Skip to main content

Best Games of 2003

Submitted by Maitrek on
Forum

So - I guess most of us spend more of our time making games than playing them - but I'm not going to pretend to myself that I make no time for such frivolous activities (in fact I definitely spend more hours playing rather than making) :) So of the games your played from last year, which one stands tallest?

My personal top three are

1. Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic
2. TRON 2.0
3. Max Payne 2 (just)

I thought TRON 2.0 and Max Payne 2 were fairly lack-lustre, but I think the year was fairly lack-lustre overall. I must admit I didn't play much in the way of RTS or RPGs from this year so I guess I'm a little ill-informed!

Pity I didn't play any console titles from 2003 either :(

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:48 AM Permalink

last year was basicly my year of no money, so i didnt get to play that many games :P

Soul Caliber 2 and GTA VC deserve a mention though, both good games :)

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

I played through the single player game of Vietcong last year. I thought it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

I also played through Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds on PS2, and while simple and certainly nothing new, I found it to be good fun - but then I'm a Buffy fan. But I liked it more then that older Buffy game on xbox anyway.

Enter the Matrix (on ps2) was the only other new game I played extensively, and while it was fairly well done, I didn't really get right into it for some reason. Same with the Matrix movies. For me, there was just something missing.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Ooh, definitely Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, the best designed game EVER in my opinion. Then there's Deus Ex: Invisible Wars, not quite as good as the original, but a worthy successor none the less.

Not much else to be honest, personally I played Medieval: Total War to death, but that's an old release, there wasn't much else of note for me.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:50 PM Permalink

Enemy Territory was a big hit.
Need for speed udnerground also held my attention for a long night at a friends house.
I thought savage was also quite a good game, but like many other good games, seemed to be ignored by most people.
Other than that, didn't get a chance to play that many games. Not enough money to buy xbox games, and my PC too crap to play most new PC games :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:51 PM Permalink

Enemy Territory, without a doubt. I would've seriously paid for this game if they didn't release it for free. Great class based FPS with strong emphasis on teamwork, great maps and mission objectives, and enjoyable even with a 56k modem. I was sick of Counterstrike, but I didn't really like Day of Defeat to convert over, so didn't think much of the whole class idea, but it really adds so much more variety and depth to the FPS genre.

Call of Duty was quite good as well. Great single player experience.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:55 PM Permalink

Wolfenstein ET is great :)

As is Call of duty.. I know the ww2 genre is a big cliche, but they are done oh so well.

I enjoyed Kotor too, it was kinda buggy though.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Manhunt - for some reason i just love it, maybe it's the violance
ROTK - Really hard but awesome fun especially co-op
Max Payne 2 - Better than the first

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 20/02/04 - 8:07 PM Permalink

Knights of the Old Republic would be a close tie with Metroid Prime in my list...both are great games, but Metroid I think takes the cake with graphics and levels etc.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:57 PM Permalink

Knight of the old.

ET was funny, and crap I didn't like it, as with a lot of poeple I know.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Wizenedoldman

Not much else to be honest, personally I played Medieval: Total War to death, but that's an old release, there wasn't much else of note for me.

Yeah, yeah... Rome:TW coming soon enough ok? promise [:)]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

As is Call of duty.. I know the ww2 genre is a big cliche, but they are done oh so well.

WW2 is out, and it seems covering the Vietnam war is in fashion now! Battlefield: Vietnam, Shellshock: Nam '67, Men of Valor: Vietnam etc

Submitted by ScORCHo on Fri, 20/02/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

What about Splinter Cell for PC..thats last year isnt it? Its awesome, I love it...And Call of Duty rocks as well, although ive only got the demo, but ive played through it a few times because its so fun..
And Max Payne 2 & PoP & Hitman 2...

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 21/02/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

I didn't have any problems with KOTOR once it was patched, although there were probably one or two blatant 'bugs' that caused the game to go spastic.

I just remembered - I really need to play PoP : Sands of Time!!!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

I'm another Medieval: TW nut.. That game was too addictive. Pity about the campaign ai though..

Joel.. Hurry up, damn you.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 21/02/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

You work at Creative Assembly do you JI? Cool and a half...

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sat, 21/02/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

In no particular order:

SoulCalibur II
Max Payne 2
Knights of the Old Republic

I would expect Price of Persia: Sands of Time to top the list but I haven't played it yet.. (On my to-do list).

