Skip to main content

Neon Genesis Evangelion Concept Art

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Those crafty Weta people over in New Zealand have some concept art of the live version of Neon Genesis Evangelion for show, and it's lookn pretty cool! I'm sure they can pull it off, so it's definately something to look out for. Check it out here: http://forum.xchat.ru/Slashdot/z/

I know there's a fair few people who absolutely love Neon Genesis Evangelion, although I personally didn't quite 'get it' [:)]. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to what they can do. I wonder how the live version of Akira is going!

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 19/01/04 - 8:10 PM Permalink

I still remain very dubious about all live action anime projects. Akira is one that really shouldn't be done. Evangelion isn't too bad an idea, but am still very unsure about it. The live action Transformers could actually be interesting though.

I loved Evangelion, but not for the same reason most people do. I really couldn't care lessabout the giant mecha and aliens. I just loved the character developement and the story line. Plus every single character in it ends up being really fucked up :D

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

It was a pretty cool show i though and the storyline was bizarre but good, however. I must admit it was kind of a kinky show, but thats anime for you. I mean Akira was like that.

The most confusing anime i have watched so far was Perfect Blue on SBS, my god that did not make sense one bit no matter which way you look at it.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

Perfect Blue is awesome. Even people who religiously hate anime like Perfect Blue. It made perfect sense (no pun intended). What did you have difficulties understanding?

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/01/04 - 10:09 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

Perfect Blue is awesome. Even people who religiously hate anime like Perfect Blue. It made perfect sense (no pun intended). What did you have difficulties understanding?

The whole freaking storyline! lol

It didnt make sense. Shes a singer then an actress then her manager tries to kill her while running on lightposts, but her manager is her. Doesnt make much sense too me [;)]

The best anime movie i have seen is Metropolis by the father of anime, Osamu Tazuka. That movie was great because i watched it in the cinema at Civic. Even if it was subtitled it was good [:)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/01/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

I saw perfect blue and i got it, creepy but i got it.

Akira would be a bit... odd live if u ask me, then again i think all animies have a potential to be mega cheesy powerangers affaird when taken live. Anyone whos seen the guyver live action would agree with me :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

lol, I still remember guyver live action - RHINO MAN! My god that was horrid. I still have the scars :/

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

Oh yeah Guyver, I saw that, it was like power rangers with blood and bad language, one of the worst films ever

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

heh heh i remember the rhino dude, the funniest part would probably have to be when he was fighting the zoianoids in the forest (was that the rhino dude?) because it looked so b-grade. Guys in rubber suits beating each other up :P

also a lot of people are hyped about the transformers thing, i know theres plenty of older people who like it but today target audience for transformers is kids, so im expecting a kiddie movie there anyway

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 20/01/04 - 2:28 AM Permalink

Perfect Blue is awesome. Even people who religiously hate anime like Perfect Blue.

Hehe you can say 'Bob or Matt.' Perfect Blue was cool.

Err, not fussed either way on this project.. But if anyone can do it, Weta can.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 20/01/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

The only problem i had with perfect blue is that she woke up about 10 times, but never fell asleep...

I feel that the "Huh!?! Oh, it was all a dream... or was it?" story mechanic is the cheapest nasties of the lot.

cheers

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/01/04 - 12:03 PM Permalink

Anyone seen the live version of Fist of the Northstar? I haven't seen it, but the reviews and the pictures I've seen of it were pretty poor. [:)] It was a considerably low budget movie though.
I still wouldn't mind live versions of Akira and other anime classics, but only if they were done right. Keep the spirit of the movie, don't dumb or water the story down, and throw in lots of stuff that will amaze us (great set designs, CGI etc). I wouldn't mind seeing a live version of Macross either! Make it a trilogy at least though. [;)]

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Speaking of another anime -> live movie...

quote:"Filmmaker James Cameron is finally preparing his next feature six years after his Titanic broke worldwide box office records. Cameron hopes to start shooting the untitled project - which he described to Daily Variety as "a big budget science fiction film with a pile of special effects" - later this year for 20th Century Fox using high-definition 3D video cameras. Cameron announced his plans to sci-fi buffs on Tuesday during a question-and-answer session following a special Hollywood screening of his Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

