Skip to main content

Concept Art / CG Painting

Submitted by bboyc3p0 on
Forum

Hello all - im new so excuse the noobie questions and such ;)

Im interested in developing my painting skills - when i say developing i mean "getting some".

I can draw with pen and paper reasonably well, but whenever i scan stuff in and try and colour them in PS it always seems to be to the detriment of my original drawings. So i'm looking for some guidance on which programs i should attempt to become proficient in; to be able to paint and colour drawings properly...

I've been watching some Zhu dvd's and the latest one actually had him drawing in a painter program... it looked like it was corel painter or somethings like that...

oh and are WACOM boards the only way to go if u want to be serious about this activity?

i had a look round and the INTUOS3 seemed to be marketed at professionals where as the graphire looked more like a gimicky kiddie thing? if any one could clarify this up for me a bit and head me in the right direction as to waht hardware, software i should be looking at getting, i'd be most appreciatvie.

cheers

Submitted by denz on Fri, 23/09/05 - 3:13 AM Permalink

photoshop and painter are pretty much the main ones. theres open canvas which is nice to, and free i think?

I couldn't imagine painting with a mouse really, not if you want to be serious. Just like everythingelse you still need the right tools to get good results.

i have a graphire at home, and it works just fine. not as smooth as the intuos i use at work, but still does the job well enough.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 05/10/05 - 1:53 PM Permalink

There's nothing wrong with Graphire's! A bad artist is one that blames his tools, and getting the top of the line tablet isn't going to make you a better artist faster. I'm sure the Intous are more smoother/responsive, much more expensive, and can detect the tilt of the nib etc, but if you're just starting out, then a nice $200 Graphire 3 is a great introduction, I reckon.

If you have the time, download the Painter IX 30 day trial from Corel's website. That is one sweet program. If you do get a Graphire, you'll probably get Painter Classic with the tablet which, again, is a nice introduction to digital painting.

Posted by bboyc3p0 on
Forum

Hello all - im new so excuse the noobie questions and such ;)

Im interested in developing my painting skills - when i say developing i mean "getting some".

I can draw with pen and paper reasonably well, but whenever i scan stuff in and try and colour them in PS it always seems to be to the detriment of my original drawings. So i'm looking for some guidance on which programs i should attempt to become proficient in; to be able to paint and colour drawings properly...

I've been watching some Zhu dvd's and the latest one actually had him drawing in a painter program... it looked like it was corel painter or somethings like that...

oh and are WACOM boards the only way to go if u want to be serious about this activity?

i had a look round and the INTUOS3 seemed to be marketed at professionals where as the graphire looked more like a gimicky kiddie thing? if any one could clarify this up for me a bit and head me in the right direction as to waht hardware, software i should be looking at getting, i'd be most appreciatvie.

cheers

Submitted by denz on Fri, 23/09/05 - 3:13 AM Permalink

photoshop and painter are pretty much the main ones. theres open canvas which is nice to, and free i think?

I couldn't imagine painting with a mouse really, not if you want to be serious. Just like everythingelse you still need the right tools to get good results.

i have a graphire at home, and it works just fine. not as smooth as the intuos i use at work, but still does the job well enough.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 05/10/05 - 1:53 PM Permalink

There's nothing wrong with Graphire's! A bad artist is one that blames his tools, and getting the top of the line tablet isn't going to make you a better artist faster. I'm sure the Intous are more smoother/responsive, much more expensive, and can detect the tilt of the nib etc, but if you're just starting out, then a nice $200 Graphire 3 is a great introduction, I reckon.

If you have the time, download the Painter IX 30 day trial from Corel's website. That is one sweet program. If you do get a Graphire, you'll probably get Painter Classic with the tablet which, again, is a nice introduction to digital painting.