Skip to main content

Quake 3 skillz vid

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

My friend has recently polished off a quake 3 vid that he and his mates put together with footage from a LAN of theres. Its pretty damn awesome and hes really gone out of his way to learn some darn spiffy video techniques. Its got some pretty neat skill moment but its also got some pretty funny parts aswell (it is ofcourse, all done to music). Its not light, its currently only on Xvid codec and weighs in at 91ish meg. Theres a DviX version coming im told that should be more along the lines of 60 or something but its no problem for people with cable because (and i dont know why, maybe its because his site is so empty) on my telstra cable account i managed to download it in about 2 minutes, as for 56kers... well if people would like i could request a mpeg version with a frame screen size (its currently 640x480 i think...)

Anyway the link!!
http://www.spirax.org/ <--- his webbie
http://www.spirax.org/downloads/ <---- where to get the vid

incase your wondering im spouting this because the guy has been helping me with video editing heaps and i feel i owe something to him, besides im not joking when i say its one of the better game vids out there.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 22/01/04 - 6:12 AM Permalink

i used to play quake 3 tournaments- love that railgun. although it pisses your friends off when you hardly never miss with it- you quickly end up having no one to play. i think thats why I stopped playing it.

...20% on your vid.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:06 AM Permalink

hes made a half life DM one a while ago, dont know if its still on the net though

btw there is plenty of sweet rail gun shots in the vid, one seriously awesome one which is replayed in slow mo

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/01/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

sorry for double post but the site www.spirax.org has been updated and the old halflife video is now availible in the downloads section, plus penguins gone and put up some new stuff like player profiles and wat not. I know becuase i tested it for him :P

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Wow, he has got some skill, i'am giving serious thought to buying Quake 3. Is it Fun. I've never played any of the quakes b4.

Just checked out the Half Life one, but it aint half as good.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/02/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

heh heh yeah note the message at the start "none of spirax usually plays HLDM" (or something to that effect), but its still neat.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 10/02/04 - 6:33 PM Permalink

Well i went and got Quake 3 and man it is awesome fun. I've been playing for hours. And inglis i know wut u mean with the Rail gun, Iam loving it to, getting ok with it.

Oh well back to quake.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/02/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

lol penguin will be pleased with me, i have converted someone to quake :P

did u find it in a bargin bin or something? im amazed theres still copies around

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/02/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

heh ive had a quick check when ive been near bargin bins but mostly i prefer UT :)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 12/02/04 - 5:11 AM Permalink

all this talk of quake 3...
made me install it and give it a shot again after not touching it for 2 years.
i recorded myself playing a bot :)

quake 3 version 1.17 i used - dont know if that matters.

now to cover my ass seeing as i havent played it in 2 years-
its a 10 min 1v1 game -

i remember the games being a lot faster pace back in the day (all the strafe jumping, rocket jumping etc...im too unco to do that now lol)...and the railgun being a lot more accurate..anyway...enjoy :)

http://www.3dluvr.com/inglis/other/

go there and download the file "rustyquake3.zip"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

that a demo vid for the game or like a mpeg? (i dunno cause like its in a zip file see...)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:27 AM Permalink

is a demo recording for the game.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 12/02/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Even when Quake 3 first came out, I could never play more than an hours worth of deathmatch - it just seemed really mindless and boring to me. That really quick, jumping, twitch shooting, splash damage style kind of play.. It's the same with Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat. Capturing and holding the flag is really just a small step up from deathmatch, I reckon.
I love Enemy Territory though. Bring on classes, mission objectives, and team orientated gameplay!!

I had a small play with Unreal 2 XMP and that was pretty much capture the flag(s), but it had some classes to choose from. It's a step up, but it's still very watered down when compared to Enemy Territory. The gameplay is quite different too. People jump like crazy, and they're so far away when you fight, so you tend to use weapons that have large splash damage (gas, electricity, rockets etc) to hope to hit someone.. or you stand back and snipe.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 12/02/04 - 6:33 PM Permalink

I havn't played unreal or enemy territory but i played CS and i think quake wipes it's ass on it.

