Skip to main content

character concept / model sheet

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

geez, looks a bit pixelie! not to worry, I'm sure you will all get the idea anyway.

latest piece on the neverending path to somewhere (I hope.) I've been focusing on model sheets and an efficient process/technique for doing them. Initial drawings were pencil on paper and tone/colour added in photoshop.

C&C welcome, and appreciated, as always [:I]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_modelSheet_PriestessLL.j…]

edit: mes grammas is poor!

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 20/02/05 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Hey John, pretty good stuff man.
The face (on the front view)needs a bit of tweaking, specifically the nose area and jawline look a bit big and masculine.
The left view seems to be a bit slanted, like she is leaning on an angle.
Might be handy to use the grid option in PS to make sure things are lined up.
The full colour pose is a good addition to the piece, though there are some hard shadows that dont need to be there.
I did a quick paintover to show you what I mean-
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rowanfamily/johnpaint.jpg[/img]
Remember that hard shadows can often draw peoples eyes towards them, so make sure to use them where you want people to look the most.
The flesh tones you chose were quite good as well.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 20/02/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

Hey, nice job John.
A few tips with model sheet making.
As you may know, model sheets are used by a 3D artist to create a 3D model to look like your concept. 3D Artists usually build only half of the model then flip it. So the same sort of thing would apply to the model sheet. Just drawe half then flip it. Then add any different detail to it if the concept isn't asymetrical.

It is vitally important to make sure you align each and every part of the model sheet to each of the drawings. Even the littlest things have to be aligned. You can do this is PS by having your front flipped horizontally to form the back. To draw the side just make a new layer over the front and draw on that. Guide lines are good too :)

Also its wise to not have a perspective on your model sheet as a 3d Artist usually uses orthographic views for their front, side and back.

Its looking good tho John and I'm sure you will get the hang of it easy [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 20/02/05 - 6:09 AM Permalink

Yeah I'm pretty anal when it comes to model sheets. I guess thats come from using model sheets that are more or less inaccurate or containing grey areas.
Kind of defeats the purpose of having one IMO, just creates a guess situation and even more problems if the model sheet is being used by someone other than the person who drew it up.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline/screens.html?page=27

Thats a good example of a model sheet, theres a few more there too.
I guess the other reason I like to have a good solid, technically correct model sheet is because it sets the precise standards that i like to have in place right from word go.

All in all its personal preference for the modeller I think. But the way I see it is ultimately if I'm doing the model sheets I want the modeller to be able to replicate my design as clearly and precisely as possible - and I cant really expect that if I give a model sheet that isnt precise.

Also is not a biggie usually for human form because any modeller worthy of his position in a games company should be at a level where they can judge human anatomy well enough.

But when you get into armour design, or monsters it starts getting pretty frustrating lining something up in front view and having it look really strange and in a different position when you skip to side view = guess work = bad.

/my 3 cents

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 21/02/05 - 5:08 AM Permalink

I think you don't need that shadow thingie. I would have just manipulated the front view to make the back view too... causes less guess work since the outline would be consistent.... after all it is digital media.

omg... that example is so...technical. I'd die if I had to do something like that with real media...especially if someone was more anal about details than me. I?d refuse to do it in ink nibs... that would be totally insane but not impossible...hehe time is the key...lots of time.

edit:
after looking at your colour pose. I see a lot of problems with it.
The way your rendered her arm, it looks strange because of the shape of the highlight... it's squashed. Also there won't be that much armpit if her arm is relaxed.

She doesn't look feminine because she has over defined bold features. Like the face, neck and knee caps.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 21/02/05 - 11:04 PM Permalink

John, I think if you want to make the face more feminie, you might need to round out her face a bit more, as her face seems a bit flat. Also open up the eyes a little and lessen the grumpy lump thats happening in between her eyebrows. I think that might help a bit.

Hehe, now that I actally looked closely at that Dungeons & Dragons Online model sheet, the left is a bit off from the front [:p]
It just goes to show even the pro's have trouble sometimes [;)]
But guessing they only had a short period of time to complete it, it's still pretty good.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 23/02/05 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Attempt #2 on the model sheet. The line work is much more accurate across the three pics. Did the final drawings in pen too giving a slightly sharper outline (probably could have used a bit of line weight variation on them upon reflection.)

I'm binning the painting and starting again. not sure if I will approach it with the intent of creating a quick colour/texture guide to support the model sheet or attempt to do a finished, polished painting.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200522271659_priestess_mod…]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 24/02/05 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Side view looks like shes about to fall over, wouldn't be great as modelling reference, others are great.

