Sun, 25/01/04 - 12:14 AM Permalink

What a funny thread :D One of my earliest recollections (I only remember it because I got into lots of trouble) was of when I was in early primary and drew a miniature elevation of a house behind the television, right next to the powerpoint. I think Dad was proud (he's an architect) but Mum was pissed because she was the one who had to try to remove crayon from house paint.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 25/01/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

I first started drawing about grades 1-3. I would write books then illustrate them, they were cartoony. About Grades 4-9 I really stopped drawing. The next few years I did draw a bit, but not much. These last 2-3 years I have been drawing the most.

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 25/01/04 - 8:14 AM Permalink

I remember when we were doing ink blowing in kindi, and I drank the ink instead of blowing it. Thats why I;m the way I am.

Scott.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 25/01/04 - 11:38 AM Permalink

As a kid i enjoyed drawing, but never considered myself good at it... and i wasn't! (well I was probably average.) I had little patience for detail or shading so all of my pics looked fairly unimpressive in all respects.

When I think of early drawing efforts I recall doing a daily diary whilst on a family holiday to Europe (I was 10ish), I think I was meant to fill a page a day. Not being big on the written word I would do a small amount of prose and then draw things that I had seen that day. The images below are a few scans from said diary. Niffty eh!

The text in my diary doesn't identify the castle [:(] It was in France and I am guessing from the following diary entry within a days travel of Leonardo daVinci's house. If anyone recognises it and knows its name please let me know [;)]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/extras/pic-from-85.jpg[/img]

Jacobt> being only 13 (yeah I checked your profile) that memory can't have been from too long ago! [:0] teeheehee

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 25/01/04 - 7:56 PM Permalink

My earliest memory isn?t that early, I didn?t start drawing till high school. And then it was just fantasy monsters because I was a big role playing geek.

GM: ?You walk around the corner and are surprised by this!? Flashes Crap picture.
Player: ?Ahhh, mine old foe, the crudely drawn sphere with wings, I whilt banish thee back the graphite pit that spawned thee.?

Pantmonger

Posted by souri on
Forum

What's your earliest recollection on your artistic endevours? [:)]

I remember in year 3 the entire class had to sketch a dinosaur. While others were doing pretty rudimentary looking pictures, I remember putting some real effort to making it look exactly like the dinosaur picture. All the kids came over for a look, and it was probably the first time I really thought "hey, I might be good at this!"

I used to doodle in my books from year 2 all the way through highschool, but my earliest recollection is perhaps when I was in year 1. These girls were sitting on the ground with a colouring book, pencilling it in profusely. I was with some other kid, and I remember I was dying to have a go, since they looked like they were having so much fun. I asked if I can colour in too, and one of the girls snapped "No! You're a boy... YOU'LL GO OUTSIDE THE LINES!!!!" [:D]

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 23/01/04 - 11:33 PM Permalink

I remember during my early primary school years the teacher would tell the class to form into groups to work on a project, I always had kids trying to bribe me (usually with offers of being my best freind) to come into their groups so I could look after the artwork :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/01/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

LOL @ souri, we couldnt have a messy boy going outside the lines now could we? :P

my best friend since about yr2 was really into art, drawing that sort of thing, so we would draw together and stuff, thats when i started doing cartoony drawings. He wanted to be a cartoonist so i wouldo do cartoons n stuff with him.

Submitted by J I Styles on Sat, 24/01/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

I remember growing up having paper all over the house, this was before primary school - I'd run around collecting every single pen, pencil, texta, crayon, etc and dump it all in the middle of the lounge room. I'd lay back in the beanbag with a heavy book for a flat surface and go through hundreds of pieces of paper just trying different combinations of things, usually drawing the same thing (say our dog for example) or studying and mimicing a cartoon that was on tv or a picture in a newspaper or magazine.

I continued drawing until mid primary school, and subsequently lost my drawing hand when I was introduced to computer art; mspaint, neopaint, Imagine... yeehaw [:)]

only in the last few years have I been getting my drawing arm back; I've found I've still got the ability and knowledge in shade/colour/lighting I had back then, but form and style I had to re-learn from scratch. Ah well, nowadays I get paid for the scribbles I do, so it was all worth it, and I'm happy [:D]

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 24/01/04 - 8:23 AM Permalink

The first time I can really remember drawing was in Kindergarten. We had to draw pics of families, houses, pets. All the usual crap. The first pic we had to draw was a cat. Everyone just had stick figures with a straight tail and some triangles for ears. I drew a balloon animal with whiskers, a curvy tail and so on. My teacher would just stand there looking saying it was very nice. I had a feeling from there.

I would then get heaps of colouring books and copy the line art. Draw from photos, and then move up to things like comics. In high school I was really put down by art teachers as 'comic drawing isn't art'. Plus whenever I made anything else (sculpture mainly), it was stolen or broken :/ I stopped trying at around year 8/9 and didn't start again until college. I taught myself to draw again, and I am still trying to evolve my style to my tastes :)

Submitted by jacobt on Sun, 25/01/04 - 12:14 AM Permalink

What a funny thread :D One of my earliest recollections (I only remember it because I got into lots of trouble) was of when I was in early primary and drew a miniature elevation of a house behind the television, right next to the powerpoint. I think Dad was proud (he's an architect) but Mum was pissed because she was the one who had to try to remove crayon from house paint.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 25/01/04 - 2:30 AM Permalink

I first started drawing about grades 1-3. I would write books then illustrate them, they were cartoony. About Grades 4-9 I really stopped drawing. The next few years I did draw a bit, but not much. These last 2-3 years I have been drawing the most.

Submitted by rezn0r on Sun, 25/01/04 - 8:14 AM Permalink

I remember when we were doing ink blowing in kindi, and I drank the ink instead of blowing it. Thats why I;m the way I am.

Scott.

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 25/01/04 - 11:38 AM Permalink

As a kid i enjoyed drawing, but never considered myself good at it... and i wasn't! (well I was probably average.) I had little patience for detail or shading so all of my pics looked fairly unimpressive in all respects.

When I think of early drawing efforts I recall doing a daily diary whilst on a family holiday to Europe (I was 10ish), I think I was meant to fill a page a day. Not being big on the written word I would do a small amount of prose and then draw things that I had seen that day. The images below are a few scans from said diary. Niffty eh!

The text in my diary doesn't identify the castle [:(] It was in France and I am guessing from the following diary entry within a days travel of Leonardo daVinci's house. If anyone recognises it and knows its name please let me know [;)]

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/extras/pic-from-85.jpg[/img]

Jacobt> being only 13 (yeah I checked your profile) that memory can't have been from too long ago! [:0] teeheehee

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 25/01/04 - 7:56 PM Permalink

My earliest memory isn?t that early, I didn?t start drawing till high school. And then it was just fantasy monsters because I was a big role playing geek.

GM: ?You walk around the corner and are surprised by this!? Flashes Crap picture.
Player: ?Ahhh, mine old foe, the crudely drawn sphere with wings, I whilt banish thee back the graphite pit that spawned thee.?

Pantmonger