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

My friend has recently polished off a quake 3 vid that he and his mates put together with footage from a LAN of theres. Its pretty damn awesome and hes really gone out of his way to learn some darn spiffy video techniques. Its got some pretty neat skill moment but its also got some pretty funny parts aswell (it is ofcourse, all done to music). Its not light, its currently only on Xvid codec and weighs in at 91ish meg. Theres a DviX version coming im told that should be more along the lines of 60 or something but its no problem for people with cable because (and i dont know why, maybe its because his site is so empty) on my telstra cable account i managed to download it in about 2 minutes, as for 56kers... well if people would like i could request a mpeg version with a frame screen size (its currently 640x480 i think...)

Anyway the link!!
http://www.spirax.org/ <--- his webbie
http://www.spirax.org/downloads/ <---- where to get the vid

incase your wondering im spouting this because the guy has been helping me with video editing heaps and i feel i owe something to him, besides im not joking when i say its one of the better game vids out there.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 22/01/04 - 6:12 AM Permalink

i used to play quake 3 tournaments- love that railgun. although it pisses your friends off when you hardly never miss with it- you quickly end up having no one to play. i think thats why I stopped playing it.

...20% on your vid.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 22/01/04 - 8:06 AM Permalink

hes made a half life DM one a while ago, dont know if its still on the net though

btw there is plenty of sweet rail gun shots in the vid, one seriously awesome one which is replayed in slow mo

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/01/04 - 8:13 AM Permalink

sorry for double post but the site www.spirax.org has been updated and the old halflife video is now availible in the downloads section, plus penguins gone and put up some new stuff like player profiles and wat not. I know becuase i tested it for him :P

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 09/02/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

Wow, he has got some skill, i'am giving serious thought to buying Quake 3. Is it Fun. I've never played any of the quakes b4.

Just checked out the Half Life one, but it aint half as good.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 09/02/04 - 3:57 AM Permalink

heh heh yeah note the message at the start "none of spirax usually plays HLDM" (or something to that effect), but its still neat.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 10/02/04 - 6:33 PM Permalink

Well i went and got Quake 3 and man it is awesome fun. I've been playing for hours. And inglis i know wut u mean with the Rail gun, Iam loving it to, getting ok with it.

Oh well back to quake.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/02/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

lol penguin will be pleased with me, i have converted someone to quake :P

did u find it in a bargin bin or something? im amazed theres still copies around

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 11/02/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

heh ive had a quick check when ive been near bargin bins but mostly i prefer UT :)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 12/02/04 - 5:11 AM Permalink

all this talk of quake 3...
made me install it and give it a shot again after not touching it for 2 years.
i recorded myself playing a bot :)

quake 3 version 1.17 i used - dont know if that matters.

now to cover my ass seeing as i havent played it in 2 years-
its a 10 min 1v1 game -

i remember the games being a lot faster pace back in the day (all the strafe jumping, rocket jumping etc...im too unco to do that now lol)...and the railgun being a lot more accurate..anyway...enjoy :)

http://www.3dluvr.com/inglis/other/

go there and download the file "rustyquake3.zip"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:19 AM Permalink

that a demo vid for the game or like a mpeg? (i dunno cause like its in a zip file see...)

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:27 AM Permalink

is a demo recording for the game.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 12/02/04 - 11:42 AM Permalink

Even when Quake 3 first came out, I could never play more than an hours worth of deathmatch - it just seemed really mindless and boring to me. That really quick, jumping, twitch shooting, splash damage style kind of play.. It's the same with Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat. Capturing and holding the flag is really just a small step up from deathmatch, I reckon.
I love Enemy Territory though. Bring on classes, mission objectives, and team orientated gameplay!!

I had a small play with Unreal 2 XMP and that was pretty much capture the flag(s), but it had some classes to choose from. It's a step up, but it's still very watered down when compared to Enemy Territory. The gameplay is quite different too. People jump like crazy, and they're so far away when you fight, so you tend to use weapons that have large splash damage (gas, electricity, rockets etc) to hope to hit someone.. or you stand back and snipe.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 12/02/04 - 6:33 PM Permalink

I havn't played unreal or enemy territory but i played CS and i think quake wipes it's ass on it.