Could this be Battle Angel Alita??! James Cameron had an interest in doing a live version of it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

dont know but ive got faith that cameron will bring the goods. Specially when he calls it "a big budget science fiction film with a pile of special effects" :P

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

i hope that sentence ends with "and a good story"

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 25/01/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

James Cameron portray of powerful women borders on infantile, he like the whole ?I?m a powerful woman therefore I am attractive and use my sexual allure to achieve my goals? as aposed to the ?I am a strong independent woman? type. I?d rather not see Alita receive that kind of treatment., especially when you combine it with the guys limited knowledge of cyberpunk esk setting (he thinks he knows which makes it worse) .

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/01/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Thats just because you hated Dark Angel isn't it Pants [:P]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 28/01/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Maybe. [^]

But his writing in strange days left a lot to be desired with his understanding (lack) of the cyberpunk genre and bad stereotyping of gender roles.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Yes he is an infidel, he must be stopped!! But can I still admire Jessica Alba Mr Pants? Plllleeeaaaaassseeee???? [:P]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

James Cameron has done some good movies. [:)] He's a pretty anal guy with details, and definately a perfectionist, so most actors find him hard to work with because of this. Anyway, I reckon a movie like B.A.A would be in great hands with James Cameron! You could do much, much worse for a director [:)]
Yeh, Strange Days was pretty uncompelling, I must say.

Submitted by jwalduck on Thu, 29/01/04 - 3:21 AM Permalink

I think I'll have to disagree with you Pants. I don't see sexual allure getting anything for Ripley, Sarah Conner (esp in T2), Mary Elizabeth M's character in the Abyss, or Angela Bassett's character in Strange Days.

I am forgiving (in the "lets just pretend it never happened" way) of Strange Days (as it was written but not directed by James Cameron) and Dark Angel (which is for TV so cannot afford the time for the special effects or perfectionism JC is renouned for, not that I think he has much to do with the day to day production of it).

And for sure I am biased.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Those crafty Weta people over in New Zealand have some concept art of the live version of Neon Genesis Evangelion for show, and it's lookn pretty cool! I'm sure they can pull it off, so it's definately something to look out for. Check it out here: http://forum.xchat.ru/Slashdot/z/

I know there's a fair few people who absolutely love Neon Genesis Evangelion, although I personally didn't quite 'get it' [:)]. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to what they can do. I wonder how the live version of Akira is going!

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 19/01/04 - 8:10 PM Permalink

I still remain very dubious about all live action anime projects. Akira is one that really shouldn't be done. Evangelion isn't too bad an idea, but am still very unsure about it. The live action Transformers could actually be interesting though.

I loved Evangelion, but not for the same reason most people do. I really couldn't care lessabout the giant mecha and aliens. I just loved the character developement and the story line. Plus every single character in it ends up being really fucked up :D

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

It was a pretty cool show i though and the storyline was bizarre but good, however. I must admit it was kind of a kinky show, but thats anime for you. I mean Akira was like that.

The most confusing anime i have watched so far was Perfect Blue on SBS, my god that did not make sense one bit no matter which way you look at it.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 19/01/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 19/01/04 - 10:09 PM Permalink

The whole freaking storyline! lol

It didnt make sense. Shes a singer then an actress then her manager tries to kill her while running on lightposts, but her manager is her. Doesnt make much sense too me [;)]

The best anime movie i have seen is Metropolis by the father of anime, Osamu Tazuka. That movie was great because i watched it in the cinema at Civic. Even if it was subtitled it was good [:)].

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 19/01/04 - 10:41 PM Permalink

I saw perfect blue and i got it, creepy but i got it.

