Skip to main content

Wyvern Lancer WIP

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hi guys,

Just wanted to open this up - Over the next 5-6 months in my spare time im going to be building a character with a budget that some would consider rediculous. [:D]

Im thinking somewhere in the vicinity of 25,000 Tris for the Knight and about 15,000 - 25,000 Tris for his mount. Not to mention a plethora of 2048 or possibly 4096 textures.

I plan on modelling and texturing him naked ( with loincloth [:p] ) basically in a paper doll format, with each piece of armour modelled as a seperate entity in order for some in-game tech to perform things like smashing pieces of his armour off if he takes a heavy blow.

Wow just thinking about those possibilities makes me drool. [:0] Imagine running around in game and seeing a warrior with a massive suit of armour and on one side a massive smash / dent / claw mark... youd be like [:0] i wonder what did that *gulp*.

Rediculous! I hear you say. Well I have no idea when in-game characters will get this proposterus - but im going to take a stab at it now anyway. By Christmas I hope to have an amazing piece of work.

Stay Tuned...

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:30 PM Permalink

Lol, sounds great.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 20/06/05 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Heh sounds cool mate.

Christmas is bloody ages away though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 20/06/05 - 6:55 AM Permalink

Denz: 6 months should be about right - at maybe an hour or 2 every weekend night I think accurately by around christmas I should have something thats not too shabby.

Heres the first progress - just a screengrab straight out of max.

Not really focussing too much on flow and topology just yet. Will wait until more of this guy is blocked out.

Spot the 5 sided polygon! [:D]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200561965345_Wyvern_Knigh…]

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 20/06/05 - 7:44 AM Permalink

Looking nice, keep it up. Going to be awesome once this is finished, good luck with it.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 20/06/05 - 7:08 PM Permalink

great start :)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/06/05 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Looking good :)
What about his beard? Is he going to be a younger warrior or did you just get rid of it for now?
This is going to be really good to watch the progress over time, Im sure you will come out with a very polished piece.
Keep updating along the way :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 20/06/05 - 11:14 PM Permalink

Thanks Guys,

Makk: Yeah hes going to have a Beard Ive hidden all the extras and armour that ive built - just to focus on getting the character built - every time I Unhide them I keep sorta wanting to add to the armour and tweak bits and pieces so i banished them for now [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 21/06/05 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Hey, nice project! I admire the dedication [:)]

START RANT! WOO! Judging by current progression and trends, those specs should be hit in around 3 years. (*edit* just to clarify, that's 3 years 'til we hit that in dev, so plus another 2-3 years 'til that hits market) That's just based off a linear progression though, but I kind of expect another branching like what pixel shaders introduced (possibility of multiple passes, normal mapping, viable material effects etc). So, for example, instead of using 4096's, we most probably will be looking at 2048's with a lot of different material passes like:

diffuse
spec
gloss (as in reflective glossiness, not specular "gloss")
emmission
translucency
transparency and IOR combos
plus any custom based fx pass such as micro virtual displacement in place of bump mapping and for fur effects, or fresnel based "peach fuzz" type effects.

We can do pretty much all of this right now, but severely limited as to how complex/accurate the passes are, how many co-exist, and how nicely they play with each other. END RANT! AWWW...

He's looking good so far, I'll be following the progression very well [;)]

Submitted by Mdobele on Tue, 21/06/05 - 8:46 AM Permalink

I can't wait till huge Physics chips are the norm and we can start throwing millions of calcs a sec at them without a care in the world. Imagine have a chainmail suilt on a guy that accurately moved and reacted.... take a heavy enough blow and the individual links could actually break off... Oh stop me now!

Castles where every single brick actually acts.... like a brick. Smash it with the old catapult in the right spot and watch it come down.

*drool* One Day in a not too distant future.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 22/06/05 - 8:45 PM Permalink

nice flow of the topology wrapping muscle groups in around each other - especially around the neck area. Hope you plan on pushing that a little more into the abdomen as well (belly button loops! yay!)

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 05/07/05 - 10:41 AM Permalink

coming along really well, its certainly going to be a fun project to follow. at this stage i don't have any crits unfortunately, except for asking whether you can give us the polycount at each stage just to see how that changes. good luck though, i hope you see it through to the end.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 05/07/05 - 12:45 PM Permalink

Hey Con, yeah good Idea actually ill post the polycounts from now on!

