Skip to main content

Open hand held games console

Submitted by lorien on
Forum

Made the frontpage of slashdot today. Looks very interesting, particularly for indies http://www.gbax.com/main.pl

Submitted by CynicalFan on Tue, 20/09/05 - 1:41 AM Permalink

Interesting handheld, if a bit pricy coming close to $300 AUD ? that is for an ?indie? platform. I?d considering buying one in the future if I new that I could play the whole library of Atari Lynx games through an emulator on the thing, but, part of that portfolio is being released on the PSP from Midway ? like Rampart and Rampage. And someone could conceivably port the emulator across to the PSP via homebrew, and in that sense you would be able to play all the Lynx games via the PSP ? the games and emulator come to 20mbs. Though I am not sure that Midway would be at all happy with that, that is if someone goes to the trouble of porting the emulator across, which is a big if as it is the same for this handheld ? the GP2X ? though, there is a Linux version of the emulator, perhaps it wouldn?t take much to have it work on the platform, so that you could bind the buttons to play the games with.

As for indie developers, the last handheld this company released sold around 30,000 units, which isn?t exactly a large market share, and who knows whether this new handheld will sell the same, more or perhaps less ? with stiff competition in the marketplace from the PSP and DS. Though, perhaps if you are an indie and your titles are released via the PC ? Windows and Linux ? then porting a version for this platform which is essentially Linux based may see worthwhile sales.

Posted by lorien on
Forum

Made the frontpage of slashdot today. Looks very interesting, particularly for indies http://www.gbax.com/main.pl

Submitted by CynicalFan on Tue, 20/09/05 - 1:41 AM Permalink

Interesting handheld, if a bit pricy coming close to $300 AUD ? that is for an ?indie? platform. I?d considering buying one in the future if I new that I could play the whole library of Atari Lynx games through an emulator on the thing, but, part of that portfolio is being released on the PSP from Midway ? like Rampart and Rampage. And someone could conceivably port the emulator across to the PSP via homebrew, and in that sense you would be able to play all the Lynx games via the PSP ? the games and emulator come to 20mbs. Though I am not sure that Midway would be at all happy with that, that is if someone goes to the trouble of porting the emulator across, which is a big if as it is the same for this handheld ? the GP2X ? though, there is a Linux version of the emulator, perhaps it wouldn?t take much to have it work on the platform, so that you could bind the buttons to play the games with.

As for indie developers, the last handheld this company released sold around 30,000 units, which isn?t exactly a large market share, and who knows whether this new handheld will sell the same, more or perhaps less ? with stiff competition in the marketplace from the PSP and DS. Though, perhaps if you are an indie and your titles are released via the PC ? Windows and Linux ? then porting a version for this platform which is essentially Linux based may see worthwhile sales.