Akira would be a bit... odd live if u ask me, then again i think all animies have a potential to be mega cheesy powerangers affaird when taken live. Anyone whos seen the guyver live action would agree with me :P

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

lol, I still remember guyver live action - RHINO MAN! My god that was horrid. I still have the scars :/

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

Oh yeah Guyver, I saw that, it was like power rangers with blood and bad language, one of the worst films ever

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 20/01/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

heh heh i remember the rhino dude, the funniest part would probably have to be when he was fighting the zoianoids in the forest (was that the rhino dude?) because it looked so b-grade. Guys in rubber suits beating each other up :P

also a lot of people are hyped about the transformers thing, i know theres plenty of older people who like it but today target audience for transformers is kids, so im expecting a kiddie movie there anyway

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 20/01/04 - 2:28 AM Permalink

Perfect Blue is awesome. Even people who religiously hate anime like Perfect Blue.

Hehe you can say 'Bob or Matt.' Perfect Blue was cool.

Err, not fussed either way on this project.. But if anyone can do it, Weta can.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 20/01/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

The only problem i had with perfect blue is that she woke up about 10 times, but never fell asleep...

I feel that the "Huh!?! Oh, it was all a dream... or was it?" story mechanic is the cheapest nasties of the lot.

cheers

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/01/04 - 12:03 PM Permalink

Anyone seen the live version of Fist of the Northstar? I haven't seen it, but the reviews and the pictures I've seen of it were pretty poor. [:)] It was a considerably low budget movie though.
I still wouldn't mind live versions of Akira and other anime classics, but only if they were done right. Keep the spirit of the movie, don't dumb or water the story down, and throw in lots of stuff that will amaze us (great set designs, CGI etc). I wouldn't mind seeing a live version of Macross either! Make it a trilogy at least though. [;)]

Submitted by souri on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Speaking of another anime -> live movie...

quote:"Filmmaker James Cameron is finally preparing his next feature six years after his Titanic broke worldwide box office records. Cameron hopes to start shooting the untitled project - which he described to Daily Variety as "a big budget science fiction film with a pile of special effects" - later this year for 20th Century Fox using high-definition 3D video cameras. Cameron announced his plans to sci-fi buffs on Tuesday during a question-and-answer session following a special Hollywood screening of his Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

Could this be Battle Angel Alita??! James Cameron had an interest in doing a live version of it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

dont know but ive got faith that cameron will bring the goods. Specially when he calls it "a big budget science fiction film with a pile of special effects" :P

Submitted by inglis on Sun, 25/01/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

i hope that sentence ends with "and a good story"

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 25/01/04 - 3:20 AM Permalink

James Cameron portray of powerful women borders on infantile, he like the whole ?I?m a powerful woman therefore I am attractive and use my sexual allure to achieve my goals? as aposed to the ?I am a strong independent woman? type. I?d rather not see Alita receive that kind of treatment., especially when you combine it with the guys limited knowledge of cyberpunk esk setting (he thinks he knows which makes it worse) .

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 27/01/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Thats just because you hated Dark Angel isn't it Pants [:P]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 28/01/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Maybe. [^]

But his writing in strange days left a lot to be desired with his understanding (lack) of the cyberpunk genre and bad stereotyping of gender roles.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

Yes he is an infidel, he must be stopped!! But can I still admire Jessica Alba Mr Pants? Plllleeeaaaaassseeee???? [:P]

Submitted by souri on Wed, 28/01/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

James Cameron has done some good movies. [:)] He's a pretty anal guy with details, and definately a perfectionist, so most actors find him hard to work with because of this. Anyway, I reckon a movie like B.A.A would be in great hands with James Cameron! You could do much, much worse for a director [:)]
Yeh, Strange Days was pretty uncompelling, I must say.

Submitted by jwalduck on Thu, 29/01/04 - 3:21 AM Permalink

I think I'll have to disagree with you Pants. I don't see sexual allure getting anything for Ripley, Sarah Conner (esp in T2), Mary Elizabeth M's character in the Abyss, or Angela Bassett's character in Strange Days.

I am forgiving (in the "lets just pretend it never happened" way) of Strange Days (as it was written but not directed by James Cameron) and Dark Angel (which is for TV so cannot afford the time for the special effects or perfectionism JC is renouned for, not that I think he has much to do with the day to day production of it).

And for sure I am biased.