Currently : 5092 Tri's

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/07/05 - 1:39 PM Permalink

It'd be great it you did a quick summary on how you did things with each update also. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 05/07/05 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Hey haz, saw this little article and thought you'd be interested. Someones trying to put the kind of thing your creating in game.

"Just aiming at their heads doesn't guarantee a one-shot kill, though, because the helmets in Bet On Soldier aren't just there as a requisite of the generic soldier art design. A slug that lands a little too high will knock their helmets off, and you can actually target specific zones of the body and see the effects of your attacks with an integrated MechWarrior-style body frame icon. It popups whenever you put your crosshairs over them. And you can actually see their armor and shields become more damaged."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/630/630201p1.html

I doubt you'll be able to shoot of every plate of armour but its a start :P

Submitted by popawheelie on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:48 PM Permalink

Very nice! I think all game models in the future will have at least 50-100 polys for a belly button. Couldnt u do something like this with todays tech (with a lower poly count and tex size) by using something similar to dynamic textures and PMT-poly morphing tech? hmm maybe not, especially seeing i made up the term poly morphing technology. :) Definately gunna need a HDR map, then it will be technologically hip.

Great work! looking forward to the updates.
pop

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 03/09/05 - 11:07 AM Permalink

Wow, its been a while - spent a few hours on this guy tonight.

I done some rigging tests on his back and shoulder muscles to see how they would work and flex, and wasnt too happy with what was happening to the flow so I reconfigured it since last time.

I've blocked out the hands and I've also blocked out the legs but they are hidden at the moment [:p]

Currently at 5986 tris.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059211454_Knight1.jpg[/…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059211526_Knight2.jpg[/…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 05/09/05 - 3:38 AM Permalink

i was wondering what happened to this, good to see it's still comming along.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 05/09/05 - 6:18 AM Permalink

Yup its still coming along, just got into a bit of a break from work - so have got a few nights to spend on bashing out the naked male.

I set a xmas deadline - but I might be able to make it before. Will see [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 07/09/05 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Got his bum knocked out - going to do some rig tests to see how the muscles work under some strain - so might be making some adjustments to the flow there - but you can see the basic shape anyhow.

I forgot to count the tris of the hands in the last polycount, all up and total now he is at 8020 tri's - A mere 3rd of my budget used [:0] I suspect about another 2000 - 3000 will be used finishing his body, and then the rest will be for his armour - cloak etc.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059611935_Wyvern-Lancer…]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 09/09/05 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Lack of wang angers me

Coming along nice though. I have a feeling the arms may be a little small though. Mostly around the forearm. I'd maybe spend some more time on the elbows too - it's a shitful area to get right.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 09/09/05 - 7:14 PM Permalink

go on, model it. by the time next, next generation comes around we might have R rated games, might be good to get in some practice! [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 10/09/05 - 12:37 AM Permalink

Nice work, really solid thighs which is good cause i fear people usually (including myself) downsize those a bit

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 11/09/05 - 1:45 PM Permalink

Sorcerer Bob: Your right, the forearms arent quite beefy enough yet and slightly lacking in length - the elbows im going to hit again along with the wrist area when I finish blocking out the mesh. Theres a few other niggles to sort out yet also.

Livewire: There are already R - Rated games, and have been for as long as I can remember [;)]

Moonunit: Yeah hes fairly well muscled this guy, I'm using some human reference of mainly body shaper type physiques rather than outright beefcake hulks.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 12/09/05 - 11:13 PM Permalink

i meant in Australia mister 'spoil my joke' [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 17/09/05 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Livewire: There has been R Rated content games in Australia for as long as I remember.... they were just minus the 'R Rating' have to know where to look though [:0]

Anyway - Update Time. Here he is in all his stocky glory - looks a bit funny just yet with the beginnings of armour on his top half and bugger all down below. [:I]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059169367_Wyvern_Knight…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693643_Wyvern_Knigh…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693736_Wyvern_Knigh…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693818_Wyvern_Knigh…]

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hi guys,

Just wanted to open this up - Over the next 5-6 months in my spare time im going to be building a character with a budget that some would consider rediculous. [:D]

Im thinking somewhere in the vicinity of 25,000 Tris for the Knight and about 15,000 - 25,000 Tris for his mount. Not to mention a plethora of 2048 or possibly 4096 textures.