BTW, JI: Looking forward to Rome: TW.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Yeah i loved all the total war series, but i can't find viking invasion anywhere.

I loved Shogun TW Mongol invasion. I determined that Mongols are cool.

and hitman 2 was released like 2002 i think.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

GTA: Vice City :D

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Bullet - seriously? I've seen a copy of VI in every EB/Games Wizard store I've been into.
The dark age campaign is alot different to the middle age ones.. For starters, trading is pretty much ineffective, and farms take about 16 turns to build the first step.

So, getting a strong economy is bloody hard :)

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

For me, Knights of the Old Republic kicked all sorts of arse.

Other than that: GTA:Vice City, TRON 2.0, Max Payne 2 and Broken Sword 3 all deserve honourable mentions.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

SB, the EB i live closest to has shit all. :)
They have joysticks but no TW Viking invasion :P.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 22/02/04 - 11:21 AM Permalink

I notice a couple of people have listed TRON 2.0 as one of their favourite games. I was originally excited about it before it came out but I haven't bothered playing it due to some particularly poor reviews I read. Perhaps I'll rethink.

Submitted by stonedwal on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

I'd have to give The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker my nod (I did prefer Metroid Prime, but I had the import in late 2002).

Really enjoyed Soul Calibur 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Shenmue II, Viewtiful Joe and Max Payne 2.

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 24/02/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Ratchet and Clank 2 (PS2)
GTA Vice City (PC)
PGR2 (Xbox) (I'm biased)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 24/02/04 - 10:36 AM Permalink

Did they give you free copies of PGR2? [:)]

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 24/02/04 - 7:41 PM Permalink

Yes a couple, one signed by the whole team which was nice :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Tis an oldy but a goody and a game most probably overlook, but Disciples II + expansions.

Its definately the ony RTS thats managed to keep me entertained for more than a few hours, i think its because of the style of art, which is pretty gothic, and cos well,... the demon race have massive demonic beasts - and the whole game is EVVIILL!!!!!!

I like how your units can level up, you get 2 choose the the path in which they take, basically like a tree structure. The whole model changes into a more epic version, once it reaches enough experience and bam! your Anti-Paladin sprouts wings and becomes an INFERNAL KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... ....

Hordes of the underdark, the expansion for NeverWinter Nights is also pretty cool,.. only because of the Red Dragon Disciple mind you - it has wings you see ;)

Posted by Maitrek on
Forum

So - I guess most of us spend more of our time making games than playing them - but I'm not going to pretend to myself that I make no time for such frivolous activities (in fact I definitely spend more hours playing rather than making) :) So of the games your played from last year, which one stands tallest?

My personal top three are

1. Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic
2. TRON 2.0
3. Max Payne 2 (just)

I thought TRON 2.0 and Max Payne 2 were fairly lack-lustre, but I think the year was fairly lack-lustre overall. I must admit I didn't play much in the way of RTS or RPGs from this year so I guess I'm a little ill-informed!

Pity I didn't play any console titles from 2003 either :(

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:48 AM Permalink

last year was basicly my year of no money, so i didnt get to play that many games :P

Soul Caliber 2 and GTA VC deserve a mention though, both good games :)

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

I played through the single player game of Vietcong last year. I thought it was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

I also played through Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds on PS2, and while simple and certainly nothing new, I found it to be good fun - but then I'm a Buffy fan. But I liked it more then that older Buffy game on xbox anyway.

Enter the Matrix (on ps2) was the only other new game I played extensively, and while it was fairly well done, I didn't really get right into it for some reason. Same with the Matrix movies. For me, there was just something missing.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:41 PM Permalink

Ooh, definitely Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, the best designed game EVER in my opinion. Then there's Deus Ex: Invisible Wars, not quite as good as the original, but a worthy successor none the less.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:50 PM Permalink

Enemy Territory was a big hit.
Need for speed udnerground also held my attention for a long night at a friends house.
I thought savage was also quite a good game, but like many other good games, seemed to be ignored by most people.
Other than that, didn't get a chance to play that many games. Not enough money to buy xbox games, and my PC too crap to play most new PC games :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:51 PM Permalink

Enemy Territory, without a doubt. I would've seriously paid for this game if they didn't release it for free. Great class based FPS with strong emphasis on teamwork, great maps and mission objectives, and enjoyable even with a 56k modem. I was sick of Counterstrike, but I didn't really like Day of Defeat to convert over, so didn't think much of the whole class idea, but it really adds so much more variety and depth to the FPS genre.

