Skip to main content

Face pic done

Submitted by 3DArty on

Ok it's done now I love to know what you all think of it
as this is only the 2nd one I have done ( Just dig in )[;)]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/200412208326_face2step7.j…]

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 21/12/04 - 11:44 AM Permalink

it looks really good, the hair is superb in particular. my only crit is that you have done the skin texture too well. it looks quite coarse, not so bad on the body but it think it would look better if you softened up the face a bit, it should also break up the consistency in the texture and emphasize the face more. other than that its great and im looking forward to more

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 21/12/04 - 11:59 AM Permalink

Hey thats pretty good, 3DArty. Only thing that is bothering me about this pic is that the texture you have going is consistant on the skin and hair and it looks good, but the red plasticy thing looks out of place. Just makes it feel a bit odd and unresolved.
Keep going tho man :)

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 21/12/04 - 2:12 PM Permalink

ok thx ill give it go thx for the link[8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:01 PM Permalink

I thinks its come along, heres a few things for consideration :

The areas of darkness in the hair are too dark I think, even the blackest of hair under light has volume and clear strands.

The same dark areas suggest that the lightsource is to the right of the screen, but the highlights in her eyes suggest that the brightest lightsource is coming from the left of screen with a dimmer light from the right.

You mentioned that this was from an image from a magazine, so no doubt its been tweaked before printing, and someone placed the highlights on the wrong side.

Also the 2 metal rings on the top seem to have conflicting lightsources too, as do the highlights, shadows on the top material.

The new material im unsure about, it seems to be uneffected by the lighting in the scene at all, its virtually the same tone from tip of the shoulder right the way down to the breast, making it stick out as a seperate entity, where it starts heading under the arm, its starting to take a little bit of shape..

Good to see you resolved that film grain, noisey look on the skin - it was beginning to reak of photoshop filters [:P]

No doubt those are some fine skin tones happening there well done [:)]

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:23 PM Permalink

thx for that and I see you havent forgoten me and a bit of an up late at night man to, at least It works for some of us lol[;)]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 21/12/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

hey much improvement :) definately liking the face.

My crit would be with the overlay you have on the top. The lines should be wrapping around, or it just makes it flat.

nice work :)

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 22/12/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

its kinda good but weird too! bits are convincingly photo realistic and some bits are just a little off.
I suspect it was quite a challenging photo to work from as there would not be any definite/ strong/ single light source to help interpret shapes, the lighting (such as the twin highlights in her eyes) probably are acurate! I imagine she was lit with multiple main lights and probably several secondary light sources (included reflected light)

I just had a quick browse of Anuxinamoon's link - sounds easy! 3DArty, you should definitely give it a try out on the striped top...and do another painting to, cause with a bit more practice they will look super-cool :)

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 10:38 AM Permalink

Looking pretty good there man.
As John said its good but a bit wierd.
Throw some blues and greens in to her flesh, she looks like she just came out of a tanning saloon.
The highlight on the nose bothers me, it doesnt look like its in the right spot, maybe push it down on the point of the nose, this would help express the form of the nose area as it looks quite flat.
Some shadow on the right eye might help as well.

I prefer the red cloth you did as well, the new one with the lines is a bit distracting.

I think the pic your working from isnt helping much. As its been mentoined there isnt a clear light source, so its more difficult to suggest form.

Yeah, some parts are quite good. With more practice you might get some really nice results. Keep at it! :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 22/12/04 - 12:11 PM Permalink

I wouldnt mind seeing a scan of the reference pic.....

Submitted by Leviron on Sat, 25/12/04 - 9:37 PM Permalink

I think the reflected light element is missing. Like under her arm and her face.
How about some highlights on the side of her face to illuminate it?

I think the shadows on her are too strong around the collar bone area. Which causes the face and neck to lack contrast.
You also have to be careful about the shadow on her face because it looks like her face caved in because of the super dark shadow.... also the neck is pretty light in contrast.

The whites of the eyes seem to have this lumpy texture but that could have been caused by the noise specs and compression. The general shape of her eyes seem a fair bit off...in comparison to each other. Perhaps the one on the darker side of the face should look a bit more like the other? I think by pulling the botton lid up a tad and making the inner corner (tear duct area) a bit sharper.

I think I'll stop there.... have a merry christmas.

