Skip to main content

From Maya to Max

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Hey everyone, I finally signed up. Iv'e been browsing for a few months now.

I'm trying to model in Max but not getting where I want to go. I mainly use Maya but for this project I'm working on at the moment I need to learn low poly modelling in Max.

Can anyone point me to any good tutorials on building games models in Max or does any one here know both Maya and Max? Which one do you prefer and what tools do you use most in Max (and what do they translate to in Maya?)

All posts appreciated

Submitted by Weta Workshop on Fri, 19/09/03 - 9:55 AM Permalink

Hmm, no takers? hehe

Well I have one question that I need answered desperatly!

In Max, why do all polygons have an edge running diagonaly running through them? When ever I try to move and edge around I get an ugly crease where this 'hidden' edge is.
Is there a way to take them off? Surely Max allows four sided polygons.

Pleeease help me! hehe

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 19/09/03 - 5:21 PM Permalink

I can answer this one :)

Yes max does allow 4 sided polygons (and more) but when it comes to game construction only the true polygon matters and that is the triangle.
You can flip the line between the verts that this is conected to so that the "line" through the quad goes on the oposite angle, but as all polys are made from triangles, no matter the number of edges, it has to be there somewhere.

Also of note is that if you do a "poly count in max while using editable polygon you will get an incorrect number (usualy out by 1/2 give or take), as only the number of triangles (the true polygon) is importent (to get that convert to an editble mesh, do the count convert back.)

Hope that helps

Pantmonger

Submitted by Weta Workshop on Fri, 19/09/03 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Thanks mate! I spent some time with it and I got my head around it.

One questioin for you though Pantmonger do you box model? and if so, do you use edit poly or edit mesh?

Peace!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 20/09/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

I have recently been doing a bit of box (or box esk) modeling using edit poly, the model I have in the comp was done this way. Previous to this I used a combination of constraining primatives and using splines using editable mesh and editable spline. Most of that was back in the 800 to 1000 poly days.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Bite Me on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

edit mesh should get you through all your woes,
and don't worry about that little line running through your polys, max recognises tri's as true polys, the poly count will testify to that,
btw you use the TURN tool to redirect it.
Happy Max'ing,
sorry you can't be using Maya, it's the beeezneeez as I'm sure you'll agree.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 09/10/03 - 7:01 PM Permalink

Edit poly or bust.

In Edit poly selecting edit triangulation allows for edge turning.

The one problem that has seemed to surface with the lean toward quad modelling is that everyone seems to have lost the knowledge that all 3D game objects are constructed using 3 points in world space to form a 'triangle', not a 'square'.

It makes sense after all as a triangle uses the least number of edges to form a plane, any less and its a line any more and its 2 triangles.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 16/10/03 - 4:04 AM Permalink

Ive always used Edit mesh, until you showed me edit poly at Qantm Dean,... damnit i thort edit mesh was the business,.. but edit poly rocks,.. i dunno,.. heaps more control i found.

My models are coming out a bit better now too,... say goodbye to all those DODECAHEDRONS!!

And all the little extra tools like quickslice , ring, loop and connect,.. make adding detail a breeze.

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Mon, 20/10/03 - 6:32 AM Permalink

I do all my modelling in Edit Poly. When its time to get it in the engine I convert it to edit mesh and start flipping any triangles there... turn edges is much easier to use than the edit poly equivalent.[^]

A few tips for getting down to fast modelling in 3dsmax.

1. Set your viewport to faceted.
2. Set your viewport prefs to default 1 light.
3. Set your materials specular value so you can clearly see the triangles.

Doing this will aid you in seeing the triangles that edit poly is creating without cluttering your view with edges. You may also want to change your default mesh selected color to black, not white in prefs. This makes your eye more relaxed when viewing.

About your inner triangle problem, check in your prefferences, viewport settings and you can diable the always show all triangles (i forget what its called... just poke around youll get it). You can then toggle edges only mode on and off in the right click preffs.

email me at dave.king@discreet if you want to know anything more about modelling in max. Once you have it down its waaaaaaaay faster than modelling polys in maya in my opinion.