Call of Duty was quite good as well. Great single player experience.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 20/02/04 - 12:55 PM Permalink

Wolfenstein ET is great :)

I enjoyed Kotor too, it was kinda buggy though.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 6:50 PM Permalink

Manhunt - for some reason i just love it, maybe it's the violance
ROTK - Really hard but awesome fun especially co-op
Max Payne 2 - Better than the first

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 20/02/04 - 8:07 PM Permalink

Knights of the Old Republic would be a close tie with Metroid Prime in my list...both are great games, but Metroid I think takes the cake with graphics and levels etc.

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:57 PM Permalink

Knight of the old.

ET was funny, and crap I didn't like it, as with a lot of poeple I know.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Submitted by souri on Fri, 20/02/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Sorceror Bob

WW2 is out, and it seems covering the Vietnam war is in fashion now! Battlefield: Vietnam, Shellshock: Nam '67, Men of Valor: Vietnam etc

Submitted by ScORCHo on Fri, 20/02/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

What about Splinter Cell for PC..thats last year isnt it? Its awesome, I love it...And Call of Duty rocks as well, although ive only got the demo, but ive played through it a few times because its so fun..
And Max Payne 2 & PoP & Hitman 2...

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 21/02/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

I didn't have any problems with KOTOR once it was patched, although there were probably one or two blatant 'bugs' that caused the game to go spastic.

I just remembered - I really need to play PoP : Sands of Time!!!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 1:15 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by J.I. Styles

I'm another Medieval: TW nut.. That game was too addictive. Pity about the campaign ai though..

Joel.. Hurry up, damn you.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 21/02/04 - 2:06 AM Permalink

You work at Creative Assembly do you JI? Cool and a half...

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sat, 21/02/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

In no particular order:

SoulCalibur II
Max Payne 2
Knights of the Old Republic

I would expect Price of Persia: Sands of Time to top the list but I haven't played it yet.. (On my to-do list).

BTW, JI: Looking forward to Rome: TW.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Yeah i loved all the total war series, but i can't find viking invasion anywhere.

I loved Shogun TW Mongol invasion. I determined that Mongols are cool.

and hitman 2 was released like 2002 i think.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

GTA: Vice City :D

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 21/02/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Bullet - seriously? I've seen a copy of VI in every EB/Games Wizard store I've been into.
The dark age campaign is alot different to the middle age ones.. For starters, trading is pretty much ineffective, and farms take about 16 turns to build the first step.

So, getting a strong economy is bloody hard :)

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 21/02/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

For me, Knights of the Old Republic kicked all sorts of arse.

Other than that: GTA:Vice City, TRON 2.0, Max Payne 2 and Broken Sword 3 all deserve honourable mentions.

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:23 PM Permalink

SB, the EB i live closest to has shit all. :)
They have joysticks but no TW Viking invasion :P.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Sun, 22/02/04 - 11:21 AM Permalink

I notice a couple of people have listed TRON 2.0 as one of their favourite games. I was originally excited about it before it came out but I haven't bothered playing it due to some particularly poor reviews I read. Perhaps I'll rethink.

Submitted by stonedwal on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

I'd have to give The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker my nod (I did prefer Metroid Prime, but I had the import in late 2002).

Really enjoyed Soul Calibur 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Shenmue II, Viewtiful Joe and Max Payne 2.

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 24/02/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Ratchet and Clank 2 (PS2)
GTA Vice City (PC)
PGR2 (Xbox) (I'm biased)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 24/02/04 - 10:36 AM Permalink

Did they give you free copies of PGR2? [:)]

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 24/02/04 - 7:41 PM Permalink

Yes a couple, one signed by the whole team which was nice :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:06 PM Permalink

Tis an oldy but a goody and a game most probably overlook, but Disciples II + expansions.

Its definately the ony RTS thats managed to keep me entertained for more than a few hours, i think its because of the style of art, which is pretty gothic, and cos well,... the demon race have massive demonic beasts - and the whole game is EVVIILL!!!!!!

I like how your units can level up, you get 2 choose the the path in which they take, basically like a tree structure. The whole model changes into a more epic version, once it reaches enough experience and bam! your Anti-Paladin sprouts wings and becomes an INFERNAL KNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... ....

Hordes of the underdark, the expansion for NeverWinter Nights is also pretty cool,.. only because of the Red Dragon Disciple mind you - it has wings you see ;)