Skip to main content

Enclave

Submitted by Kalescent on
Forum

Hey all, just thought id spout my piece about this game, it rocks - and for 40 bux - i think it packs alot more punch than most of the non fps new realease pc games out there. and its quite old to boot being released in the early part of 2003.

Most EB's only have 1 or so copies left - but i sincerely urge you to buy it. especially for those of you who have good spec pc's - with everything in the game cranked right up to full - the textures and models look extremely impressive for such a low profile/buzz game.

When i first started playing the game chose the dark path and took hold of my assasin like charcater - i began to run and jump around like a tool as per usual, and low an behold i was tripping wires and pressure plates, spikes where shooting out from walls and arrows shooting from tiny gaps in walls. real adrenaline pumping type stuff - so early in the game.

The same for the good path which i chose next, the player is thrust into defending a village from attack - walls are crumbling down, orcs jump down from roofs jumping the charcater. And at one point as i stalked up behind an unwary goblin crossbowman, several more had had snuck up behind me and pulled of some nice head shots, which killed me.

The AI is not totally stupid - which in alot of these games it usually is. The graphics are absolutely superb in my opppinion for an older game - the physics are well done, with the rubble crumbling pieces of walls / bookcases falling down etc.

Atmosphere is suprisingly frightening in some points - and the sound is also very VERY good and enhances the gameplay.

The only downside to it is a somewhat jerky melee combat mode - but the sniper mode is very cool, and when they become available to you - the mage characters are also very cool to use.

Well done to the starbreeze team for creating such a cool game [:D]

/end rant

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 4:26 AM Permalink

40 buks is still outta my reach [:D] sounds cool though

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Starbreeze have just released a new game called "Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade" which is supposedly somewhat similar to enclave, but with a different setting. Might be worth checking out (try before you buy!) if you liked Enclave.
CYer, Blitz
PS. Dunno if it's only Xbox or PC as well though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 11:03 AM Permalink

yip thanks blitz - ive been chekcing it out - it does look very cool indeed.

another to point out - the starbreeze credits i noticed - theres roughly 8-10 different names for the entire development crew. small team - one helluva game. Knights of the temple also looks insane - im definately going to get it. these guys are on a good wicket i think.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 24/05/04 - 8:07 AM Permalink

I think the studio may have expanded since they did enclave...i believe they are also doing the highly anticipated Chronicels of Riddick atm, i would imagine they would have required more people to be doing knights and chronicles at the same time :)
Certainly looks like things are on the up and up for them though!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by stonedwal on Mon, 24/05/04 - 7:55 PM Permalink

Personally, I think Enclave is an acquired taste. I know a few people who loved it, and a few that hated it. I'm part of the latter group. There was a sequel under way, but the Enclave license holder went bankrupt, and Starbreeze couldn't rescue the license.

Chronicles of Riddick looks very good, especially for a console title, but it's still about two months off its Australian release.

Posted by Kalescent on
Forum

Hey all, just thought id spout my piece about this game, it rocks - and for 40 bux - i think it packs alot more punch than most of the non fps new realease pc games out there. and its quite old to boot being released in the early part of 2003.

Most EB's only have 1 or so copies left - but i sincerely urge you to buy it. especially for those of you who have good spec pc's - with everything in the game cranked right up to full - the textures and models look extremely impressive for such a low profile/buzz game.

When i first started playing the game chose the dark path and took hold of my assasin like charcater - i began to run and jump around like a tool as per usual, and low an behold i was tripping wires and pressure plates, spikes where shooting out from walls and arrows shooting from tiny gaps in walls. real adrenaline pumping type stuff - so early in the game.

The same for the good path which i chose next, the player is thrust into defending a village from attack - walls are crumbling down, orcs jump down from roofs jumping the charcater. And at one point as i stalked up behind an unwary goblin crossbowman, several more had had snuck up behind me and pulled of some nice head shots, which killed me.

The AI is not totally stupid - which in alot of these games it usually is. The graphics are absolutely superb in my opppinion for an older game - the physics are well done, with the rubble crumbling pieces of walls / bookcases falling down etc.

Atmosphere is suprisingly frightening in some points - and the sound is also very VERY good and enhances the gameplay.

The only downside to it is a somewhat jerky melee combat mode - but the sniper mode is very cool, and when they become available to you - the mage characters are also very cool to use.

Well done to the starbreeze team for creating such a cool game [:D]

/end rant

Submitted by denz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 4:26 AM Permalink

40 buks is still outta my reach [:D] sounds cool though

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 23/05/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Starbreeze have just released a new game called "Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade" which is supposedly somewhat similar to enclave, but with a different setting. Might be worth checking out (try before you buy!) if you liked Enclave.
CYer, Blitz
PS. Dunno if it's only Xbox or PC as well though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 23/05/04 - 11:03 AM Permalink

yip thanks blitz - ive been chekcing it out - it does look very cool indeed.

another to point out - the starbreeze credits i noticed - theres roughly 8-10 different names for the entire development crew. small team - one helluva game. Knights of the temple also looks insane - im definately going to get it. these guys are on a good wicket i think.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 24/05/04 - 8:07 AM Permalink

I think the studio may have expanded since they did enclave...i believe they are also doing the highly anticipated Chronicels of Riddick atm, i would imagine they would have required more people to be doing knights and chronicles at the same time :)
Certainly looks like things are on the up and up for them though!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by stonedwal on Mon, 24/05/04 - 7:55 PM Permalink

Personally, I think Enclave is an acquired taste. I know a few people who loved it, and a few that hated it. I'm part of the latter group. There was a sequel under way, but the Enclave license holder went bankrupt, and Starbreeze couldn't rescue the license.

Chronicles of Riddick looks very good, especially for a console title, but it's still about two months off its Australian release.