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Hey everyone, I finally signed up. Iv'e been browsing for a few months now.

I'm trying to model in Max but not getting where I want to go. I mainly use Maya but for this project I'm working on at the moment I need to learn low poly modelling in Max.

Can anyone point me to any good tutorials on building games models in Max or does any one here know both Maya and Max? Which one do you prefer and what tools do you use most in Max (and what do they translate to in Maya?)

All posts appreciated

Submitted by Weta Workshop on Fri, 19/09/03 - 9:55 AM Permalink

Hmm, no takers? hehe

Well I have one question that I need answered desperatly!

In Max, why do all polygons have an edge running diagonaly running through them? When ever I try to move and edge around I get an ugly crease where this 'hidden' edge is.
Is there a way to take them off? Surely Max allows four sided polygons.

Pleeease help me! hehe

Submitted by Pantmonger on Fri, 19/09/03 - 5:21 PM Permalink

I can answer this one :)

Yes max does allow 4 sided polygons (and more) but when it comes to game construction only the true polygon matters and that is the triangle.
You can flip the line between the verts that this is conected to so that the "line" through the quad goes on the oposite angle, but as all polys are made from triangles, no matter the number of edges, it has to be there somewhere.

Also of note is that if you do a "poly count in max while using editable polygon you will get an incorrect number (usualy out by 1/2 give or take), as only the number of triangles (the true polygon) is importent (to get that convert to an editble mesh, do the count convert back.)

Hope that helps

Pantmonger

Submitted by Weta Workshop on Fri, 19/09/03 - 8:01 PM Permalink

Thanks mate! I spent some time with it and I got my head around it.

One questioin for you though Pantmonger do you box model? and if so, do you use edit poly or edit mesh?

Peace!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 20/09/03 - 7:58 AM Permalink

I have recently been doing a bit of box (or box esk) modeling using edit poly, the model I have in the comp was done this way. Previous to this I used a combination of constraining primatives and using splines using editable mesh and editable spline. Most of that was back in the 800 to 1000 poly days.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Bite Me on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

edit mesh should get you through all your woes,
and don't worry about that little line running through your polys, max recognises tri's as true polys, the poly count will testify to that,
btw you use the TURN tool to redirect it.
Happy Max'ing,
sorry you can't be using Maya, it's the beeezneeez as I'm sure you'll agree.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 09/10/03 - 7:01 PM Permalink

Edit poly or bust.

In Edit poly selecting edit triangulation allows for edge turning.

The one problem that has seemed to surface with the lean toward quad modelling is that everyone seems to have lost the knowledge that all 3D game objects are constructed using 3 points in world space to form a 'triangle', not a 'square'.

It makes sense after all as a triangle uses the least number of edges to form a plane, any less and its a line any more and its 2 triangles.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 16/10/03 - 4:04 AM Permalink

Ive always used Edit mesh, until you showed me edit poly at Qantm Dean,... damnit i thort edit mesh was the business,.. but edit poly rocks,.. i dunno,.. heaps more control i found.

My models are coming out a bit better now too,... say goodbye to all those DODECAHEDRONS!!

And all the little extra tools like quickslice , ring, loop and connect,.. make adding detail a breeze.

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Mon, 20/10/03 - 6:32 AM Permalink

I do all my modelling in Edit Poly. When its time to get it in the engine I convert it to edit mesh and start flipping any triangles there... turn edges is much easier to use than the edit poly equivalent.[^]

A few tips for getting down to fast modelling in 3dsmax.

1. Set your viewport to faceted.
2. Set your viewport prefs to default 1 light.
3. Set your materials specular value so you can clearly see the triangles.

Doing this will aid you in seeing the triangles that edit poly is creating without cluttering your view with edges. You may also want to change your default mesh selected color to black, not white in prefs. This makes your eye more relaxed when viewing.

About your inner triangle problem, check in your prefferences, viewport settings and you can diable the always show all triangles (i forget what its called... just poke around youll get it). You can then toggle edges only mode on and off in the right click preffs.

email me at dave.king@discreet if you want to know anything more about modelling in max. Once you have it down its waaaaaaaay faster than modelling polys in maya in my opinion.