I plan on modelling and texturing him naked ( with loincloth [:p] ) basically in a paper doll format, with each piece of armour modelled as a seperate entity in order for some in-game tech to perform things like smashing pieces of his armour off if he takes a heavy blow.

Wow just thinking about those possibilities makes me drool. [:0] Imagine running around in game and seeing a warrior with a massive suit of armour and on one side a massive smash / dent / claw mark... youd be like [:0] i wonder what did that *gulp*.

Rediculous! I hear you say. Well I have no idea when in-game characters will get this proposterus - but im going to take a stab at it now anyway. By Christmas I hope to have an amazing piece of work.

Stay Tuned...

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:30 PM Permalink

Lol, sounds great.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 20/06/05 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Heh sounds cool mate.

Christmas is bloody ages away though.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 20/06/05 - 6:55 AM Permalink

Denz: 6 months should be about right - at maybe an hour or 2 every weekend night I think accurately by around christmas I should have something thats not too shabby.

Heres the first progress - just a screengrab straight out of max.

Not really focussing too much on flow and topology just yet. Will wait until more of this guy is blocked out.

Spot the 5 sided polygon! [:D]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200561965345_Wyvern_Knigh…]

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 20/06/05 - 7:44 AM Permalink

Looking nice, keep it up. Going to be awesome once this is finished, good luck with it.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 20/06/05 - 7:08 PM Permalink

great start :)

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/06/05 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Looking good :)
What about his beard? Is he going to be a younger warrior or did you just get rid of it for now?
This is going to be really good to watch the progress over time, Im sure you will come out with a very polished piece.
Keep updating along the way :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 20/06/05 - 11:14 PM Permalink

Thanks Guys,

Makk: Yeah hes going to have a Beard Ive hidden all the extras and armour that ive built - just to focus on getting the character built - every time I Unhide them I keep sorta wanting to add to the armour and tweak bits and pieces so i banished them for now [:D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 21/06/05 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Hey, nice project! I admire the dedication [:)]

START RANT! WOO! Judging by current progression and trends, those specs should be hit in around 3 years. (*edit* just to clarify, that's 3 years 'til we hit that in dev, so plus another 2-3 years 'til that hits market) That's just based off a linear progression though, but I kind of expect another branching like what pixel shaders introduced (possibility of multiple passes, normal mapping, viable material effects etc). So, for example, instead of using 4096's, we most probably will be looking at 2048's with a lot of different material passes like:

diffuse
spec
gloss (as in reflective glossiness, not specular "gloss")
emmission
translucency
transparency and IOR combos
plus any custom based fx pass such as micro virtual displacement in place of bump mapping and for fur effects, or fresnel based "peach fuzz" type effects.

We can do pretty much all of this right now, but severely limited as to how complex/accurate the passes are, how many co-exist, and how nicely they play with each other. END RANT! AWWW...

He's looking good so far, I'll be following the progression very well [;)]

Submitted by Mdobele on Tue, 21/06/05 - 8:46 AM Permalink

I can't wait till huge Physics chips are the norm and we can start throwing millions of calcs a sec at them without a care in the world. Imagine have a chainmail suilt on a guy that accurately moved and reacted.... take a heavy enough blow and the individual links could actually break off... Oh stop me now!

Castles where every single brick actually acts.... like a brick. Smash it with the old catapult in the right spot and watch it come down.

*drool* One Day in a not too distant future.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 22/06/05 - 8:45 PM Permalink

nice flow of the topology wrapping muscle groups in around each other - especially around the neck area. Hope you plan on pushing that a little more into the abdomen as well (belly button loops! yay!)

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 05/07/05 - 10:41 AM Permalink

coming along really well, its certainly going to be a fun project to follow. at this stage i don't have any crits unfortunately, except for asking whether you can give us the polycount at each stage just to see how that changes. good luck though, i hope you see it through to the end.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 05/07/05 - 12:45 PM Permalink

Hey Con, yeah good Idea actually ill post the polycounts from now on!