Nice stuff though man, love the colours pieces. [:)]

Posted by Johnn on

geez, looks a bit pixelie! not to worry, I'm sure you will all get the idea anyway.

latest piece on the neverending path to somewhere (I hope.) I've been focusing on model sheets and an efficient process/technique for doing them. Initial drawings were pencil on paper and tone/colour added in photoshop.

C&C welcome, and appreciated, as always [:I]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_character_modelSheet_PriestessLL.j…]

edit: mes grammas is poor!

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 20/02/05 - 3:58 AM Permalink

Hey John, pretty good stuff man.
The face (on the front view)needs a bit of tweaking, specifically the nose area and jawline look a bit big and masculine.
The left view seems to be a bit slanted, like she is leaning on an angle.
Might be handy to use the grid option in PS to make sure things are lined up.
The full colour pose is a good addition to the piece, though there are some hard shadows that dont need to be there.
I did a quick paintover to show you what I mean-
[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rowanfamily/johnpaint.jpg[/img]
Remember that hard shadows can often draw peoples eyes towards them, so make sure to use them where you want people to look the most.
The flesh tones you chose were quite good as well.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 20/02/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

Hey, nice job John.
A few tips with model sheet making.
As you may know, model sheets are used by a 3D artist to create a 3D model to look like your concept. 3D Artists usually build only half of the model then flip it. So the same sort of thing would apply to the model sheet. Just drawe half then flip it. Then add any different detail to it if the concept isn't asymetrical.

It is vitally important to make sure you align each and every part of the model sheet to each of the drawings. Even the littlest things have to be aligned. You can do this is PS by having your front flipped horizontally to form the back. To draw the side just make a new layer over the front and draw on that. Guide lines are good too :)

Also its wise to not have a perspective on your model sheet as a 3d Artist usually uses orthographic views for their front, side and back.

Its looking good tho John and I'm sure you will get the hang of it easy [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 20/02/05 - 6:09 AM Permalink

Yeah I'm pretty anal when it comes to model sheets. I guess thats come from using model sheets that are more or less inaccurate or containing grey areas.
Kind of defeats the purpose of having one IMO, just creates a guess situation and even more problems if the model sheet is being used by someone other than the person who drew it up.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline/screens.html?page=27

Thats a good example of a model sheet, theres a few more there too.
I guess the other reason I like to have a good solid, technically correct model sheet is because it sets the precise standards that i like to have in place right from word go.

All in all its personal preference for the modeller I think. But the way I see it is ultimately if I'm doing the model sheets I want the modeller to be able to replicate my design as clearly and precisely as possible - and I cant really expect that if I give a model sheet that isnt precise.

Also is not a biggie usually for human form because any modeller worthy of his position in a games company should be at a level where they can judge human anatomy well enough.

But when you get into armour design, or monsters it starts getting pretty frustrating lining something up in front view and having it look really strange and in a different position when you skip to side view = guess work = bad.

/my 3 cents

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 21/02/05 - 5:08 AM Permalink

I think you don't need that shadow thingie. I would have just manipulated the front view to make the back view too... causes less guess work since the outline would be consistent.... after all it is digital media.

omg... that example is so...technical. I'd die if I had to do something like that with real media...especially if someone was more anal about details than me. I?d refuse to do it in ink nibs... that would be totally insane but not impossible...hehe time is the key...lots of time.

edit:
after looking at your colour pose. I see a lot of problems with it.
The way your rendered her arm, it looks strange because of the shape of the highlight... it's squashed. Also there won't be that much armpit if her arm is relaxed.

She doesn't look feminine because she has over defined bold features. Like the face, neck and knee caps.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 21/02/05 - 11:04 PM Permalink

John, I think if you want to make the face more feminie, you might need to round out her face a bit more, as her face seems a bit flat. Also open up the eyes a little and lessen the grumpy lump thats happening in between her eyebrows. I think that might help a bit.

Hehe, now that I actally looked closely at that Dungeons & Dragons Online model sheet, the left is a bit off from the front [:p]
It just goes to show even the pro's have trouble sometimes [;)]
But guessing they only had a short period of time to complete it, it's still pretty good.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 23/02/05 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Attempt #2 on the model sheet. The line work is much more accurate across the three pics. Did the final drawings in pen too giving a slightly sharper outline (probably could have used a bit of line weight variation on them upon reflection.)

I'm binning the painting and starting again. not sure if I will approach it with the intent of creating a quick colour/texture guide to support the model sheet or attempt to do a finished, polished painting.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200522271659_priestess_mod…]

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 24/02/05 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Side view looks like shes about to fall over, wouldn't be great as modelling reference, others are great.

Nice stuff though man, love the colours pieces. [:)]