Posted by 3DArty on

Ok it's done now I love to know what you all think of it
as this is only the 2nd one I have done ( Just dig in )[;)]

Insert Image: [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/3DArty/200412208326_face2step7.j…]

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 21/12/04 - 11:44 AM Permalink

it looks really good, the hair is superb in particular. my only crit is that you have done the skin texture too well. it looks quite coarse, not so bad on the body but it think it would look better if you softened up the face a bit, it should also break up the consistency in the texture and emphasize the face more. other than that its great and im looking forward to more

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 21/12/04 - 11:59 AM Permalink

Hey thats pretty good, 3DArty. Only thing that is bothering me about this pic is that the texture you have going is consistant on the skin and hair and it looks good, but the red plasticy thing looks out of place. Just makes it feel a bit odd and unresolved.
Keep going tho man :)

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 21/12/04 - 2:12 PM Permalink

ok thx ill give it go thx for the link[8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:01 PM Permalink

I thinks its come along, heres a few things for consideration :

The areas of darkness in the hair are too dark I think, even the blackest of hair under light has volume and clear strands.

The same dark areas suggest that the lightsource is to the right of the screen, but the highlights in her eyes suggest that the brightest lightsource is coming from the left of screen with a dimmer light from the right.

You mentioned that this was from an image from a magazine, so no doubt its been tweaked before printing, and someone placed the highlights on the wrong side.

Also the 2 metal rings on the top seem to have conflicting lightsources too, as do the highlights, shadows on the top material.

The new material im unsure about, it seems to be uneffected by the lighting in the scene at all, its virtually the same tone from tip of the shoulder right the way down to the breast, making it stick out as a seperate entity, where it starts heading under the arm, its starting to take a little bit of shape..

Good to see you resolved that film grain, noisey look on the skin - it was beginning to reak of photoshop filters [:P]

No doubt those are some fine skin tones happening there well done [:)]

Submitted by 3DArty on Tue, 21/12/04 - 3:23 PM Permalink

thx for that and I see you havent forgoten me and a bit of an up late at night man to, at least It works for some of us lol[;)]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 21/12/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink

hey much improvement :) definately liking the face.

My crit would be with the overlay you have on the top. The lines should be wrapping around, or it just makes it flat.

nice work :)

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 22/12/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

its kinda good but weird too! bits are convincingly photo realistic and some bits are just a little off.
I suspect it was quite a challenging photo to work from as there would not be any definite/ strong/ single light source to help interpret shapes, the lighting (such as the twin highlights in her eyes) probably are acurate! I imagine she was lit with multiple main lights and probably several secondary light sources (included reflected light)

I just had a quick browse of Anuxinamoon's link - sounds easy! 3DArty, you should definitely give it a try out on the striped top...and do another painting to, cause with a bit more practice they will look super-cool :)

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 10:38 AM Permalink

Looking pretty good there man.
As John said its good but a bit wierd.
Throw some blues and greens in to her flesh, she looks like she just came out of a tanning saloon.
The highlight on the nose bothers me, it doesnt look like its in the right spot, maybe push it down on the point of the nose, this would help express the form of the nose area as it looks quite flat.
Some shadow on the right eye might help as well.

I prefer the red cloth you did as well, the new one with the lines is a bit distracting.

I think the pic your working from isnt helping much. As its been mentoined there isnt a clear light source, so its more difficult to suggest form.

Yeah, some parts are quite good. With more practice you might get some really nice results. Keep at it! :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 22/12/04 - 12:11 PM Permalink

I wouldnt mind seeing a scan of the reference pic.....

Submitted by Leviron on Sat, 25/12/04 - 9:37 PM Permalink

I think the reflected light element is missing. Like under her arm and her face.
How about some highlights on the side of her face to illuminate it?

I think the shadows on her are too strong around the collar bone area. Which causes the face and neck to lack contrast.
You also have to be careful about the shadow on her face because it looks like her face caved in because of the super dark shadow.... also the neck is pretty light in contrast.

The whites of the eyes seem to have this lumpy texture but that could have been caused by the noise specs and compression. The general shape of her eyes seem a fair bit off...in comparison to each other. Perhaps the one on the darker side of the face should look a bit more like the other? I think by pulling the botton lid up a tad and making the inner corner (tear duct area) a bit sharper.

I think I'll stop there.... have a merry christmas.