Currently : 5092 Tri's

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/07/05 - 1:39 PM Permalink

It'd be great it you did a quick summary on how you did things with each update also. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 05/07/05 - 10:49 PM Permalink

Hey haz, saw this little article and thought you'd be interested. Someones trying to put the kind of thing your creating in game.

"Just aiming at their heads doesn't guarantee a one-shot kill, though, because the helmets in Bet On Soldier aren't just there as a requisite of the generic soldier art design. A slug that lands a little too high will knock their helmets off, and you can actually target specific zones of the body and see the effects of your attacks with an integrated MechWarrior-style body frame icon. It popups whenever you put your crosshairs over them. And you can actually see their armor and shields become more damaged."
http://pc.ign.com/articles/630/630201p1.html

I doubt you'll be able to shoot of every plate of armour but its a start :P

Submitted by popawheelie on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:48 PM Permalink

Very nice! I think all game models in the future will have at least 50-100 polys for a belly button. Couldnt u do something like this with todays tech (with a lower poly count and tex size) by using something similar to dynamic textures and PMT-poly morphing tech? hmm maybe not, especially seeing i made up the term poly morphing technology. :) Definately gunna need a HDR map, then it will be technologically hip.

Great work! looking forward to the updates.
pop

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 03/09/05 - 11:07 AM Permalink

Wow, its been a while - spent a few hours on this guy tonight.

I done some rigging tests on his back and shoulder muscles to see how they would work and flex, and wasnt too happy with what was happening to the flow so I reconfigured it since last time.

I've blocked out the hands and I've also blocked out the legs but they are hidden at the moment [:p]

Currently at 5986 tris.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059211454_Knight1.jpg[/…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059211526_Knight2.jpg[/…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 05/09/05 - 3:38 AM Permalink

i was wondering what happened to this, good to see it's still comming along.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 05/09/05 - 6:18 AM Permalink

Yup its still coming along, just got into a bit of a break from work - so have got a few nights to spend on bashing out the naked male.

I set a xmas deadline - but I might be able to make it before. Will see [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 07/09/05 - 11:10 AM Permalink

Got his bum knocked out - going to do some rig tests to see how the muscles work under some strain - so might be making some adjustments to the flow there - but you can see the basic shape anyhow.

I forgot to count the tris of the hands in the last polycount, all up and total now he is at 8020 tri's - A mere 3rd of my budget used [:0] I suspect about another 2000 - 3000 will be used finishing his body, and then the rest will be for his armour - cloak etc.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059611935_Wyvern-Lancer…]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 09/09/05 - 10:07 AM Permalink

Lack of wang angers me

Coming along nice though. I have a feeling the arms may be a little small though. Mostly around the forearm. I'd maybe spend some more time on the elbows too - it's a shitful area to get right.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 09/09/05 - 7:14 PM Permalink

go on, model it. by the time next, next generation comes around we might have R rated games, might be good to get in some practice! [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 10/09/05 - 12:37 AM Permalink

Nice work, really solid thighs which is good cause i fear people usually (including myself) downsize those a bit

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 11/09/05 - 1:45 PM Permalink

Sorcerer Bob: Your right, the forearms arent quite beefy enough yet and slightly lacking in length - the elbows im going to hit again along with the wrist area when I finish blocking out the mesh. Theres a few other niggles to sort out yet also.

Livewire: There are already R - Rated games, and have been for as long as I can remember [;)]

Moonunit: Yeah hes fairly well muscled this guy, I'm using some human reference of mainly body shaper type physiques rather than outright beefcake hulks.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 12/09/05 - 11:13 PM Permalink

i meant in Australia mister 'spoil my joke' [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 17/09/05 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Livewire: There has been R Rated content games in Australia for as long as I remember.... they were just minus the 'R Rating' have to know where to look though [:0]

Anyway - Update Time. Here he is in all his stocky glory - looks a bit funny just yet with the beginnings of armour on his top half and bugger all down below. [:I]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/20059169367_Wyvern_Knight…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693643_Wyvern_Knigh…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693736_Wyvern_Knigh…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/hazard/200591693818_Wyvern_Knigh…]